Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Geometry is Killing us. Literally at one intersection.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 05:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

For you guys out there, ever find yourself cycling along and notice an attractive woman walking toward you on the sidewalk with a tree between you and her? The tree is so close to the woman that as you cycle at say 15 mph and she walks at 2 mph, the tree will STAY between you and her foiling any chance you might have for a better look. Unless of course you, or she, alter speed.

There is a scientific phenomenon where this occurs with a cyclist (the woman), a car (the man), and the front pillar post of the vehicle (the tree). Only instead of resulting in frustration it often ends in tragedy.

If you like geometry, and want to learn how to avoid crushing or getting crushed at an intersection with clear lines of sight, then this is for you. Enjoy

Collision Course: Why This Type Of Road Junction Will Keep Killing Cyclists

» Collision Course: Why This Type Of Road Junction Will Keep Killing Cyclists
Old 01-11-18, 05:59 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
For you guys out there, ever find yourself cycling along and notice an attractive woman walking toward you on the sidewalk with a tree between you and her?
Is the tree transparent, or am I using some sort of towed-array hottie spotter?

The tree is so close to the woman that as you cycle at say 15 mph and she walks at 2 mph, the tree will STAY between you and her foiling any chance you might have for a better look. Unless of course you, or she, alter speed.
There are good looking women all over the place. I'm more interested in this apparently unique tree that I can sort of see through.
Old 01-11-18, 06:10 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
There are good looking women all over the place. I'm more interested in this apparently unique tree that I can sort of see through.
Funny. Tree is solid. Woman is spied far up the road briefly, then disappears behind the tree forever. Even though both people keep moving at a steady rate of speed the woman and the tree remain in "eclipse".
Old 01-11-18, 06:23 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple solution:

Old 01-11-18, 06:29 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,021 Posts
This is a problem for pedestrians as well - I see it all the time.

That said, I am now firmly anti-geometry.

I am also against molecules.
Old 01-11-18, 06:52 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
There are many decent roadway design guidelines available.

All of them specify having intersections meeting at 90°, flat, level w/ unobstructed view. As any of those deviate from that ideal, then other changes are required to maintain safety, such as decreasing speed or adding stop signs.

The linked, unimplemented modification is okay, but a better solution would be to have modified both minor roads so that both met the major roadway at 90°, with the added benefit of being offset, to ensure the vehicles on the minor road come to a stop.
Old 01-11-18, 06:57 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Too much math but a good looking woman is hard to beat
Old 01-11-18, 07:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,428 Posts
This is an important and worthwhile article for anyone wanting to improve his own safety on the road. I strongly recommend that people read the original in it's entirety.

While the car's pillar is a factor, these collisions also happen at sea where there's no visual obstruction.

The reality is that humans are not good at calculating the vectors involved and predicting the future positions of themselves and crossing objects. When the speeds and angles are right a crossing object will appear to stay in the same place (angle in the field of vision) and so it's very easy to underestimate it's speed (it's not moving at all, right?) and not be aware if the risk of collision.

When you and a car are approaching an intersection at right angles, odds are that you'll under estimate it's speed, but much more important is that the driver will greatly under estimate yours, so neither of you won't make the adjustment to avoid collision.

There's not much anyone can do about this, but awareness will ensure that at least one party (you) will make the necessary adjustment, or at least be prepared to if the other party doens't do so first.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-11-18, 07:05 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

That said, I am now firmly anti-geometry.

I am also against molecules.

What about gravity? Not only is it a good idea, it's the law!

Kidding aside, it was a very interesting article. I would surmise the strange angle is somewhat of a fluke which made this particular phenomenon particularly prevalent there. Seems it would be a simple and relatively inexpensive fix.
Old 01-11-18, 07:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
What about gravity? Not only is it a good idea, it's the law!

Kidding aside, it was a very interesting article. I would surmise the strange angle is somewhat of a fluke which made this particular phenomenon particularly prevalent there. Seems it would be a simple and relatively inexpensive fix.
Not at all. The problem is somewhat independent of angle, and at sea manifests at just about all crossing angles.

As an example, I was sailing on a large schooner, and we were slowly passing another sailboat that seemed to be on a parallel course. Turns out it wasn't and both crews were watching a collision in slow motion until it became obvious and we altered course at the last minute.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-11-18, 07:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I detest non-90ş intersections. Nearby Riverside is chock full of them.
Old 01-11-18, 07:57 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Simple solution:

Simpler solution; when approaching an intersection where you don't have right of way, slow down. Stop if necessary. If there are obstacles blocking your view of cross traffic, move your head.
Old 01-11-18, 08:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Oh, I can imagine the return of the bubble shaped Pacer.

