Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever gotten a speeding ticket riding a bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has anyone ever gotten a speeding ticket riding a bike?

Old 02-03-20, 12:50 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Almost, but they couldn't catch me.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-03-20, 02:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My grandfather got pulled over once for doing +65mph in a 50 zone. This was in the late '80s, when he would have been in his 70s. The cop gave him a very protocoled warning, but just shook his head and said something to the effect of "you've been doing it this long, you must know what you're doing."
65! WOW! who can do 65? I am not challenging, just amazed...that is just crazy fast.

my top speed is 49 before spinning out, it was a 50 zone. someday i'll get there.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-03-20, 03:40 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
65! WOW! who can do 65? I am not challenging, just amazed...that is just crazy fast.

my top speed is 49 before spinning out, it was a 50 zone. someday i'll get there.
65 mph. I spin out at about 44ish.

Old 02-03-20, 05:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Does failure to obey a traffic signal count? Apparently it did to Sgt Nugent of the Loudoun County Sheriff's motor patrol. He ticketed me for leaving about 1 second early on a red-to-green change. Hi, Sgt Nugent!
Maybe you can claim to the judge that while you started moving prior to the green, you didn't enter the intersection until after it changed. Otherwise, yep that's a violation.
Old 02-03-20, 06:01 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have not but witnessed a person getting one. We have a city ordinance on our MUP in a few spots that its 10mph max because the high population areas around parks. Rarely enforced but last fathers day it was super busy of course and I saw a guy get a ticket for doing at lease 25-30 though one of the areas. He deserved it could have been really bad too. During he week is very quit and nobody cares on the weekend its watched.

But its only a city ordinance so not speeding ticket per say like a car.

I can't be the only person when they see the big rolling trailers that show your speed try the darndest to beat the speed limit and get a pic!?! Then I would be proud to get one, short of that I don't want to give away any of my hard earned money.
Old 02-03-20, 07:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We did not get one in 2013 on a flat road in flat farmland north of Indy when the radar detector display showed us at 40 on our tandem. Hmmmmm. Probably more like 14 or 15. We have been in the low 40's on downhills on that bike.

Old 02-04-20, 01:25 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I was riding past a school once (no computer/speedometer) and heard someone yell out "Eighteen!" - it was a motorcycle cop hiding behind a wall. Didn't get a ticket, but he certainly could have nailed me.
Likes For Eric S.:
Old 02-04-20, 03:30 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I was a member of the Arlington County bike club in VA '79-'81. Rides started just outside Arlington National Cemetery close to the Lee mansion at the top of a hill. It was easy to exceed the speed limit, and the cops often gave chase in the Studebaker Larks. They never caught anyone on any of the rides I was part of.
Old 02-04-20, 03:54 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Yes, doing 45mph in a 25mph residential zone about 20 years ago. It was downhill, with a good view of the traffic, and about 200 yards of run-out at the bottom, so no safety issues with other vehicles. While I had chugged up the hill (original intent was just to get up the hill) a cop had pulled up on a short, undeveloped cul-de-sac at the bottom. I came screaming by him and he caught me and wrote me a speeding ticket. I went to court on and got it dismissed since the cop did not have a speed monitoring device focused on me to check my speed (he just guessed). I still have a photocopy of the ticket.

FWIW: This is one of the very few times I've gone fast on a downhill since I had some ideal conditions - I could see the route and the run-out area ahead of me, the pavement had just been resurfaced (nice and smooth, no potholes) and it was in an area that was just being developed with custom single-family homes with lots of empty lots (making for the great view of the route).
Okay, oh noble Skidder, you are the winner of this competition—the only man in the world ever to have been ticketed for speeding on a bike. And with a photocopy to prove it! (Cipollini doesn’t count, since his ticket wasn’t exactly for speeding.)
Likes For Moishe:
Old 02-04-20, 04:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
A big high five for this accomplishment and winning this sort of competition.
Old 02-05-20, 06:13 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Back in the '70s, the small town where I grew up had a well-known speed trap (after a short steep downhill of a ~30-foot drop, the road leveled off but was a 25mph zone) The cops would sit about a quarter-mile after the downhill to catch 'speeders'. Since they were sitting there daily, and I had to pass by there on my way to the city swimming pool, I tried my best -- on my trust Sears 3-speed - to catch the cop's attention. Every day I'd pedal as fast as I could and yell out 'How fast today?', and the cop would laugh and call out my speed as I rode by. I think my fastest was 29mph. Ahh, life in Smalltown America...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 02-06-20, 02:42 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I have not and wouldn't stop to recieve it.
Old 02-06-20, 08:27 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe
In the history of the universe, has it ever happened?

