Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Donor Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-21, 06:53 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Donor Bike

I just got a Raleigh Capri FWO off of FB Marketplace. I can't ride the bike because FWO stands for "For Women Only" and I am not a women. Plus the frame is too small for me, and more importantly there is a crack in the steerer tube. I am stripping it down for the parts. It was made circa 2004, and the components are Shimano 105's. I paid a $100 for it. Regardless it's inexpensive buying those components brand new. I don't know if I got played or got a deal.

Yes I know the frame is clamped to the stand, but I am not too worried about preserving the frame because the head tube is cracked.
Old 06-13-21, 07:50 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If the parts you remove from the bike are worth at least $100, then it's a good deal.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-14-21, 11:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If 17 year old mid level parts from a damaged bike are worth $100 than yeah I guess. 650c is not super useful unless you have an old Tri bike or something. Who knows without seeing the stuff and the condition it is in. The seller thought they were worth at least $100 so that is something. I wouldn't say 105 of that era is particularly desirable but 105 has always been a solid entry level road groupset, that will generally do its job decently and isn't low end.

Maybe, maybe not.
Old 06-14-21, 11:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I bought a bike once from a sketchy guy and his pal for $60. Lots of rust and the fork was badly bent. They snickered as I walked away. But the Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur alone was worth the asking price. It also had a Suzue high flange hubset and a nice japanese crankset. I let them have their laugh. Love donor bikes.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-15-21, 08:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What was your goal in making this purchase? Were you looking for a 3x9 speed early STI groupset? Are the wheels sellable? If the goal was to accumulate parts for some future unforeseen build, then you did okay. What trim positions are supported by the left shifter?
Old 06-18-21, 02:49 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If the parts you remove from the bike are worth at least $100, then it's a good deal.
New 105 Brifters cost over a $100. I know I have old shifters, and they are dinged up but I don't care as long as they work. A new 105 rear derailleur is $61 off of Amazon. 105 cranks are also expensive. I felt like I got a good deal and someone got a $100 to get rid of a bike that was taking up speed, and that his GF couldn't ride because she has RA.
Old 06-18-21, 02:55 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
...and that his GF couldn't ride because she has RA.
... and because the headtube had a crack in it
Old 06-18-21, 04:55 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by csport
The brifters got a little dinged up. I am sure I can find some tops and replacement rubber for them.
Old 06-18-21, 04:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If 17 year old mid level parts from a damaged bike are worth $100 than yeah I guess. 650c is not super useful unless you have an old Tri bike or something. Who knows without seeing the stuff and the condition it is in. The seller thought they were worth at least $100 so that is something. I wouldn't say 105 of that era is particularly desirable but 105 has always been a solid entry level road groupset, that will generally do its job decently and isn't low end.

Maybe, maybe not.
More importantly, in the present times, he actually now HAS parts, rather than "out of stock"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-18-21, 04:59 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I'd probably find an inexpensive frame somewhere and rebuild the bike.

About that 105 rear derailleur, years ago I found Dura Ace rear at a store called Supergo. 4th of July sale, $64 no tax so I bought 2 of them. One on the bike I needed as a replacement for an Ultegra that failed. and the other in my tool box. Still unused and read for action if ever needed. It's nice to have spare stuff laying around.
I already have a frame to do that. It's a GT GZ 500 frame. It's 7005 aluminum and my size. I've been taking the old paint off of it for a couple of days now. I plan on using that, though the short reach brakes I salvaged from the donor might be too short. I'll have to see when I source a fork for it, which might be a small challenge because it has a 1" steerer tube on it. The derailleurs, shifters, BB, and cranks should fit on it.
Old 06-18-21, 05:01 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by csport
He had a wipe out while riding it. I kind of feel bad for him and her. He could've switched the handlebars out for straight bars, and/or got her an extender so she could ride more upright.
Old 06-18-21, 05:05 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

I'd probably find an inexpensive frame somewhere and rebuild the bike.

About that 105 rear derailleur, years ago I found Dura Ace rear at a store called Supergo. 4th of July sale, $64 no tax so I bought 2 of them. One on the bike I needed as a replacement for an Ultegra that failed. and the other in my tool box. Still unused and read for action if ever needed. It's nice to have spare stuff laying around.
I've salvaged some of the old Xage rear derailleurs. I thought they were caput, because the springs were rusted on them. On a lark and I gave them a nice long bath in a bucket of Evap-rust (love that stuff,) cleaned them up with some LA's "Awesome," degreaser and now they are usable. I am a borderline hoarder these days, because you never know when you need a part or even a bolt for something.
Old 06-18-21, 06:12 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

We bought a bike back in 02 (?) Dude wanted $40 for the Steel Bianchi. I gave him 80 I had in my pocket as it was rideable. Coworker who inherited the bike from the person who owned their house before they bought it. It was really dirty but we fixed it up. Polished the hubs, new rims and spokes. DT shifter but the rear der was almost shot so we put a new 105 on it. The thing that was fully and functioning smoothly was the front der that was Exage (?).

She rode it for 5 years before going full carbon. Front der still working great even now 15 years later than she has had it. 2,000-3,000 per year back then. The bike is 1984 and still the Exage front der works great.

BTW, she knows nothing about the term Steel is Real but when we bought the full carbon bike, she had a hard time transitioning over saying the steel bike was a smoother ride than the full carbon Trek OCLV.

She's had other cyclists and even shop employees offer to buy it but she won't sell it.

That's awesome. I have three steel frames on me ATM. One is a vintage Shogun frame, a Trek 930 single track, and a diamond back Ascent (thought that frame might not be salvageable," it is I am going to blue and build it up. The 930 frame is going to be skeleton for a ghetto touring bike and the Shogun is a great candidate for a gravel bike. They may be a little heavier than an aluminum frame, however you can cold set them, weld on brackets, bosses, and mounts with relative ease.
Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 06-18-21, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
More importantly, in the present times, he actually now HAS parts, rather than "out of stock"
True.