Perhaps a little more work to reduce the pillars. There are quite a few cars with frameless windows on the doors, but still have the main pillars.

That is one thing I dislike about Mom's Prius, really bad rear visibility
Old 01-11-18, 08:11 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Simpler solution; when approaching an intersection where you don't have right of way, slow down. Stop if necessary. If there are obstacles blocking your view of cross traffic, move your head.
Not quite so simple. What about when you have the right of way.

Intersection accidents are usually the result of 3 incorrect assumptions.

1- I've correctly estimated the speed and position of the approaching vehicle.
2- the approaching driver has correctly estimated my course and speed
3- I have the right of way and the crossing driver will recognize that and yield

We can blame intersection design, but the fault is human, not technical. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's come to an intersection where the crossing driver is dutifully stopped at a stop sign. Then at the last, and most inconvenient moment has decided it was a good time to proceed.

Stay alive by being ready to react not only to what drivers should do, but what they might do.

Old 01-11-18, 08:13 PM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
The collision occurred because the drivers blew the stop.
Old 01-11-18, 08:16 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps a little more work to reduce the pillars. There are quite a few cars with frameless windows on the doors, but still have the main pillars.
It's a shame that the article focused so much on the main pillar. Has it occurred to anyone here that bicycles don't have these pillars?

While drivers were at fault here, the bicyclists contributed by relying on false assumptions about what those drivers were going to do.

Old 01-11-18, 08:21 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The collision occurred because the drivers blew the stop.
Assumption no.3 in my post immediately above yours.

Old 01-11-18, 08:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
For you guys out there, ever find yourself cycling along and notice an attractive woman walking toward you on the sidewalk with a tree between you and her? The tree is so close to the woman that as you cycle at say 15 mph and she walks at 2 mph, the tree will STAY between you and her foiling any chance you might have for a better look. Unless of course you, or she, alter speed.

There is a scientific phenomenon where this occurs with a cyclist (the woman), a car (the man), and the front pillar post of the vehicle (the tree). Only instead of resulting in frustration it often ends in tragedy.

If you like geometry, and want to learn how to avoid crushing or getting crushed at an intersection with clear lines of sight, then this is for you. Enjoy

Collision Course: Why This Type Of Road Junction Will Keep Killing Cyclists

» Collision Course: Why This Type Of Road Junction Will Keep Killing Cyclists

I should point out that the crash in the scenario Joey is using as an example is different; it wll lead to a single vehicle crash. Cyclist will veer toward the right as he focuses all his attention to the right hoping to see that woman. This rightward veer will take him into the tree. Woman walks past unharmed.

Ben
Old 01-11-18, 10:36 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's a shame that the article focused so much on the main pillar. Has it occurred to anyone here that bicycles don't have these pillars?

While drivers were at fault here, the bicyclists contributed by relying on false assumptions about what those drivers were going to do.
True,

A basic rule of driving is to assume all the other drivers are going to do something entirely stupid. So, for example, when sitting at a stop sign, you see a car signalling a right turn. One should assume they're not going to turn until it is proven otherwise.

So, there are two cases...
  1. Car never stopped, and blew the stop sign. Cyclist had right-of-way, not stop. The cyclist SHOULD have seen the car approaching and not stopping, and should have simply stopped and yielded to the car.
    However, that does require a little extra attention on the part of the cyclist. Perhaps an accident can be avoided 99 out of 100 times, but there is always that 1/100 time.
  2. Car did a quick stop & go stop. These are the least predictable. Car appears to be stopped, but when one gets right in front of them, they start moving again.
    Fortunately these stop and go stops are the least lethal as speeds are often reduced, and both parties often note their error and take evasive actions before an accident occurs. This may also be the reason why the first cyclist in the article was spared serious injury.

I'm not sure the staggered intersection favored by the author is the answer. I find them to be quite annoying. Yes, they should slow traffic, and that might be worthwhile considering. Although, for a cyclist, it often means merging onto a busier street for a block or so.

I hit this one a few times a year.

Ok, similar, but slightly different from what the author is proposing. The main road (219) goes through a jog without stops, and the side road merges onto the main road, then off again. Somewhat odd for a block for the cyclists on back roads thrown onto a busy road for a block, then back onto the back roads (Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway). Does it reduce the forward view of the cars going through the jog at speed?

As I frequently cut a diagonal course through Springfield, I have wondered about one stop sign that it can be easier to take a right onto the main street, cut over to the center turn lane, and left back onto the next residential street, rather than trying to cross two lanes of busy traffic on the one street.

