Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

60 gear inches Fixie too low?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

60 gear inches Fixie too low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 04:42 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
It has nothing to do with dogma or individuality. The OP is a first-time fixie rider on a 26" wheel and a 60-inch gear with no foot retention. You might recommend sandals, but I sure don't.
looks like those sandals are closed toe. the heel look supposed a little,
Old 05-27-21, 06:43 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by takenreasy
To each their own. I ride 72 GI and wear Xero Colorado sandals. They are perfect because they keep my feet cool and I don't adhere to cycling dogma plus I'm getting old and don't care what others think. Whew, and I can also do run-on sentences.
I could see this working if I'm just putting around, never building up a high spin. Maybe this is what you do? I regularly hit 150 rpms down a hill near my house... no way do I want any chance of my feet coming off pedals and the disaster that would surely follow.
Old 05-27-21, 08:58 AM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Yep, just putting around. Sometimes 60-70 miles including reasonable hills. I don't do gadgets so not sure how many rpms.
Old 05-27-21, 10:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My FG is still set up for 59" from winter. In a normal year, I would be back up to 71" by now, but I'm still working on my <<constitutional wind>>.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-27-21, 10:17 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Just once, my feet come off the pedals on a descent. I choose to ride without foot retention, but with brakes.

My App later confirmed I peaked at 30 mph, which I think is somewhere around 150 rpm. I lost concentration as I was slowing down to a more comfortable pace as the slope levelled, and I had to take my feet off the pedals. I could instead have braked, but it was a quiet road and I wanted to see what would happen. You know what? The bike just gradually slowed down until at about 15 mph I was able to catch the pedals again and keep riding.

Of course, if it had been a longer hill, the bike wouldn't have slowed down, but that's why I have brakes: just in case I can't spin fast enough, or the chain comes off, or I hit a bump and a foot comes off the pedal.

Back in the days of penny farthings, it was an accepted technique to take your feet off the pedals and drape your legs over the top of the handle bars so you would be thrown clear in the event of a crash.