Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a 54cm frame or Bike at a reasonable price

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 01:19 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts

As the title of the posts says, I'm looking for a 54ish sized track bike or frame for racing, I do best with a 54cm top tube. I'm not looking for anything impressive, just something a lot nicer than my Raleigh Rush Hour, I've got the newest, cheap version that isn't even 4130 quality and the thing is heavy and slow. Yes, I'm aware there's a pandemic making things scarce. I'd like to keep the frame to 500 or so or a bike to 1000. Anyone been seeing ads for something along these lines. Unfortunately the two frames I was interested in on ebay have 52 and 56cm available but out of 54.
Hoping to have something in time for the Masters and Rookies race at TTown on the 5th.
Old 05-23-21, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I am baffled you want a nicer bike for racing but then kind of say yeah I want to go cheap. Which is it? Me personally I would spend the money on something nice but of course bikes are hard to get. I would reach out to Don Walker and have him build you up a frame. He makes some really nice track stuff as well as other stuff and is well qualified for the task. Yes more expensive but also a bike for you and your size and way cooler than whatever step up from a Rush Hour or similar bike. Plus you are likely to get it faster than something overseas.

Unfortunately his website is down (I think he is creating a new brand) but he is still building so you can face book him should you desire:
.fac ebook.com /DonWalkerCycles/ (you can piece it all back together but I don't like supporting face book so I screwed up their link)

Or here is his info:
601 Oak St. (526.09 mi)
Eatonton, GA, GA 31024

(502) 424-2225
Old 05-23-21, 09:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am baffled you want a nicer bike for racing but then kind of say yeah I want to go cheap. Which is it? Me personally I would spend the money on something nice but of course bikes are hard to get. I would reach out to Don Walker and have him build you up a frame. He makes some really nice track stuff as well as other stuff and is well qualified for the task. Yes more expensive but also a bike for you and your size and way cooler than whatever step up from a Rush Hour or similar bike. Plus you are likely to get it faster than something overseas.

Unfortunately his website is down (I think he is creating a new brand) but he is still building so you can face book him should you desire:
.fac ebook.com /DonWalkerCycles/ (you can piece it all back together but I don't like supporting face book so I screwed up their link)

Or here is his info:
601 Oak St. (526.09 mi)
Eatonton, GA, GA 31024

(502) 424-2225
I've given up on being fast and have never been a track person, no real desire to be one either. But I'm taking my daughter to races, and as soon as he's a little older my middle kid, and sitting around waiting for them is boring. My raleigh isn't a great fit, it feels heavy, and is clunky; so I want something better. I was checking out the Dolan Pre Cursa and the Moda Forte; which are 500ish priced frames that when bought as bikes are about 1000. They'd be significantly lighter then the raleigh and will give me a sporting chance at my ability level; last year I did the flying 200m in 16.2 sec, so respectable but not really competitive, and would just be more fun. Worse case will be that I buy an Affinity Kissena frame which has some local popularity being a local company, but is pushing outside my budget preference and a little more then I need.
Old 05-24-21, 02:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Maybe this. A 54 is in stock.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...13954033778749