Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

AMTRAK Chicago Layover: 30min vs. 4hrs

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

AMTRAK Chicago Layover: 30min vs. 4hrs

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-21, 04:57 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Good to hear..and good to know about the bike on the Hiawatha. Looks like a beer at (maybe?) the Hubbard Lodge Beer Garden..very good Sunday brunch. In the heart of Milwaukee, but you'd swear your way up north.

The Oak Leaf intersection location escapes me. I'm sure I've ridden it..more than once..probably more than twice..
Likes For fishboat:
Old 06-13-21, 03:47 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I've done Amtrak several times a year through Union Station. The trains aren't ALWAYS late, but 30 minutes is way too tight to depend upon it. The 4 hour layover can be enough time to enjoy "The Loop" but securing the bike and gear would be a challenge. From Union Station you can get on the lakefront trail, head north and work your way through the trail system that leads to Milwaukee. There is a state park with campsites near Zion Il which is a good place to stay..

Simply Cycle: It seemed like a good idea!

Marc
Likes For irwin7638: