Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bitex MTR rear hub vs Shimano XT

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bitex MTR rear hub vs Shimano XT

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 11:22 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Well, one of the benefits I see of this hub over the XT hubs:

I can convert the new Bitex front and rear hubs from quick release to up to 12x142 thru axle should I decide to get a different bike or frame in the future.

The XT hubs would have been stuck at quick release for me should I have gotten those.
Old 05-07-21, 12:50 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Agree with the before. I'll also state that being retired does give me more than ample time to keep my bikes maintained. If I were younger and juggling work and family, I'd be jumping on the cartridge side on things; at least for mountain bikes.

John
Well I'm younger (49) but have been an empty nester for 10 years. Just juggling work and my recreational activities with my girl...biking, fly fishing, snow shoe, hunting, photography and a few other things.
Old 05-07-21, 02:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Well, one of the benefits I see of this hub over the XT hubs:

I can convert the new Bitex front and rear hubs from quick release to up to 12x142 thru axle should I decide to get a different bike or frame in the future.

The XT hubs would have been stuck at quick release for me should I have gotten those.

That is a very solid advantage !

(LOL - Except that most of the current stuff is boost 12x148 spacing --- sheesh it never ends ) - a lot of the gravel bikes are using 12x142 though and 29'er MTB wheels are perfect for those also
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-07-21, 02:19 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by DMC707
That is a very solid advantage !

(LOL - Except that most of the current stuff is boost 12x148 spacing --- sheesh it never ends ) - a lot of the gravel bikes are using 12x142 though and 29'er MTB wheels are perfect for those also
I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the new standards that change so often anymore! I'm just going to use what I am getting and have fun!
Old 05-08-21, 02:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the new standards that change so often anymore!
Well, 135QR had a good run. About 30 years? But if you look before and around that there are also 130, 126, 124, 120, 110, and 100 going on for various kinds of drivetrains. And that's not counting tandems.

They don't seem to be standards in the same sense as ASME or NAS.

Boost and 1x had a lot of mutual benefits. For one thing they make chain clearance for 3in tires on any kind of bike. Most of the cranks use the same arms with different ring dish so there's no Q factor increase. But they also made suspension a lot more efficient-pedaling because it does not have to tolerate three different chain ring sizes, so the pivot can line up with the chain and kill the anti-squat. Also eliminating the inner ring and putting the middle out made suspension pivots a lot wider.

Super Boost (157TA, borrowed from downhill bikes) is not getting nearly as much adoption.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-10-21, 08:51 AM
prj71

Hopefully the axles are set for a while now. I'm seeing 12 x 100 / 12 x 142 being common on road/gravel bikes now and 15 x 110 / 12 x 148 on mountain bikes now. Not sure Superboost will take hold.

Now if only they could standardize the bottom brackets...
Old 05-10-21, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Hopefully the axles are set for a while now. I'm seeing 12 x 100 / 12 x 142 being common on road/gravel bikes now and 15 x 110 / 12 x 148 on mountain bikes now. Not sure Superboost will take hold.

Now if only they could standardize the bottom brackets...
They did, there are just 15+ standards

Also don't forget road boost which is becoming slightly popular.
Old 05-11-21, 07:03 AM
prj71

Oh goodness. Haven't heard about road boost yet.

One trend I'm starting to see is bike manufacturers go back to threaded bottom bracket after they finally realized just how bad press fit sucks.
Old 05-11-21, 08:02 AM
travbikeman

OH, I so agree with that statement on press fit bottom brackets! Why these are in aluminum frames I have no idea. Very soon I will be getting a Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket to replace my son's Scale press fit. That thing creaks so badly.

In regards to previous topic, I checked the wheels I currently have to all 4 of our bikes.....sheesh, time to repack bearings on all of the Shimano and Formula hubs.

**Actually going to be a good learning experience for my teenage son. I will be showing him how to repack the bearings.

Last edited by travbikeman; 05-11-21 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 05:44 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I have the Bitex rear hub. It's a relatively light, relatively inexpensive, and high engagement hub.

Don't sweat the bearings. They're going to last a long time. The big deal is that they are 3.5 degrees to get to engagement. Compare that to 12-18 for Shimano (if memory serves).

In practical terms, this means that in lower gears, especially coasting or backpedaling, it'll be a lot quicker to get back to power. This is what all the high end hub makers are marketing. The Bitex will get you awfully close at a good price.

Edit to add, check out configuration on the Bikehubstore website. I've got their Bitex hubs and Kinlin 30mm rims and am very happy. I built them myself but they're able to do it and send you a complete wheel.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-12-21, 07:53 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have the Bitex rear hub. It's a relatively light, relatively inexpensive, and high engagement hub.

Don't sweat the bearings. They're going to last a long time. The big deal is that they are 3.5 degrees to get to engagement. Compare that to 12-18 for Shimano (if memory serves).

In practical terms, this means that in lower gears, especially coasting or backpedaling, it'll be a lot quicker to get back to power. This is what all the high end hub makers are marketing. The Bitex will get you awfully close at a good price.

Edit to add, check out configuration on the Bikehubstore website. I've got their Bitex hubs and Kinlin 30mm rims and am very happy. I built them myself but they're able to do it and send you a complete wheel.

Thanks! It appears that ProWheelbuilder has already started working on my new wheels. I'm really looking forward to testing the Bitex hubs!
Old 05-12-21, 08:21 AM
prj71

You won't be disappointed. Light years ahead of the cup and cone system.
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-12-21, 11:29 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
What rims are you getting?
Old 05-12-21, 12:09 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by rosefarts
What rims are you getting?
WTB KOM TOUGH TCS I 30 29IN

Post number 9 above shows what I'm having built for the rear rim. Front is same, just the front Bitex hub of course.
Old 06-12-21, 05:46 PM
travbikeman

Received the new wheels in today. Thanks everyone for the advise! Looking forward to testing these out soon!

Old 06-12-21, 09:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Received the new wheels in today. Thanks everyone for the advise! Looking forward to testing these out soon!

nice— thats a delightful looking frameset: What is it?
Old 06-19-21, 04:57 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by DMC707
nice— thats a delightful looking frameset: What is it?
Sorry for late response! I think your asking what bike frame this is, not the rims? If so, it's a Scott Aspect 950. I wasn't able to get a few bikes that I wanted due to back orders, example the Trek Roscoe 7. Found this Scott Bike and tested it, it fit me really well. So my teenage son and I took this as a winter/covid project bike for us to learn more mechanics on a bike. I wasn't looking for a racing styled bike, just wanted to go out for fun to various trails and to use for bikepacking. Wasn't interested in jumping or other stunts but just wanted to be fun .... comfortably. We replaced and learned alot on fixing bikes by upgrading this bike. Plus it was just fun to work with my son on a project were we both enjoyed the hobby. I would tell you the list of what we changed, but think it would be simpler to tell you what we did not. Only original parts on this bike are the frame, headset bearings, brakes and rear rotor. Although thinking of upgrading the rear rotor to a larger size. Also, still unsure about that ixf crankset I put on, might be upgrading that this fall if I find others that own these are breaking them.

I will say this, after riding it several times the past few days, I'm very happy with it.