Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What's the narrowest Q-factor gravel crankset?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-11-20, 07:41 AM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts

Hello all-
I am looking for the narrowest Q factor crankset for a PF30 bottom bracket (or narrow options in general). My current crankset is a praxis and I have too much healstrike on the crankarm. It's causing knee issues. I'm used to campy 102 mm bb narrow q-factors.

Any suggestions?
TIA
Ron

Last edited by dualresponse; 03-11-20 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-11-20, 09:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
What q measurement are you used to and what can your frame handle?

The Praxis Zayante's q measurement is 147mm, which is on the low side of typical road and gravel cranksets.
Old 03-11-20, 10:19 AM
dualresponse

Oh gosh -don't scare me about praxis already being narrow!!! LOL

I'll go measure tonight when I get home.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-11-20, 11:17 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Heel strike on the chainstays?
Old 03-11-20, 11:42 AM
dualresponse

I shouldn't say healstrike- more where the inside of shoe near the highest shoe strap strikes the prominence in the crank arm. I will post some pics when I get home
Old 03-12-20, 06:24 PM
dualresponse

oKAY- Got some pics

You all had some good questions. Fortunately, I had a spare praxis crankset sitting around so I could place it right over my road crankset. The road cranks are SRM cranks on the 102mm bb.

Here's what I learned-
There's more than simple "q-factor" involved- specifically, there is more than the internet's definition of q-factor as the "width between the crank inside edges."

First pic- , the praxis cranks arms are wider than the SRM's. This increases the effective "outer width" q-factor..
Even though the internal q factors between the cranks aren't that much different- when you add in the "outer width's" of the praxis cranks, the second pic reflects the effective q factor of how much wider the pedals would be mounted.

Second, the SRM cranks are almost dead straight, the praxis have a protruberance in the arm, about where my thumb is, which is where I am hitting (third and fourth pics).

Third-as mentioned, the 147 praxis internal width is pretty narrow by gravel crank standards. If there was something narrower- I want it. I've got plenty of room before the cranks would interfere with the chainstays. I would also want straighter cranks to avoid the protruberance at the thumb.

What blows me away, is that I could mount the 102 square taper and srm cranks on the gravel bike and it would clear- IF there was a way to retrofit a square taper into a pf30- note- I don't think I'm ready to rip out the factory pf30 and try a retrofit thingee quite yet- as the pf30 is currently tight, and not squeaking.

Comments? Thoughts?

Last edited by dualresponse; 03-12-20 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 08:31 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by dualresponse
oKAY- Got some pics

You all had some good questions. Fortunately, I had a spare praxis crankset sitting around so I could place it right over my road crankset. The road cranks are SRM cranks on the 102mm bb.

Here's what I learned-
There's more than simple "q-factor" involved- specifically, there is more than the internet's definition of q-factor as the "width between the crank inside edges."

First pic- , the praxis cranks arms are wider than the SRM's. This increases the effective "outer width" q-factor..
Even though the internal q factors between the cranks aren't that much different- when you add in the "outer width's" of the praxis cranks, the second pic reflects the effective q factor of how much wider the pedals would be mounted.

Second, the SRM cranks are almost dead straight, the praxis have a protruberance in the arm, about where my thumb is, which is where I am hitting (third and fourth pics).

Third-as mentioned, the 147 praxis internal width is pretty narrow by gravel crank standards. If there was something narrower- I want it. I've got plenty of room before the cranks would interfere with the chainstays. I would also want straighter cranks to avoid the protruberance at the thumb.

What blows me away, is that I could mount the 102 square taper and srm cranks on the gravel bike and it would clear- IF there was a way to retrofit a square taper into a pf30- note- I don't think I'm ready to rip out the factory pf30 and try a retrofit thingee quite yet- as the pf30 is currently tight, and not squeaking.

Comments? Thoughts?

I don't know where you get this from. Q-factor is measured outside to outside of crank arms. Why make this complicated. It's simple.
147mm is narrow. The only problem is if the Q is too wide and you are going uphill standing on it, you will have to fight the handlebars... fight the bike back and forth. Otherwise..forget about it.

Last edited by trailangel; 03-13-20 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 08:40 AM
dualresponse

Okay. It's simple. outside to outside.
147 narrow as it gets.

Last edited by dualresponse; 03-13-20 at 08:56 AM.