Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Custom build recommendations

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-24-21, 11:26 AM
amokeu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Just got myself what I'm 99% sure is a Boardman MTB PRO FS (27.5) frame, It's sprayed Kawasaki green, still has the rear shock, and I've got around £800/$1100 to build it with*, I'd like a nice smooth bike, preferably a nice loud hub, high gearing (11x1), musts are good brakes and sus forks, I'm happy to buy decent condition second hand parts, etc; but what parts would you choose with this budget?

*Max is £1000/$1400 I would say
Old 05-26-21, 09:42 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
SRAM GX 12 speed eagle group (Shimano Deore has a 1 x 12 option too) with Shimano SLX brakeset plus a set of used wheels from a pinkbike seller or a similar venue. Figure out what travel and steering tube length you needthen soutce the fork the same place you got the wheels, or shop the closeouts,

with used suspension, you will have to factor in servicing both ends, but thats how id approach building up a frameset on a budget

i just checked and the kalloy uno line is still out there for the cockpit pieces. A dropper post is a luxury item at your price point, but PNW components makes good ones somewhat cheap

youncould buy a very nice hardtail, like a base model Specialized Chisel, for less than the cost that i would anticipate it will take to finish out a frameset.

gx or deore group- 350 ish
used wheels. - 300
used decent fork - 400
tires - 120
brakeset - 350
cockpit using kalloy type parts - 125
cables, grips misc. - 100
service used suspension— 100 minimum

very roughly - 1845 us dollars

add dropper - cheap one - 250, but subtract the 30 the budget postcost

so over 2k in parts

but you said its a Boardman, so im assuming you are in the UK. You may be able to get far better prices through Ribble, Merlin and Chain Reaction on the new parts
Old 05-26-21, 09:47 AM
DMC707

Just googled your bike. Its 1600£ brand new. It is darn hard to equal that Bikes new specs for that kind of price
Old 05-26-21, 11:10 AM
amokeu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Just googled your bike. Its 1600£ brand new. It is darn hard to equal that Bikes new specs for that kind of price
Well, I think I've managed to get it cheaper with a lot of upgrades provided the sales stay until when I buy the selected parts individually, which they usually do over in the UK. I've built something off of the stuff you said, and found some steals whilst doing it.

Groupset - Sram GX Eagle Dub Boost Groupset - £370 (bikeinn.com)
===
Derailleur
Shifter
Cassette
Crankset
Chainring
Chain
===

Wheels -
Rear - Hope Rear 27.5 Fortus 23W - Pro4 - Shimano Aluminium Freehub - £140 (backpacking-united.com) - £140
Front - Hope Pro 4 27.5 Front - £160

Forks - Rockshox - £200
Stem - NNukeproof Neutron AM Stem - £25
Bars - Renthal Fatbar - £70
BB - Sram GXP - £35
Headset - FSA Orbit C-40 ACB/Industrial - £25
Seat - DMR OiOi - £35
Misc - £50

If anything (like the rockshox) looks underpriced that's because not sure what it's like in the US, but ebay has got some absolute steals for good quality parts, so I'll easily be able to find some 27.5 rockshox in 130/140mm for 150-230, and in total it'll probably be just over what I've priced it at, I'm hoping, but is there anything you would change?
Old 05-26-21, 11:12 AM
amokeu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amokeu
Well, I think I've managed to get it cheaper with a lot of upgrades provided the sales stay until when I buy the selected parts individually, which they usually do over in the UK. I've built something off of the stuff you said, and found some steals whilst doing it.

Groupset - Sram GX Eagle Dub Boost Groupset - £370 (bikeinn.com)
===
Derailleur
Shifter
Cassette
Crankset
Chainring
Chain
===

Wheels -
Rear - Hope Rear 27.5 Fortus 23W - Pro4 - Shimano Aluminium Freehub - £140 (backpacking-united.com) - £140
Front - Hope Pro 4 27.5 Front - £160

Forks - Rockshox - £200
Stem - NNukeproof Neutron AM Stem - £25
Bars - Renthal Fatbar - £70
BB - Sram GXP - £35
Headset - FSA Orbit C-40 ACB/Industrial - £25
Seat - DMR OiOi - £35
Misc - £50

If anything (like the rockshox) looks underpriced that's because not sure what it's like in the US, but ebay has got some absolute steals for good quality parts, so I'll easily be able to find some 27.5 rockshox in 130/140mm for 150-230, and in total it'll probably be just over what I've priced it at, I'm hoping, but is there anything you would change?
(edit) forgot to put in an xd driver but those go new on ebay for £30 so I'll pick one up on the way.
Old 05-26-21, 12:26 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by amokeu
(edit) forgot to put in an xd driver but those go new on ebay for £30 so I'll pick one up on the way.

Nice -- only word of warning i have is to make sure the rockshox travel length is the same as the factory machine - (some bikes you can go a little longer )