Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2016 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixie

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 10:15 AM
Klebinek

Bikes: Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but need some advice. I've been riding hard since my early days. I'm 41 and throughout my life had multitude of bicycles ranging from MTB such as Cannondale F series, lefty fork model, Iron horse 6 point 6 3k bike with another 1k of upgrades from wheels, tires to suspension - fox air shock went out so replaced with titanium spring/new shock as well as few other bicycles.

About 5 Year ago I sold my 6 point 6 MTB and bought a Kona Paddy Wagon.

Second I sat on it, med size (I'm 170lb 5'10") it felt like nothing I've ever sat on. Basically with proper seat adjustment it was made for me and bought it on the spot.

First couple of year I rode it as is with both brakes and single speed freewheel.

2/3 years ago I've decided to give fixed gear a try since it has a flip flop rear hub. 6 months into it ive removed the rear brake as I was getting used to skidding and sliding. About a year ago I've removed the front brake as well and put on a bell 🙂.

Long story short I fell in love with the feeling it gives me. I can say I've mastered riding brake less.

I'm also snowboarding and competing and it may sound funny but I no longer crave snowboarding since the bike allows me to swerve left right leaning pretty aggressively at high speed (I call it pavement surfing) and delivers almost identical sensation/rush as on a snowboard with proper body weight distribution.

I've had crap load of crashes and spilled blood a lot but luckily no broken bones. I put on about 100 to 150 miles a week and have been consistent for the last 2 years.

I am in a market for a road bike 2/3 k range since I took out at 27mph with 200 plus crank rpm and can't keep up with regular road bikes. I am planning to keep my Kona wagon for ever though since we have some real history unlike any other bike I've owned.

Problem is I've outgrew my gear ratio and am looking to upgrade the front sprocket from 43t to something higher like 45t or bigger but unable to find one. Drive train is FSA. Rear sprocket is 16t and would like to leave as is.

Should I buy a new front hub/chainring or does anyone know where to find a larger front sprocket?

I appreciate any feedback in advance.
Old 05-28-21, 03:08 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The Kona is a sweet bike. But the deal with no brakes on public roads and wearing out your rear tire to stop less efficiently is an anomaly in the fixed gear world I'll never understand
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-28-21, 01:12 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Klebinek
Should I buy a new front hub/chainring or does anyone know where to find a larger front sprocket?
I don't understand why you'd need a new front hub. If you want a taller gear and you want to keep the 16T cog, then you have no other choice but to increase the chainring size. Just be sure to get the same BCD and hole pattern. I recently found a good deal on a chainring on eBay.

I can say I've mastered riding brakeless.
I've had crap load of crashes and spilled blood
Evidently, we have different definitions of the word "mastered."

Last edited by Rolla; 05-28-21 at 01:15 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-01-21, 12:24 PM
Klebinek

Bikes: Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's got close to 3k of year round riding including snow/salt/mud/rain but feels solid though. I though while changing chainring size, might as well replace the entire drivetrain to something better, lighter but I'm on the fence. I'll most likely check eBay in that case, I appreciate it!
Old 06-01-21, 03:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I am in a market for a road bike 2/3 k range since I took out at 27mph with 200 plus crank rpm and can't keep up with regular road bikes
I appreciate any feedback in advance.
I suggest learning to pedal at 260rpm.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-02-21, 07:12 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The front hub is attached to your front wheel. FYI. You might be referring to the bottom bracket. Which is the thing your cranks spin around inside of.

You want a bigger chain ring. Figure out the BCD of your crank. Order chainring.

There is some other stuff to know. Like you need a longer chain. And too big of a ring might hit your chain stay. And 1/8” thick vs 3/32” chainring might matter depending on the rear cog.
Old 06-03-21, 12:58 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
If you've put that many miles on the drivetrain already, you'll probably need a whole new drivetrain. Chainring, chain, and cog.
Old 06-04-21, 09:44 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Based on the riding style you’ve come to love, I’m surprised you find fixed gear works well for you. I’d think fast, sharp turns would work better with a single speed. But if you’re having fun, keep it up!

It is not hard to replace your chain ring with a bigger one. Just need to pay attention to a few things, as mentioned above. Mainly it’s getting the right BCD size. After looking at your crank to see what size it takes, go to Retrogression and you can order a new chain ring, cog, and chain, from probably the best shop in the US for fixed gear parts.

For a couple thousand bucks, you can get a really decent road bike. I’d recommend a steel frame. All City, one of my favorite bike companies, has some nice stuff in that range (numerous models) and so does Surly (Cross Check, Midnight Special, or Straggler). Salsa also has some cool stuff, but they do carbon and aluminum frames. I think they put steel in some of their touring bikes, which will not have the geometry you’re after. Inventories might be really low right now. You might find you prefer a flat bar. There are flat bar road bikes from the factory, or you can do a conversion.

Last edited by Broctoon; 06-04-21 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-11-21, 08:33 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Changing 1 tooth on the rear equates to roughly 3 teeth on the chainring. So going to a 15t cog will be like going to a 46t chainring.