Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lookig for Advise - Want to get a road bike, have not owned a road bike in many years

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lookig for Advise - Want to get a road bike, have not owned a road bike in many years

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 01:26 PM
Quarterbore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for Advise - Want to get a road bike, have not owned a road bike in years

Greetings all I am a new member here. I have been a Mountain biker for many years and lately we have been riding on more paved trails as many of the old rail trails in my area have become paved. In the process I have seen the road bikers crusing along at a nice steady pace while me with my monster all steel Trek 820 with various racks, child seat and 2-year old on board really gets to struggle with some of the hills

So, I have been considering buying a second bike that I can just take the bike out for a spin alone on the road or on paved trails to get my heart pumping as opposed to building leg muscles like I do now.

I read the sticky with the advise on buying a used bike and I understand the differences and changes in bikes over the past oh 25+ years since I last owned a "10-speed" road bike. What I am planning to do is hit up some of my local bike shops and check what they have for sale used or on consignment to see if I can find a decent starter road bike to see what I like or don't like without killing my limited budget. I figure if I buy a decent bike and I sell it again in a year or two if I decide I want a new or better bike then I shouldn't really loose too much value beyond say the commission fee.

I am pretty sure I am going to be looking for an alluminum frame bike for this "trial" and I have been very fond of Trek but I am certainly not limiting my search to any brand. What I am curious of however is what would be the general advise on how much a used bike should cost compared to a new bike? For example, if I were looking at bikes that might sell new for about $600 would I be looking at about say $400 for one a that is in good shape but with a couple years on it?

I am just trying to figure out a rough idea of the depreciation on a used bike to make a decision of new-vs-old and I have not looked at road bikes at all yet.

Last edited by Quarterbore; 06-21-11 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-15-11, 01:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The answer is it depends. Probably more than anything else, it depends whom you buy the bike from, and how much they know about the cycling market. My commuting bike has had some problems recently, and I've been looking on Craigslist for a possible replacement; I've seen very similar bikes selling for wildly different prices. Sometimes you'll see one with a price that's much too low or too high, because its owner doesn't know its true value.

Also, if the bike isn't flashy, it can be difficult to sell it for a decent price. I've noticed a lot of bikes being listed at what seems like a reasonable price, but being listed again and again for several weeks.
Old 06-15-11, 01:39 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
seems to me that road bikes hold their value pretty darn good... bikes that sold for $500 5-6 yrs ago, probably are still going to fetch $400ish on the used market unless its beat to hell... AL frame, Carbon fork, tiagra components (or higher) should net you a pretty decent bike... look for somethin 2000 or newer...

I recently went thru this as well and ended up buying new because I couldn't find a bike I wanted without dropping ~$5-600 and they were 5-6 yrs old so i bought one of these https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400306 when they had their memorial day sale... for only a few hundy more and got about 200 in accessories with it for 'free'...

you can find some excellent deals out there if you look... in the trek range I'd point you toward a 1.2 or above...
Old 06-15-11, 01:47 PM
Quarterbore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I did think that if I am going to buy a used bike I need to start spending some time studying the market and learn the prices. At least then if I happen to find a good bike at a good price I would recognize it as such before someone else has already bought it. I have time as I do have a bike but boy the speed demons on road bikes sure do make me wish for something to open up with!

I am sure I will have more questions as I start looking and yea I was looking at the Trek 1.1 or 1.2 as where I would be looking at a new bike equivalent. I think I can swing about $600 but not much more then that for this bike until I am sure I will use it enough to warent the investment.
Old 06-15-11, 02:00 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geographic location can play a large part in prices on the used market as well. Chicago will be much higher than say Pierre, North Dakota. Spend some time on Craigslist and ebay finding bikes that look good to you and look up the difference in their geometry with an eye towards finding a set of numbers you require. Bike shops and swap meets can be excellent places but you may also find something suitable on one of the discount websites like this or this. You can also look at the road bike marketplace on BF.

If you do go used be sure to inspect the frame and components very well for cracks or other problems. And make doubly sure that it fits you properly. It will feel very different having that much seatpost showing compared to an old steel bike.
Old 06-21-11, 08:10 AM
Quarterbore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to say thanks for the advise and to share that I hit up a local bike shop that had a nice 21 speed alluminum framed Fuji Sagres. The bike has the touring (mountain bike like handlebars), nice clip peddles, a Cats Eye computer, and a rack. It rides and shifts great and the light weight is a world of difference compared to the mountain bike.

I got it for $275 with included lifetime service (say $50/yr value in itself). I really have not had the chance to take it for a long ride yet but as a long time Mountain Bike and gravel path rider I must say that skinny tires and a light weight bike sure is very different type of work out!

If I find I ride this a lot, I may buy a properly fitted road bike in a year but for now I am real happy to have a cheap bike to give a go with! Thanks Again!