Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Camera for shooting and riding, and stopping and shooting

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Camera for shooting and riding, and stopping and shooting

Old 06-15-21, 09:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Reminds me of a thread that devolved into an argument over the safety or taking photos while actually riding.
"hold my beer" I'm remembering a fall, on an MTB, riding 1 handed while taking a vid. hit a mudhole which stopped the front wheel dead in it's tracks & over I went. got a cpl nice frames of my helmet in the bushes
Old 06-15-21, 09:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
There is such a glut of cliche bike photography bombarding us on every social media site it has become a mundane and banal pursuit to which even Andy Warhol has grown fatigued.
I think he missed a lot since '87
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-15-21, 09:07 AM
rumrunn6

It tends to take from the riding. The camera needs constant safety procedures and becomes the focal point (pun intended) of the enterprise
+1 I find it liberating to use a sportcam, w/ various mounts or in a pocket. I've adjusted down my photo quality expectations in exchange for immediacy, portability & weather resistance
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-15-21, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,489 Times in 7,316 Posts
Taking photos doesn't "take from [sic] the riding" when I am out on tour. In fact, it often adds to the fun. Loved going out looking for, finding and shooting this little bugger.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-21, 09:10 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mschwett
No, I ride to ride. But I love to shoot, and document beautiful places... as Phil_gretz notes, I may find the two are a little suboptimal when combined, but we'll see!
& please share! we love seeing riding photos, or photos during rides, etc!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-15-21, 09:16 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
! Warning ! Unpopular Opinion Ahead

There is such a glut of cliche bike photography bombarding us on every social media site it has become a mundane and banal pursuit to which even Andy Warhol has grown fatigued.
i'm sure that's true. and it's a little hard for me to share riding photos when they're so much less carefully composed, planned, shot than my "real" photography. but there's something satisfying about sharing beautiful moments from a ride, i'm just hoping increasing the quality a bit doesn't ruin the ride.

here are two riding cliches from the weekend, crappy iphone quality

Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-15-21, 09:24 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw

when I carry a full size slr, film or digital, w/ a mirror or w/o, skiiing, snowshoeing, hiking or biking I use a traditional slr holster type bag with a single strap slung over a shoulder. while riding a bike it easily swings around to my back & sits there just above my hips. while riding I can swing it around & if it's not fully zipped grab the camera 1-handed & take a snap. obviously stopping is easier & safer

I don't use such a camera while biking anymore cuz I have small sportcams. I've tried small flat digital cameras but they are usually disappointing due to having to wait while they turn on & their shutter lag. modern digital cameras, w/ manual controls, buried in menus, are frustrating. I still love physical exterior controls for aperture, shutter speed & manual/auto focus

if one has a camera & a bag, use what you have. but I fully support camera addiction & spending to excess, if you have the discretionary cash ;-)
that position sounds ideal to me, low on the back while riding, but i'd like to reach around and grab to shoot, thus the strap. i'd also like the camera to be permanently attached to the strap, so if i do have to grab the bars in a hurry with my second hand, it doesn't fall on the ground like my iPhone would in the current "setup."

my rate of camera gear acquisition has really slowed since the pandemic, the apex of digital camera innovation, taking up cycling, and instituting a one-in one-out policy for lenses. got rid of a lot of big exotics and other old stuff i didn't use often. down to one lens drawer and two accessory drawers lol.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-15-21, 09:24 AM
mschwett 

Taking photos doesn't "take from [sic] the riding" when I am out on tour. In fact, it often adds to the fun. Loved going out looking for, finding and shooting this little bugger.

little!!! i'd be scared ****less.
Old 06-15-21, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

little!!! i'd be scared ****less.
I encountered a much larger one at much, much closer of a distance two years before. Black bears are, for the most part, harmless and try to avoid human conflict. I actually yelled “Yessss!” when I saw him. That caused him to stop and check me out, which gave me time to get some photos. There are also grizzlies in that part of NW Montana. Wasn’t lucky enough to see one.