A few years ago, I was riding down a long hillside slope of a rural wooded road. At about 30+ mph, I noticed a car behind me. Well, at that speed, I was taking the entire lane, especially since the speed limit was 30 or 35, so the car was just going to have to follow me for another mile. Then I noticed that the car was a state trooper. By then I was well over 40 mph, and no way was I going to slow down after sweating so much to summit that hill. My only thought then was Oh man, it would be so great if the guy gave me a speeding ticket. I would have been so proud, I’d have had the ticket matted and framed and hung in the most prominent spot in my house. No such luck—the bastard gave me nothing, just a friendly wave as he passed me.
my friend recently did in NYC
Old 02-07-20, 04:20 PM
cratz2

Bikes: Road mostly. Specialized, Fuji, Jamus, KHS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We have a time share in Belleair Beach, right next to Clearwater. The overpass/causeways are speed traps.

I've never been pulled over or ticketed but I've had them while their lights many times.

That almost shouldn't count as they are VERY pronounced downhills. If you really wanted to, I'd imagine you could get up to 70 MPH or even higher. Braking is required if you don't want to hit 50.
Old 02-07-20, 05:21 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
Not speeding, but as a youth in Mt. Prospect, IL I was cited for riding in the middle of Northwest Hwy (with someone on the handlebars) on a stingray. I had to attend a class on a Saturday, where I and other bicycle hooligans got lectured on bike safety.
Old 02-08-20, 01:05 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Not speeding, but as a youth in Mt. Prospect, IL I was cited for riding in the middle of Northwest Hwy (with someone on the handlebars) on a stingray. I had to attend a class on a Saturday, where I and other bicycle hooligans got lectured on bike safety.
That's like giving detention to nerds for throwing spitballs, while bullies are curb stomping kids at the bus stop.... Schizophrenic societies....
Old 02-09-20, 05:44 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Back in the day on a tour through upstate NY, I was barreling down a hill on my fully-loaded touring bike coming into a "hamlet", with a posted speed limit of 20 mph. The local officer gave me a verbal warning for doing 43 entering his "hamlet", and continued to be gracious and recommended an ice cream shop "to let my brakes cool", as he stated. Later that tour, somewhere in PA, I did manage my top speed of all time, 62 mph down a gloriously steep, straight hill, that ingloriously ended at a T-intersection. So unfair...
Old 02-10-20, 08:44 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
one day I was on my way to a big group ride, when I saw a speed trap up ahead with cops with radar guns. I sprinted as fast as I could right towards the cop and he shot me and as I was passing said 32 miles an hour oh, it was a 25 mile an hour Zone. turned around and begged him to give me a ticket but he wouldn't do it. If he had I would have framed it.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 02-10-20, 09:15 AM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
one day I was on my way to a big group ride, when I saw a speed trap up ahead with cops with radar guns. I sprinted as fast as I could right towards the cop and he shot me and as I was passing said 32 miles an hour oh, it was a 25 mile an hour Zone. turned around and begged him to give me a ticket but he wouldn't do it. If he had I would have framed it.
I don't think it should count if you have to beg for the ticket. The cop should give it to you out of the badness of his heart.

But you get enormous credit for asking.

Last edited by Theypeedonmyrug; 02-10-20 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-10-20, 12:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Theypeedonmyrug
I don't think it should count if you have to beg for the ticket. The cop should give it to you out of the badness of his heart.
I think that anyone requesting, let alone begging that an LEO cite him* for speeding and issue him* a ticket for some sort of bragging rights is asking for a sobriety or drug test.
*I can't imagine a woman pulling such a lame stunt.
Old 02-10-20, 01:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by westrid_dad
Back in the day on a tour through upstate NY, I was barreling down a hill on my fully-loaded touring bike coming into a "hamlet", with a posted speed limit of 20 mph.
It hit 49 mph descending into Ticonderoga, NY, during a self-contained trip across the U.S. It was the fastest I hit during the entire trip.
Old 02-10-20, 01:31 PM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I think that anyone requesting, let alone begging that an LEO cite him* for speeding and issue him* a ticket for some sort of bragging rights is asking for a sobriety or drug test.
*I can't imagine a woman pulling such a lame stunt.
How many guys wearing lycra, at 8 oclock in the morning , who can sprint over 30 mph are going to be targets for a sobriety test. You are apparently have nothing else to do but be rude and troll.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 02-10-20, 02:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by San Rensho
How many guys wearing lycra, at 8 oclock in the morning , who can sprint over 30 mph are going to be targets for a sobriety test.
Not enough IMO, if there are many guys who take pride in begging or encouraging police officers to issue speeding tickets to themselves. I assume that few sober or otherwise rational cyclists, lycra-wearing or not, would amuse themselves in this manner regardless of the time of day.
Old 11-14-20, 05:21 PM
leadsfromme123

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving reading all of these.