Riding Eastbound on F street, right on 14th, then left on E street can be easier than going straight through eastbound on E with a stop at 14. I think there is a bike lane on 14th, so the right onto 14th is somewhat protected, and again the left onto E is from a center turn lane, so one has a whole block to choose the best place to cut left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0504...9955297,16.23z

Further Eastward, 21 & E, there is a funky jog in the street. Usually not a problem, but the short jog tends to encourage a diagonal across the streets, and perhaps not as safe as going straight across.

For the intersection in the article, another option would be to add a 4-way stop, perhaps with big red flashing lights in all directions. And, enforce drivers actually stopping.
Old 01-11-18, 10:50 PM
FBinNY 

IMO, the problem with the proposed solution is that it trades one problem for another.

The new design means that all through traffic in either direction will need to make a left turn. Left turns are their own hazard and already account for a fair number of collisions, including head-ons, which generally have the highest fatality rates. That's a key reason roundabouts are becoming so popular with traffic engineers.

In Mexico, an intersection like this would be left alone, except for inclusion of speed bumps or humps in advance of or at the intersection, so blowing through is no longer an option. Slowing for the bumps means more time to recheck cross traffic before proceeding.

Old 01-11-18, 11:14 PM
CliffordK

IMO, the problem with the proposed solution is that it trades one problem for another.

The new design means that all through traffic in either direction will need to make a left turn. Left turns are their own hazard and already account for a fair number of collisions, including head-ons, which generally have the highest fatality rates. That's a key reason roundabouts are becoming so popular with traffic engineers.

In Mexico, an intersection like this would be left alone, except for inclusion of speed bumps or humps in advance of or at the intersection, so blowing through is no longer an option. Slowing for the bumps means more time to recheck cross traffic before proceeding.
The article is set in the UK, so driving on the left, and a left turn is equivalent to a right in the USA.

That being said, the assumption is that the driver's side door pillar is part of the problem obscuring the view on the driver's side, and making a left turn (UK, Right USA) might not completely solve the problem.
Old 01-11-18, 11:21 PM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Assumption no.3 in my post immediately above yours.
I don't think it's an assumption.

My one sentence makes the issue much more clear.

The whole closing-angle stuff is a red-herring. And based on a lot of speculation. The closing-angle argument assumes the cars didn't really stop.

Even if there wasn't a pillar, the drivers might not have noticed the cyclists. Heck, the might not even been able to notice a car.

The point of requiring a stop is to eliminate the issue of things like closing angles.

What other accidents have occurred there?

Now of this means cyclists should not drive defensively.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-11-18 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 11:22 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
[*]Car did a quick stop & go stop. These are the least predictable. Car appears to be stopped, but when one gets right in front of them, they start moving again.
Fortunately these stop and go stops are the least lethal as speeds are often reduced, and both parties often note their error and take evasive actions before an accident occurs.
One hopes that will be the case, however, the difference between being missed entirely and being at least partly sucked under the front wheels is a couple of feet at best. Once the bike starts laying over with the weight of the car on top of it and your legs somewhere in that mess, serious, debilitating injury is very likely. Fortunately in mine, I coupled swerving and braking with standing up as high as I could, so I went on top of the hood. That wouldn't have been possible with a lot of trucks that have a taller front end.
Old 01-11-18, 11:39 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I don't think it's an assumption.
That doesn't mean cyclists should not drive defensively.
We agree.

I mentioned assumption No.3 responding to your suggestion of adding a stop sign. The assumption I had in mind wasn't yours, but was the cyclist's expectation that the driver would in fact stop.

Good design and traffic laws can offer a certain measure of protection. But one needs to accept that with a grain of salt and not assume that everyone is working from the same play book.

The best protection is what we do for ourselves by being ready for anything.

Old 01-12-18, 05:37 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
This is an important and worthwhile article for anyone wanting to improve his own safety on the road. I strongly recommend that people read the original in it's entirety.

While the car's pillar is a factor, these collisions also happen at sea where there's no visual obstruction.

The reality is that humans are not good at calculating the vectors involved and predicting the future positions of themselves and crossing objects. When the speeds and angles are right a crossing object will appear to stay in the same place (angle in the field of vision) and so it's very easy to underestimate it's speed (it's not moving at all, right?) and not be aware if the risk of collision.

When you and a car are approaching an intersection at right angles, odds are that you'll under estimate it's speed, but much more important is that the driver will greatly under estimate yours, so neither of you won't make the adjustment to avoid collision.

There's not much anyone can do about this, but awareness will ensure that at least one party (you) will make the necessary adjustment, or at least be prepared to if the other party doens't do so first.
I never was very good at geometry and all that stuff, but yes, it was a good article, even if reading it did give me a headache.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.