Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Any riders out in LA looking for a new bike friend?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 01-01-20, 04:07 PM
StFleury

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never joined a forum before but I知 compelled! I recently moved from Brooklyn, New York and now live in Los Angeles, specifically the Del Rey/Mar Vista area.

I used to ride all the time when I lived in fairly flat Williamsburg and when I rode I was in the best shape of my life (my thighs were glorious). However when I moved to Crown Heights (crazy hills and terrible traffic) it just wasn稚 as safe as there were barely any bike lanes. I gained weight and my bike collected DUST.

Now that I知 in LA, I am compelled by the sun to get out and without a car I want to see the city without using a car service all the time. Plus I知 itching to lose the weight I致e gained.

Long story short... I知 a just a fixie biker looking for another fixie biker to go on some rides with and shed some poundage in the meantime.

Bike: I have a Mercier Kilo TT but might be upgrading to the Pro in the next few weeks.

Last edited by StFleury; 01-01-20 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 02:21 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
Welcome @StFleury! I think you'll find several LA users on bike forums, some in this sub-forum (SS/FG) and others in the regional forum: https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/

I am in San Diego myself but I've ridden (fixed) in LA a few times over the years and generally had a good time. Other users may be able to recommend you specific groups and communities around there as well. Cheers!
Old 01-04-20, 10:38 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I lived on the east side when I was in LA, so I don't know much about what goes on in Mar Vista. I'd recommend checking out what SWAT is up to (@shewolfattackteam on IG) -- they're cool folks and really into organizing WTF rides and such. And if you're interested in track at all, consider doing a certification class at Encino velodrome. The Monday night sessions there are lots of fun and welcoming to all skill levels. Might be tough to get there from your location without a car though.
Old 02-26-20, 03:23 PM
Stravacyclist79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StFleury
Never joined a forum before but I知 compelled! I recently moved from Brooklyn, New York and now live in Los Angeles, specifically the Del Rey/Mar Vista area.

I used to ride all the time when I lived in fairly flat Williamsburg and when I rode I was in the best shape of my life (my thighs were glorious). However when I moved to Crown Heights (crazy hills and terrible traffic) it just wasn稚 as safe as there were barely any bike lanes. I gained weight and my bike collected DUST.

Now that I知 in LA, I am compelled by the sun to get out and without a car I want to see the city without using a car service all the time. Plus I知 itching to lose the weight I致e gained.

Long story short... I知 a just a fixie biker looking for another fixie biker to go on some rides with and shed some poundage in the meantime.

Bike: I have a Mercier Kilo TT but might be upgrading to the Pro in the next few weeks.
You can join/find a club on Strava something like this https://www.strava.com/clubs/justridela
Old 03-02-20, 09:54 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Come and visit the Bikerowave some time, located in Mar Vista by Venice & Centinela . It's a volunteer run co-op and a great place to meet other cyclists. Right now there are two rides that meet Thursday nights at 7:30pm, one fast and one slow. You can check them out on Instagram as The Mixed Race and The Mixed Fits