Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Sprinter’ diet

Old 11-06-17, 05:20 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
When I was training heavily, I relied on a diet based on see-food. I see food and I eat it! Unfortunately, i still eat like an elite athlete
Old 11-06-17, 05:44 PM
kings run east

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brawlo
Testing is where knowledge comes from. Anything else is just speculation and theorising.....which is NOT knowledge.
Well **** I better rework my dissertation then.

Originally Posted by carleton
You have not shown that it works.
Ok I ******* give up. I'm not sure what it is that you think I'm trying to show works or what it is that you'd like me to show you that works, but that's not what I'm attempting to do. I'll just leave you with this:
Originally Posted by kings run east
I'm just suggesting there is a large body of work that suggests that the opinion stated above isn't necessarily Monsanto propaganda.
On a different note, if anyone has any research they can send my way on how the three doshas of ayurvedic medicine can be scientifically explained, I would be fascinated to see it. Please DM me or post here if that's the case. Thanks!
Old 11-06-17, 07:28 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Well **** I better rework my dissertation then.
Making things basic, lets talk about boiling water on human skin. While you may never have tested it yourself, people have, and from that we have the knowledge that boiling water burns human skin. Knowledge is gained from experienced results. From results we can theorise about things that should happen, but the truth is we won't actually have the knowledge until it is tested and (dis)proven.

QUOTE=kings run east;19976494]On a different note, if anyone has any research they can send my way on how the three doshas of ayurvedic medicine can be scientifically explained, I would be fascinated to see it. Please DM me or post here if that's the case. Thanks! [/QUOTE]

There is a great podcast here https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...port-ayurveda/ The crux of ayurveda's success is in it's lengthy development. As far as diets go, it has had literally thousands of years of trial and error development. It's evolution draws significant parallels to what we might call the scientific method in the modern age
Old 11-06-17, 08:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Is Ayurvedic medicine effective?
Studies have examined Ayurvedic medicine, including herbal products, for specific conditions. However, there aren’t enough well-controlled clinical trials and systematic research reviews—the gold standard for Western medical research—to prove that the approaches are beneficial.
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/ayurveda/introduction.htm
Old 11-07-17, 04:52 PM
kings run east

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Studies have examined Ayurvedic medicine, including herbal products, for specific conditions. However, there aren’t enough well-controlled clinical trials and systematic research reviews—the gold standard for Western medical research—to prove that the approaches are beneficial.
This is exactly my point- Western medicine can't prove that it's beneficial. But there are many, many people (billions?) who believe that it is. Because they can't prove it with your (our) techniques, does that mean that they are wrong?

I can't find my copy of Violence, but in it Slavoj Žižek suggests that though science was used as a tool to dislodge the hegenomy of religion as the source of knowledge during the enlightenment, now, at least in the Western world, it's assumed the same position religion once had. Science does many things very well (most of the things related to track cycling, btw), but the complexities of nutrition seem to defy it... I'm gluten intolerant, which was unheard of 30 years ago, but I would offer that the emergence of celiac sprue in the last ten years is just one example that there is still much to learn about nutrition. The 180 on the role of fat is another. Again, my point is only that differing views on nutrition are valid and that attempting to prove them through an internet forum is a tall order.

There is a great podcast here https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...port-ayurveda/ The crux of ayurveda's success is in it's lengthy development. As far as diets go, it has had literally thousands of years of trial and error development. It's evolution draws significant parallels to what we might call the scientific method in the modern age
Thanks! Your point about boiling water is well taken, but how would boiling water on someone's skin effect the traffic patterns of their city that day? Once we use inferred scientific analysis beyond the individual and into a complex, relational system it's capacity for prediction breaks down...
Old 11-07-17, 05:08 PM
carleton
Elitist

Do you know what the words Believe, Proof, and Explanation literally mean?
Old 11-07-17, 05:37 PM
brawlo

Your point about boiling water is well taken, but how would boiling water on someone's skin effect the traffic patterns of their city that day? Once we use inferred scientific analysis beyond the individual and into a complex, relational system it's capacity for prediction breaks down...
Once you bring such an argument/hypothesis into the ring, you open the door to blow the whole cancer/animal meats thing out of the water. Cancer has literally a plethora of increased risk associations. Looking at one particular lifestyle trait is dangerous unless you look wholistically at the lifestyle of the test subjects. Increased cancer rates may well be tied to any number of other factors, while the subjects coincidentally ate meat. It's a slippery slope. Maybe those that make the lifestyle choice to not eat meat are therefore more acutely aware of other potential risk factors and so mitigate those as well, thus meaning they inadvertently associate lower cancer risk with their diet.

