Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I stripped the CRAP out of my Chain ring bolts....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 09:46 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FSA SLK crankset. Swapping out stock for praxis works chainrings. front FSA bolts are a t30 and the rear is a 6mm. I got 3 of them out easily but 2 of them buggers are really stuck in there and now that I have stripped both the T30 AND the opposite 6mm, they are REALLY in there.

WTF do I do now?
Old 10-22-12, 09:58 PM
AlabamaCommuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
FSA SLK crankset. Swapping out stock for praxis works chainrings. front FSA bolts are a t30 and the rear is a 6mm. I got 3 of them out easily but 2 of them buggers are really stuck in there and now that I have stripped both the T30 AND the opposite 6mm, they are REALLY in there.

WTF do I do now?
Drill them out?
Old 10-22-12, 10:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5773 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
I assume you're talking about typical chainring nut and bolt pairs. If so the easiest way is to use a countersink (you need a power drill) from the back. As the countersink enters, it separates the back flange from the nut and the bolt pushes through.

Buy a new set of 5 and you'll be good to go. The nut should be dry where it meets the chainring (helps prevent spinning) and the screw greased.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-23-12, 09:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If so the easiest way is to use a countersink (you need a power drill) from the back. As the countersink enters, it separates the back flange from the nut and the bolt pushes through.
I've used an ovesize standard drill bit to do the same thing. Use a bit large enough to overlap the original hole and drill just deep enough to separate the flange (or bolt head) from the nut (or bolt shank). I've never had to remove chainring bolts this way but I have safely removed clipless pedal cleats from shoes where the bolts' 4 mm recesses are too damaged to fit a hex key.