That same morning the campground host saw a lion up a different road. Jumped down from some rocks and ran in front of his truck for a while. Said it was his third sighting of the year, and it was still June.
Old 06-15-21, 10:40 AM
mschwett 

I encountered a much larger one at much, much closer of a distance two years before. Black bears are, for the most part, harmless and try to avoid human conflict. I actually yelled “Yessss!” when I saw him. That caused him to stop and check me out, which gave me time to get some photos. There are also grizzlies in that part of NW Montana. Wasn’t lucky enough to see one.

That same morning the campground host saw a lion up a different road. Jumped down from some rocks and ran in front of his truck for a while. Said it was his third sighting of the year, and it was still June.
intellectually i know that black bears are avoidant. but the handful of pixels of that guy's face says to me "DINNER" !!
Old 06-15-21, 11:20 AM
indyfabz

"hold my beer" I'm remembering a fall, on an MTB, riding 1 handed while taking a vid. hit a mudhole which stopped the front wheel dead in it's tracks & over I went. got a cpl nice frames of my helmet in the bushes
Obviously not the smartest thing under all conditions, but a couple of posters were arguing that doing so is always extremely dangerous. I have lots of photos of my ex quite similar to the one terrymorse posted that were taken while riding. Some of them were taken while riding a fully-loaded bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-21, 11:23 AM
rumrunn6

Obviously not the smartest thing under all conditions, but a couple of posters were arguing that doing so is always extremely dangerous. I have lots of photos of my ex quite similar to the one terrymorse posted that were taken while riding. Some of them were taken while riding a fully-loaded bike.
certainly not gonna do it at 30mph down a twisting hill

(that's not fast, on a protected path, using a stick)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-15-21 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-15-21, 11:30 AM
rumrunn6

that position sounds ideal to me, low on the back while riding, but i'd like to reach around and grab to shoot, thus the strap. i'd also like the camera to be permanently attached to the strap, so if i do have to grab the bars in a hurry with my second hand, it doesn't fall on the ground like my iPhone would in the current "setup."my rate of camera gear acquisition has really slowed since the pandemic, the apex of digital camera innovation, taking up cycling, and instituting a one-in one-out policy for lenses. got rid of a lot of big exotics and other old stuff i didn't use often. down to one lens drawer and two accessory drawers lol.

*sigh* drooling; well organized! re: straps, yeah handling a cam w/o a secondary lanyard or something can be risky. many years ago, for hiking, I fashioned a lens case to a double shoulder strap so it would ride under an armpit. if I remember correctly, it was easy to figure out & definitely solved the problem of carrying an extra lens & allowing me to make the change while still moving (on foot). I think my Sis has a pic I shud ask her for it
Old 06-15-21, 11:42 AM
rumrunn6

new to cycling, but photographer / enthusiast for decades
btw have you seen the Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets subforum? it's pretty fun
Old 06-15-21, 12:09 PM
mschwett 

*sigh* drooling; well organized! re: straps, yeah handling a cam w/o a secondary lanyard or something can be risky. many years ago, for hiking, I fashioned a lens case to a double shoulder strap so it would ride under an armpit. if I remember correctly, it was easy to figure out & definitely solved the problem of carrying an extra lens & allowing me to make the change while still moving (on foot). I think my Sis has a pic I shud ask her for it
nice. i don't think i'll try and change lenses while riding, but i do it while walking/hiking/climbing all the time. i swing my shoulder bag out front to catch any dropped caps. that's one reason i don't like backpacks except for long haul carryage.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-15-21, 02:28 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Ok. I'm a photographer too. I settled on carrying a Canon Powershot G9x since it's small, durable, fits in a jersey pocket, also does video and is better quality than any camera phone. Plus I found a mint used one locally for $200. It's not competing with any of my DSLRs but it does a pretty good job. I gave up trying to combine my real photography with biking years ago as I didn't want to risk damaging my gear.

That said.... I do have a stout dutch bike on order with a full complement of racks and huge weight carrying capacity. With it I may go back to riding the bike more to get to shooting locations.