In the end, it's pretty well known that diets work by calorie restriction. That's pretty much it, stripped right down to the basics. The method by which this is done will dictate the success for the individual.
Old 11-07-17, 07:18 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Well this thread took a turn.
Old 11-07-17, 08:28 PM
brawlo

It's all good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1lthdo.jpg (50.1 KB, 124 views)
Old 11-07-17, 10:02 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Are you sure?
Old 11-07-17, 10:20 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Well this thread took a turn.
Diet is an important discussion topic - hope it gets back to daily diet discussion (and especially diet during day long events such as sprint tournaments).
Old 11-09-17, 11:38 AM
kings run east

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once you bring such an argument/hypothesis into the ring, you open the door to blow the whole cancer/animal meats thing out of the water. Cancer has literally a plethora of increased risk associations. Looking at one particular lifestyle trait is dangerous unless you look wholistically at the lifestyle of the test subjects. Increased cancer rates may well be tied to any number of other factors, while the subjects coincidentally ate meat. It's a slippery slope. Maybe those that make the lifestyle choice to not eat meat are therefore more acutely aware of other potential risk factors and so mitigate those as well, thus meaning they inadvertently associate lower cancer risk with their diet.
+1

In the end, it's pretty well known that diets work by calorie restriction. That's pretty much it, stripped right down to the basics. The method by which this is done will dictate the success for the individual.
And then there's keto. Once I changed what kind of calories I was consuming and ate much more of them, I lost 25 lbs in a year that I had been trying to lose for two decades.
Old 11-09-17, 11:54 AM
kings run east

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Diet is an important discussion topic - hope it gets back to daily diet discussion (and especially diet during day long events such as sprint tournaments).
Here's a link to a podcast Geoff Fryer did for the moto-enduro podcast Seat Time. Geoff is talking about the overlap between moto-enduro and mtb-enduro in terms of nutrition, but he was on the second place team sprint squad in the US Nats in 2013 so he knows track cycling (and sprints) as well. A lot of what it boils down to is high sugar intake on game days and experimentation before competition days to find what works for you, but it's worth listening to.

Enduro Nutrition with Geoffrey Fryer
Old 11-09-17, 03:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Here's a link to a podcast Geoff Fryer did for the moto-enduro podcast Seat Time. Geoff is talking about the overlap between moto-enduro and mtb-enduro in terms of nutrition, but he was on the second place team sprint squad in the US Nats in 2013 so he knows track cycling (and sprints) as well. A lot of what it boils down to is high sugar intake on game days and experimentation before competition days to find what works for you, but it's worth listening to.

Man, that was the most rambling podcast I've heard in a long time. I gave up after 15 minutes.

This is the podcast that gives podcasts a bad name
Old 11-09-17, 04:34 PM
brawlo

+1

And then there's keto. Once I changed what kind of calories I was consuming and ate much more of them, I lost 25 lbs in a year that I had been trying to lose for two decades.

So obviously keto worked for you. Were you on a keto diet during a competition phase? And further from that, with that keto experience, what is your take on fuelling with sugars?

My own personal experience with HIGHLY successful dieting was with the 5/2 diet in 2014 and then HFLC last year.

The 5/2 diet achieved me a weight loss of 10kg in 10 weeks. My mother was really concerned because I was dropping weight so fast. She was worried there might be something drastically wrong with me after losing my father 7 years prior to cancer. The problem with that diet was it impacted performance for the diet day and the day following. While it's a good way to lose fat, it is not a good diet for someone working on performance. It was definitely not a long term diet for me, although many are successful and happy with it in the long term. But some big positives did come out of it. I was truly surprised at the performance that was possible when restricting calories so drastically (500cal on diet days) and it was a great education in picking and choosing how to consume your calories to provide maximum benefit.

HFLC achieved me a loss of 17kg in 10 weeks. A much more drastic weight loss, but performance didn't suffer at all, in fact I did get stronger and faster while on the diet. I wasn't specifically keto or paleo, although I'm pretty sure I would have tipped over into ketosis as my carb intake was really low at about 30g/day. The best thing to come out of HFLC was eliminating the sugar ups and downs. Becoming fat adapted made for a much more consistent performance level rather than the ups and downs of sugar/carb fueling. Also, due to the super low carb intake, I would drink a small can of red bull about 20min before my F200 and it was like throwing on a supercharger as the sugar would really hit hard!
Old 11-09-17, 04:59 PM
kings run east

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorry to hear about that, brawlo.

So obviously keto worked for you. Were you on a keto diet during a competition phase? And further from that, with that keto experience, what is your take on fuelling with sugars?
I wasn't in a competition phase, I'm actually new enough to this to not have structured diet / workouts to have a competition phase yet, so take all of my experience with a large grain of salt...

From what I understand, with sprints you can't really avoid the need to quickly replenish your glyco stores. Someone else on here suggested that with sprints you can't actually deplete your glycogen, but I've found that I do better with some sugar on race days. I don't do at-home blood testing for insulin, but it doesn't feel, at least to me, that if I'm having sugar on race day that I bounce out of keto. I haven't felt the need to fast afterwards yet.

Mark Sissen of Mark's Daily Apple (a primal blueprint blog, the source of a lot of Grant Petersen's info for Eat Bacon Don't Jog) has written that sprinting sessions can deplete your glyco stores, and suggests a mix of carbs and protein to recover. He offers more specific advice for endurance athletes here.
Old 11-09-17, 05:34 PM
brawlo

I don't think the glycogen aspect is cut and dried. I've had great success with no carb fuelling. I know a national champ and record holder that is the same and on HFLC. I also know a high level M4 master that is a dribbling mess without carbs. His body is different to ours. Up until I went HFLC I NEEDED protein isolate to recover from hard efforts. It made a big difference to my recovery. Since HFLC I have zero problems with recovery aside from some cramping early in my HFLC journey. Increasing my magnesium intake seems to have fixed that issue. I no longer take any protein supplements and I am the strongest I have ever been on the bike.
Old 11-09-17, 06:01 PM
kings run east

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super interesting- do you intake anything during competitions?
Old 11-09-17, 08:40 PM
brawlo

Besides the red bull before the f200, no. Just water. I have a bacon/egg/avocado breakfast when the comp is early afternoon. Then I'll eat on the way home or when I get home which is a 2hr drive. For local racing that runs into the evening and have longer scratch and handicap racing, I'll just do lunch and eat afterwards. When I'm good about the HFLC (I'm currently pretty relaxed about it) I'm a bulletproof coffee for "breakfast" and 2 meals for the day (lunch& dinner), so it's a form of intermittent fasting. I do a short but hard 45min weight session during my work lunch break and have no problems with energy.
Old 11-10-17, 10:47 AM
kings run east

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Besides the red bull before the f200, no...
That's kind of funny, I've noticed that I cherish my coffee that much more being HFLC... thanks, this is super interesting and helpful. Maybe I don't need game-day sugar and carbs...
Old 11-10-17, 07:57 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Unfortunately, i still eat like an elite athlete
I resemble that remark
Old 11-17-17, 02:54 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
I'm into it.
Old 11-17-17, 09:23 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
I'd eat cardboard before Olive Garden. And I'm no food snob... I'm from the trailer park.
Old 11-18-17, 07:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Several years ago, the Wall Street Journal did an article about a commission the Italian government created to travel the world and certify restaurants as official Italian restaurants. The reporter took the commissioner to the Oliver Garden in Times Square. The waiter brought out the breadsticks. The commissioner picked one up, described it as "a warm hotdog bun" then walked out.
Old 12-05-17, 10:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
I gotta admit i havent eaten at an Olive Garden in years, but in its defense, i would say theres a place for it.

When people get older they get kind of stuck in their ways -- case in point
My mom loves the stuff, she has a simple palate and loves spaghetti and meatballs, --- if im roped into going there, i can usually find something non offensive to eat. Definitely better than eating military MRE's or something

Her absolute favorite place to eat is Chick-Fil-A , -- Another place i have very limited experience with, but everytime i drive past one, no matter the time of day, they are packed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.