Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Couple Jagwire Q's

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Couple Jagwire Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 10:05 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Couple Jagwire Q's

I'm going to be building on a new frame soon and want to have some shifter cables and brake hose on hand. M8000 drivetrain and M6000 brakes. Here in Canada the Shimano stuff is pretty much not available or an obscene price. I need to get a part internationally anyway but apparently companies can't ship Shimano stuff here, so I'm looking at Jagwire.

Is the pro shifter kit on par with SP41? Seems to be with what I've read. Anything I should know?

Jagwire Pro Hydraulic Brake Hose, I can't find much at all about this stuff. They say they need "universal adapters" to use it but I was able to find a thread where a guy used the Shimano pins. He said it was a bit of work to get it in but it went. No mention if it was a BH90 or 59 pin but I have both. O.D. Is listed as 5mm so the olives would work. Concern here is thinner walled hose makes the brakes feel a little spongier, not something I'm interested in. Even Jagwire doesn't list the I.D. on their site. Anyone know?
Old 06-14-21, 10:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I use Pro or Elite link housing on my bikes (occasionally have used the sport stuff if I need cheaper or need a certain color that I can't find in the higher end stuff) , wouldn't bother with Shimano or anything coated. Slick stainless steel ideally polished is my jam for cables and the Elite Link is nice because it is really light provides better bends, looks good and those beads last pretty much forever and the inner liner is relatively cheap so compared to quality housing. The problem with coated cables is that coating can wear off and gum of the lines a bit polished stainless cables will not.

I am also currently using the Pro Hydro on my MTB (because I wanted red not because of issues with Shimano housing). It seems to be doing the job just fine. You do need adaptors for it (barbs and olives and such) but Jagwire sells it for all the different brakes: https://jagwire.com/products/hydraul...t-adaptor-kits. You would need all the adaptors for any brake though and any hydro lines so it is not a Jagwire thing it is a putting brakes together thing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-15-21, 07:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Jagwire is good stuff. No experience with their hydraulic hoses but I've used Jagwire shift and mechanical brake housing and inner wires for years with very satisfactory results. Their standard "Sport" housing works fine with caliper brakes but I used their "incompressible" Pro housing for mechanical disc brakes as it gives a firmer lever feel.

I agree to only use die drawn stainless steel inner wires and avoid the coated stuff. I didn't have the coating peel off and jam the housing but I had them slip at the brake and derailleur clamp bolts no matter how tight the bolts were. I had to scrape off the coating at the clamps to get them to hold their adjustments.
Likes For HillRider: