Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

new rider with lack of knowledge and need some advice(?)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

new rider with lack of knowledge and need some advice(?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 01:55 AM
RAYZIE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rolla
If by "bike slack" you mean the chain is slack, you should properly tension it. I find a single drive-side chain tensioner is very useful for setting and maintaining chain tension.

It more likely means your wheel is out of true, and the spokes need tensioning.
maybe it was just me having to center the chain after all, i guess practice makes perfect. had to readjust it and doesn't look as bad anymore heh..
Old 05-28-21, 03:00 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by RAYZIE
hehe so after riding it for 2 weeks, i've ran into an 2nd worst enemy... "sand"

few hours go by and i noticed that my bike started "scrunching" again... driving me crazy i didn't even realize to think that sand could've been the culprit, now i sorta see the importance of bike maintenance heh...
I live in the Sandhills, NC. Lots of sand on the roads. I lube my chain about every 150 miles or less. I automatically do it about every four rides now. I can tell when the chain needs to be lubed on a singlespeed easier than I can a geared bike. The best lube I've had is White Lightning Epic Ride with the green cap I found at Walmart.

As far as chain slack I've got to where I can tell if it needs tightened by the sound. If it's too loose I can hear it rattle a little when I'm riding on rough chipseal sections of roads. I tighten it to the point where the rattle just stops but not so tight it makes a lot of noise on the ring. One time it was at the rattling point and I bunny hopped over a speed bump and the chain flew off the ring. I'm probably going to spend the money for a Zen ring because I'd like it to be super quiet with no tight spots.

Last edited by Lazyass; 05-28-21 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Poor spelling because I'm old
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-28-21, 03:09 AM
RAYZIE

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I live in the Sandhills, NC. Lots of sand on the roads. I lube my chain about every 150 miles or less. I automatically do it about every four rides now. I can tell when the chain needs to be lubed on a singlespeed easier than I can a geared bike. The best lube I've had is White Lightning Epic Ride with the green cap I found at Walmart.

As far as chain slack I've got to where I can tell if it needs tightened by the sound. If it's too loose I can hear it rattle a little when I'm riding on rough chipseal sections of roads. I tighten it to the point where the rattle just stops but not so tight it makes a lot of noise on the ring. One time it was at the rattling point and I bunny hopped over a speed bump and the chain flew off the ring. I'm probably going to spend the money for a Zen ring because I'd like it to be super quiet with no tight spots.
when in doubt, lube it out hehe. but interesting to know your process. i've pushed my new chain pretty hard with the standard/factory lube and just finished cleaning/lubing (muc-off dry since it's mainly dry over here) about 3/4ish hours ago. took me about 45 minutes just to straighten my wheel, it's safe to say i like to overthink the smallest things lol.

on a side note, sand got into my wheel and now not sure how to get it out... i for sure know it ain't the bearing because tilting the rear wheel ever so slightly you hear the "sand/rocks" just sliding down haha

unfortunately today is a rain day but can't wait to ride tomorrow.

ah the zen's... what ratio you rockin? i'm in love with both c/w's and would be hard to choose between the two hehe - just saw the red; all i can do is

Last edited by RAYZIE; 05-28-21 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-28-21, 03:14 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by RAYZIE
when in doubt, lube it out hehe. but interesting to know your process. i've pushed my new chain pretty hard with the standard lube and just finished cleaning/lubing about 3/4ish hours ago. unfortunately today is a rain day but can't wait to ride tomorrow.

and ugh the zen's... what ratio you rockin? i'm in love with both c/w's and would be hard to choose between the two hehe
I run a 46/17. I started out on a 48 and it was actually good but with a 46 I can keep a more comfortable rpm. My normal cruising speed is around 18-19 mph.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-29-21, 11:04 AM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Good tires are a must in my opinion.
Likes For Philasteve:
Old 05-29-21, 11:09 AM
RAYZIE

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i yet have to experience on replacing my tires... the first week i got my bike i overthought it alot but eventually decided to replace it when it's actually worn/worn, slight cracks here and there but still no flats based on what i've been riding on *knock on wood*

"gatorskins" ftw Lol.