Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Verve riders ....... lets hear how you ride

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Verve riders ....... lets hear how you ride

Old 11-08-20, 07:12 PM
mstig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the bike back to the dealer. One of their techs rode around the parking lot; of course it didn't make any noise even though it was noisy that morning. They decided to replace the freewheel based on my description of the problem. Should be fixed by the end of the week.
Old 11-09-20, 04:38 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
When I was riding the Verve with H5’s I averaged a flat approx every 500 miles.
Old 11-15-20, 06:06 PM
mstig

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The freewheel was replaced by the dealer. So nice to have a quiet bike again.
Old 01-12-21, 08:17 PM
barryflht

Bikes: Trek Verve 1 Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to do long road bike rides, 60 plus on consecutive weekend days and couple of 25+ rides on weekdays. Developed PAD, ended up with some stents and quit riding. I bought a Verve this past November for my 63rd birthday and really enjoy it. I worked so many hours the last 3 months, that I haven't had a lot of time to get my riding legs back, but I love the smooth ride and comfort of this bike..... Looking forward to spring.

Old 01-13-21, 07:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Trek's Factory Orange color looks pretty sharp! Those look like Kenda tires -- did yours originally come with the Bontrager H5s and you swapped out for the Kendas?
Old 02-27-21, 05:59 AM
Nate8727

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 1 Disc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Hey barryflht, that’s the same color I’m picking up today.

It’s like Christmas morning…
Old 02-27-21, 06:55 AM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mstig
I bought a 2021 Verve 1 in August. I typically ride about 10 miles a day on suburban streets at the Jersey Shore. Sometimes I ride on gravel bike paths or paved trails. I'm very happy with this bike having come from beach cruisers and a mountain bike. I don't know if anyone has this "problem" but though the bike rides great it's intermittently noisy. The rear end sometimes sounds like a train going down the track; then on the same ride is perfectly silent. The tech at the bike shop says that's normal but I have my doubts.
I run into that occasionally. Usually after I have had the rear wheel off. One or two clicks on the cable tension adjuster takes care of it (keep track in your mind which way you moved it and how many clicks, just in case you need to turn it the other way).

As others have said, change out the tires and it rides like a different bike. Right now I have Continental Terra Speed 40mm tires on it. Very pleased with these as my Verve 3 disk is the bike I ride when I don't know what the conditions will be like. I have had Grand Prix 5000 32mm on it, and picked up about 2 mph.

The Verve 3 is my comfort bike, rides are up to 25 miles.

Last edited by Hit Factor; 02-27-21 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-27-21, 09:29 AM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Factor
I run into that occasionally. Usually after I have had the rear wheel off. One or two clicks on the cable tension adjuster takes care of it (keep track in your mind which way you moved it and how many clicks, just in case you need to turn it the other way).

As others have said, change out the tires and it rides like a different bike. Right now I have Continental Terra Speed 40mm tires on it. Very pleased with these as my Verve 3 disk is the bike I ride when I don't know what the conditions will be like. I have had Grand Prix 5000 32mm on it, and picked up about 2 mph.

The Verve 3 is my comfort bike, rides are up to 25 miles.
I have had my new Verve back to the shop twice with shifting issues. The first time he worked on it a good while, and even installed a new cable. The second time it was not shifting right between gears 4 and 5. That was late into the fall and haven't had a chance to put many miles on it since then. So yes I would say the noise coming from the chain on the cassette is due to needing the cable adjusted. The Cannondale Adventure I have. I have had zero shifting issues with it, and it always shifts smoothly. Was going to sell it but glad I kept it. I bought the Verve thinking I was going to like it better, but I'm not so sure of that now. I think my cannondale is a bit faster. At least it feels like I do less work to go the same speed. That was will the exact same tires on it that I put on the Verve. Both bikes are also similar in weight. If there is one thing I might not like about the Cannondale is the mono shock it has.
Old 02-28-21, 01:45 PM
welcometojmart

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I just purchased 2021 Trek Verve 3's last weekend. Picking them up next weekend with accessories installed and tubeless tires set up.

