Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Trek Emonda SLR frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-08-20, 01:44 AM
Alex1098

Bikes: Trek Emonda slr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

hi to all of you

i purchased a new trek emonda slr frame and at the box, it was missing the carbon front derailleur washer (part number w531901)
from bike24.de they told me that this is not included and you have to buy it separately. to be honest, i do not believe them because without this i won't be able to build my bike.

thanks
Old 01-08-20, 05:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Thanks for posting. If someone else on BF orders one of those frames they will know to order the washer at the same time! Hope it doesn't take too long. And welcome to BF!
Old 01-08-20, 05:15 AM
Alex1098

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Thanks for posting. If someone else on BF orders one of those frames they will know to order the washer at the same time! Hope it doesn't take too long. And welcome to BF!
thanks for your reply

i ordered it already but it is not honest not to include this part.
they should inform me at least, as they say, that I need to buy the seat mast as an extra.
the strange is that they include the bolt for the washer but not the washer.

we will see, maybe i will contact with trek
Likes For Alex1098:
Old 01-10-20, 02:39 PM
eastsideride

Bikes: Checkpoint; Stache; Remedy; Slash; Emonda

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Hey there, Mitch from Trek here. Part number W531901 wouldn't come with the frameset. Not all front derailleurs would need this which is why it is not sold with the frame. We ship our frames pretty bare to let the customer choose how they want to build it. I confirmed this with the parts list for the frameset just to be sure.
Likes For eastsideride:
Old 01-10-20, 02:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Thanks for clarifying! OP should rest better knowing nobody took advantage of him.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-11-20, 09:15 AM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eastsideride
Hey there, Mitch from Trek here. Part number W531901 wouldn't come with the frameset. Not all front derailleurs would need this which is why it is not sold with the frame. We ship our frames pretty bare to let the customer choose how they want to build it. I confirmed this with the parts list for the frameset just to be sure.
Thanks for clarifying this. I for one was was extremely distraught by the original post. Please send me a set of Aerolus pro 3 V wheels to help with my anguish and restore my faith in Trek.
Likes For flyjimmy:
Old 01-11-20, 09:23 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Build it 1X, problem solved!
Old 01-11-20, 10:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
You should have bought the frame through your local dealer. A lot of that third party stuff gets you bupkis. If you buy it from your dealer you get full warranties and support. Then again me personally I wouldn't buy a Trek. The 520 was a decent machine until they decided to get rid of the steel fork and replace it with aluminum. If they had done carbon, I could see ok following trend. Carbon is not great for traditional double rack touring but a carbon fork with mounts is easily sold and a steel fork is not hard to get but an aluminum fork seems fairly low value.
Old 01-11-20, 06:06 PM
eastsideride

Bikes: Checkpoint; Stache; Remedy; Slash; Emonda

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You should have bought the frame through your local dealer. A lot of that third party stuff gets you bupkis. If you buy it from your dealer you get full warranties and support. Then again me personally I wouldn't buy a Trek. The 520 was a decent machine until they decided to get rid of the steel fork and replace it with aluminum. If they had done carbon, I could see ok following trend. Carbon is not great for traditional double rack touring but a carbon fork with mounts is easily sold and a steel fork is not hard to get but an aluminum fork seems fairly low value.
The 520 is still a decent machine. The reason for the change to the aluminum fork was due to the integrated headset bearings which gives longer life to your headset and is simpler to work with. When making the change to the headset, we had to modify the fork crown. In steel, it was simply too heavy for the weight we wanted to maintain, so we went to aluminum instead since it keeps the weight down but allows us to make it just as strong for mounting weight to the front of the bike. If it was heavier, others might complain about that. But the frame will remain steel and the bike shares the same history as the early 520.

Anyways, we got a little off topic...

Last edited by eastsideride; 01-11-20 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 02:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
The 520 is still a decent machine. The reason for the change to the aluminum fork was due to the integrated headset bearings which gives longer life to your headset and is simpler to work with. When making the change to the headset, we had to modify the fork crown. In steel, it was simply too heavy for the weight we wanted to maintain, so we went to aluminum instead since it keeps the weight down but allows us to make it just as strong for mounting weight to the front of the bike. If it was heavier, others might complain about that. But the frame will remain steel and the bike shares the same history as the early 520.

Anyways, we got a little off topic...
Never had any issues with a standard EC34/EC34 headset. You put a quality Cane Creek unit in there and no issues even a 40 is a fine one that is unlikely to have many problems. Stick with a standard fork easy peasy. I get just dropping in bearings is super simple but how often are people removing cups and replacing headsets? The only headsets I have replaced have been loose ball or caged stuff that is cheap and one of those was because it was a poor IS design and the bearings got crushed.

I got to wonder if Trek was really doing a lot of headset warranties because I haven't ever had to do one and that is my job is warranties.

However yes we did get off topic.
Old 01-20-20, 06:17 AM
Alex1098

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
thanks for your answer.
trek confirmed that this part should be included
so now they will send to me the missing part.