That is what I have carried, the Canon G9X, and I too also bought it as a mint used version that the person who stopped using it when they bought their new iPhone. An added benefit was a form-fitted old school leather case that screws into the tripod mount, but the thumb screw also has a threaded hole for mounting a monopod, or tripod without removing the case. Its down side for me is no optical viewfinder, like our old Olympus Stylus Tough and my far older film Olympus XA rangefinder clamshell that was a travelers dream come true. I find the lack of a viewfinder slows me and induces the same types of blur a phone often does.

As a result, it is my event/travel camera, where small, and pocketable is a requirement, or I use my iPhone biking. For more serious needs, I have a Canon 5D-III
Old 06-15-21, 02:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts

here are two riding cliches from the weekend, crappy iphone quality

Guessing: Ridgecrest Blvd, near Mt Tamalpais?

My crappy iphone photo on the bike from Sunday: Stage Rd. near Pescadero.

Old 06-15-21, 03:33 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Guessing: Ridgecrest Blvd, near Mt Tamalpais?

My crappy iphone photo on the bike from Sunday: Stage Rd. near Pescadero.

yep. bo-fax to ridgecrest, from SF proper. love that ride. 57 mi, around 4,000 feet.

stage looks great, i haven’t ridden down the peninsula, but i remember driving those roads with the top down in the 90s!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-15-21, 04:35 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
stage looks great, i haven’t ridden down the peninsula, but i remember driving those roads with the top down in the 90s!
Lots of small, quiet, and picturesque roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains, from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz (and beyond). It's worth taking a drive from SF to do some riding there.

Old 06-15-21, 05:30 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Lots of small, quiet, and picturesque roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains, from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz (and beyond). It's worth taking a drive from SF to do some riding there.
i've not yet put my bike in or on my car... that's a big step into a black hole of much more time consuming rides!! i've been scoping out a couple almost-loops down there that are almost in reach at 80-90mi, maybe with a ride back on caltrain or bart if i bonk. i grew up in cupertino and menlo park, but i've hardly ridden down there at at all.

some pretty good climbs, too, but about the same scale as the similar orientations up in marin.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-15-21, 07:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I've taken thousands of photos while riding a bike, both on my own and in groups. Never had an issue, and got some great shots.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-15-21, 08:55 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The Canon G9X Mk II that I carry replaced a Canon PowerShot ELPH 100HS. The newer Canon is a bit larger and heavier but does a much better job.

Old 06-15-21, 09:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I have not used our DSLRs in the last year. We have switched almost entirely over to Sony a6000 series cameras. Since we started using the Sony cameras I have taken 60,000 pictures and my wife has about the same number. Our cycling archive has about 80,000 photos.

During the time we have used these cameras they were carried in our Ortlieb bar bags for 10,000+ miles of touring in 11 countries. Out of the four Sony cameras we have, only one was damaged from a drop onto a concrete road.

The point of all this BS is the Sony will do everything our Nikon DSLRS (they are older models) will do and even do some things better. As one poster said, they do use batteries pretty fast, but we each carry extra batteries, which cover most situations.

Access to the camera is as fast as carrying it on a strap, and affords more protection, especially in wet weather.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-17-21 at 10:27 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 06-17-21, 01:22 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Most times people say iPhone or Android photos are not clear it is NOT the smartphone, especially if a newer model, but how they hold it when actually taking a photo. I was very impressed with my iPhone images, especially close images. The flat phone and limited grip area causes shaking compared to a DSLR or hi-megapixel cameras using much larger image sensors or digital, versus true optical zooms capabilities.

For me the iPhone has relegated the DSLR to specialty or high precision work that will be enlarged for printing..
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 06-17-21, 01:42 PM
mschwett 

the latest phones are certainly very impressive considering their size. but tiny sensors, tiny fixed lenses, awkward handholding, etc, add up to less than satisfying images for me if i’m taking photos for pleasure.

for now i decided to avoid any new cameras and try the z7 on a blackrapid strap and picked up two small/light/cheap lenses. one is a crop sensor lens, so if i like that i may switch to a z50 when riding. if the overall package is just too bulky, i’m guessing m4/3 or another interchangeable mirrorless solution won’t be enough smaller to matter and i’ll give a 1” compact like the canon g9x a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.