I road trails on a Gary Fisher full suspension throughout my 30s but quit due to the chiropractic costs riding over logs and pot holes was causing me, lol. Now I'm 52. I really like the geometry of the Verve at my current age and we hope to ride a lot of rail trails and paved bike paths locally and in neighboring Wisconsin this year.

I'll let you know how we like them after our first ride.
Old 02-28-21, 06:54 PM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by welcometojmart
My wife and I just purchased 2021 Trek Verve 3's last weekend. Picking them up next weekend with accessories installed and tubeless tires set up.

I road trails on a Gary Fisher full suspension throughout my 30s but quit due to the chiropractic costs riding over logs and pot holes was causing me, lol. Now I'm 52. I really like the geometry of the Verve at my current age and we hope to ride a lot of rail trails and paved bike paths locally and in neighboring Wisconsin this year.

Welcome to the forum. I'm hoping to get in some time on rail trails myself but need to get back to riding first. I really like my Verve but due to crappy weather I've only taken it for two 10 mile ride this year. Looking forward to the spring and summer!
Old 03-01-21, 10:23 AM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by prime winner
Welcome to the forum. I'm hoping to get in some time on rail trails myself but need to get back to riding first. I really like my Verve but due to crappy weather I've only taken it for two 10 mile ride this year. Looking forward to the spring and summer!

Welcome to the forum. I hadn't ridden bike for a good many years, until I retired and started riding the many rail trails in Pa. I love riding rail trails and do nothing else but rail trails. Great scenery, most rail trails are fairly flat, and there is no traffic to contend with. I have been trying to ride many of the Pa rail trails, and some of them are really awesome, with great history along many of them. Have rode a couple trails in West Virginia, Ohio, and one in Virginia, which was the High Bridge trail. I'm going to bet you will like the Verves. And I think you will like them even more switching out the tires to something around 38's. As I said in an earlier post I noticed no difference in comfort going from the stock 45's to the Marathon 38's, but a noticeable difference in faster speed for the same amount of work. Most all the rail trails I have ridden on are well maintained, and don't see the need for wider tires for a more comfortable ride.
Old 03-04-21, 12:28 PM
welcometojmart

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alzerbster
Welcome to the forum. I hadn't ridden bike for a good many years, until I retired and started riding the many rail trails in Pa. I love riding rail trails and do nothing else but rail trails. Great scenery, most rail trails are fairly flat, and there is no traffic to contend with. I have been trying to ride many of the Pa rail trails, and some of them are really awesome, with great history along many of them. Have rode a couple trails in West Virginia, Ohio, and one in Virginia, which was the High Bridge trail. I'm going to bet you will like the Verves. And I think you will like them even more switching out the tires to something around 38's. As I said in an earlier post I noticed no difference in comfort going from the stock 45's to the Marathon 38's, but a noticeable difference in faster speed for the same amount of work. Most all the rail trails I have ridden on are well maintained, and don't see the need for wider tires for a more comfortable ride.
Thanks for the advice, it seems a lot of others switch out the tires too, maybe I decided to go tubeless too soon. They are calling for weather in the 50s this weekend so we should be able to put a few miles on them when we pick them up.
Old 03-04-21, 12:31 PM
welcometojmart

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Verve. We are picking up ours this weekend. It's been over 10 years since I road singletrack and am eager to get back in it ... but more comfortably this time. I dig the orange, it looks sharp!
Old 03-04-21, 04:14 PM
welcometojmart

