Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Found Reynolds

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Found Reynolds

Old 06-17-21, 12:04 PM
bikerosity57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Found Reynolds

I saw a bicycle on my local Craigslist kind of like I’ve been looking for to refit as an upright touring bike. I wasn’t sure I’d buy it until I saw it live, and saw the 531 sticker on the frame. It’s a Raleigh Super Course 12. It has a few nicks and scratches but I think it’ll clean up nicely. It has Continental Super Sport tires on concave Weinmann rims. I paid 90 for it mostly because the tires rims and frame are unusual and in good shape.

Last edited by bikerosity57; 06-17-21 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-17-21, 08:08 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Looks like a sweet project!
Old 06-18-21, 04:24 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Raleigh SuperCourses are great bikes. I have 3 and they ride real well for a mid tier bike. Here is my 73 setup with a flip flop rear. Also my 78 setup with Shimano Arabesque.

Old 06-18-21, 05:57 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Those concave Weinmann rims are bomb proof. They were great for touring bikes in '78. The SunTrust bar cons are almost worth what you paid. Every now and then you get lucky. C&V market around me is super dried up, the prices are nuts, and nothing is selling. I did catch a 'holy grail' in my size bike this month on the cheap. Every now and then you get lucky!
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 06-18-21, 06:04 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I’d buy that bike at $90 all day long.
Old 06-20-21, 11:28 AM
bikerosity57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Well I took it completely apart down to just the frame. Fortunately all the bearings appear to be in very nice condition with no pitting. Even the wheels roll fairly smoothly. At least as smoothly as you’d expect from 40 plus year old French hubs. It has the nutted crank spindle which I don’t like, but the races are shiny and smooth. The crankset is barely used. But god, how filthy. It has that crazy type front deraileur that you pull the lever to shift down to the inner ring. If your cable breaks, you’re stuck with your higher gears. All in all I’m happy with it and intend to put a short alloy stem, alloy North road bars, and possibly my nos Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport deraileurs and shifters, and nice white mudguards. I’m really stoked to ride this bike. I always enjoyed a bike with Reynolds 531 butted tubing! (My third or forth). Pictures coming
Old 06-21-21, 12:22 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
Well I took it completely apart down to just the frame. Fortunately all the bearings appear to be in very nice condition with no pitting. Even the wheels roll fairly smoothly. At least as smoothly as you’d expect from 40 plus year old French hubs. It has the nutted crank spindle which I don’t like, but the races are shiny and smooth. The crankset is barely used. But god, how filthy. It has that crazy type front deraileur that you pull the lever to shift down to the inner ring. If your cable breaks, you’re stuck with your higher gears. All in all I’m happy with it and intend to put a short alloy stem, alloy North road bars, and possibly my nos Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport deraileurs and shifters, and nice white mudguards. I’m really stoked to ride this bike. I always enjoyed a bike with Reynolds 531 butted tubing! (My third or forth). Pictures coming
Looks like a solid pickup, a barely used bike at that. Why not clean up the existing Suntour drivetrain and save your NOS campy stuff for an Italian frame? Sounds like you know enough, just a gentle nudge to wait for the right moment. And the existing parts are more likely to sing in chorus than transplanted kit.

With new cables, housing, brake pads, and bar tape, it's a rider. With some wax/polish, grease, and lube you'd do even better.

Whichever direction you take it, enjoy!
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 06-21-21, 04:51 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
That is my favorite fd, for a double. The crispest shifting I've ever experienced. I cannot recall ever breaking a shifter cable out on the road. Give it a try before nixing it out of hand.
Nice pickup. Well worth $90, imo.
Old 06-21-21, 07:20 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I always liked those Suntour fd's as well.

Your SuperCourse is the later model, a bit racier than the ubiquitous early 70‘s one. I think the frame angles are steeper... or is that just my imagination? If so that might make for somewhat zippier handling than you expected, but i'll probably be fine.