Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tire Liners for 16” Tires

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 11:01 PM
Shih Fa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I really like Mr Tuffy Tire Liners, but they do not come in a 16” tire size. And I have a spare 26” size, and I got the thought that maybe one tire liner can fit 2 16” tires if I cut it in half. When I lined the tire without cutting the liner, it took up a little bit over half the liner, so if I cut it exactly in half, the liner would be few inches short on both tires. This is my question:

1) Could an unfinished edge on a cut tire liner slice a tube if the tires max out at 40 psi.
1a) If yes, it is a good idea to apply duct tape on the edge of the tire to smooth out the gap?

Thank you!
Old 05-20-21, 12:51 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Shih Fa
So I really like Mr Tuffy Tire Liners, but they do not come in a 16” tire size. And I have a spare 26” size, and I got the thought that maybe one tire liner can fit 2 16” tires if I cut it in half. When I lined the tire without cutting the liner, it took up a little bit over half the liner, so if I cut it exactly in half, the liner would be few inches short on both tires. This is my question:

1) Could an unfinished edge on a cut tire liner slice a tube if the tires max out at 40 psi.
1a) If yes, it is a good idea to apply duct tape on the edge of the tire to smooth out the gap?

Thank you!
You could be on the cutting edge of inner tube technology.

Tires are flexible things, and there is always a chance that you may lose a tube, depending on the stiffness of your tire and how and where you ride it. There are just too many variables here.

Duct tape should work in the short term at least, and when it gets old the edges tend to disintegrate and so your tube may not even notice it.