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alzerbster
Just got a 2021 Verve 3 two weeks ago. I don't ride on roads, so all my riding is on rail trails, which I just love to do. 80% of the trails I ride here in Pa. are crushed limestone, with the other 20% being asphalt. I did buy fenders for this bike which help to keep stone dust off my chins, chain rings, and chain. Kind of disappointed my first 40 miles I put on it. It just felt slow compared to my Cannondale adventure, which is a similar bike. I really dislike the Bontrager H5 700x45 tires. They just feel so big and clunky riding on them. I didn't even try the saddle. I put my Brooks saddle on it right away. I also swapped the cheap pedals out. So I took the 700x38 Marathons off my Adventure, and put them on my Verve. What a big difference. I realize they put the bigger tires on this bike for a more comfortable ride, but riding on rail trails I noticed no difference between the 700x45's and the 700x 38's. What the 38's did was make the bike faster, and just feel lighter. So over all I do like the bike.
I'm curious which fenders you went with?
Old 03-04-21, 07:17 PM
Alzerbster

I'm curious which fenders you went with?
I got the Bontrager fenders. There was room for them even with the stock 700 x 45 tires. Plus I think they look good on the bike.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...hoCL8sQAvD_BwE
Likes For Alzerbster:
Old 03-05-21, 06:40 AM
welcometojmart

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info and link!
Old 03-09-21, 08:59 AM
Nate8727

Anyone with the Bontrager H5 700x45 tires, what pressure do you ride at?

I thought my tires were a little low when I got the bike initially, so I inflated them to about 55 psi, and then 60 psi after that to hit the minimum recommended. The ride felt fairly rough the last time.

I never realized that bike tires are not like car tires in you just set it, but you have to factor in weight of the rider and equipment.

I weigh about 170 lbs.
Old 03-09-21, 09:14 AM
Alzerbster

When I had them on my bike I pressured them to 60 to 65psi. I weigh 210, but much of it has to do with the surface you ride also. I was riding rail trails which are mostly a fairly smooth surface.
Old 03-09-21, 09:39 AM
hokiefyd 

I'm 235 pounds and I'd run a 45mm tire at about 30-40 psi in the front and 40-50 psi in the rear...and then adjust from there. My priority is comfort and traction on rough/textured surfaces (gravel, etc.).
Old 03-09-21, 09:52 AM
Nate8727

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm 235 pounds and I'd run a 45mm tire at about 30-40 psi in the front and 40-50 psi in the rear...and then adjust from there. My priority is comfort and traction on rough/textured surfaces (gravel, etc.).
Ah good to know. I'll try 40 front and back and go from there. I tend to go on gravel usually also besides pavement, so I like comfort as well.

Will someone start an Official Trek Verve thread or is this the unofficial one? I figured since I was so new it wasn't my place.
Old 03-09-21, 02:44 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Nate8727
Will someone start an Official Trek Verve thread or is this the unofficial one? I figured since I was so new it wasn't my place.
I think all the "official" threads were started by regular Joes like you and me. If you search and can't find one, feel free to start one. There are a lot of satisfied Verve owners here who, I'm sure, will be glad to participate in a bit of story telling and picture sharing.
Old 03-09-21, 06:28 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Good idea on the Official thread.

I think you can click the report post button and ask the moderator to rename this thread.
Old 03-09-21, 09:21 PM
Nate8727

Anyone else with a new Verve find they have Kenda 700x45 tires and not the Bontrager H5?

I just noticed after a ride today.

Supply issues?
Old 03-11-21, 08:14 AM
Nate8727

Anyone else with a new Verve find they have Kenda 700x45 tires and not the Bontrager H5?

I just noticed after a ride today.

Supply issues?
I called Trek to ask about the tires.

It was intentional due to supply issues like I figured they said. They do that with other parts if it happens also so Bikes have faster availability.

The Kenda's ride pretty nice so no complaints here.
Likes For Nate8727:
Old 03-11-21, 08:53 AM
hokiefyd 

The Kenda's ride pretty nice so no complaints here.
What model Kendas are they?

The Bontrager H5s are usually noted to be pretty dull feeling. They're heavy, not particularly supple, and have a very thick puncture protection layer (though probably still not as effective as what you'd find in a tire like a Schwalbe Marathon). In other words, it rides like a low cost tire with a thick casing. The Kendas aren't Rene Herse supple, but they've got to be better than the stock H5s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.