Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Derailleur help

Old 06-15-21, 02:39 PM
TinaTwoWheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Derailleur help

I'm totally stuck, please help. I've been trying to get this bike running smoothly. It's nothing special a GT Pantera, the derailleur is a Shimano Altus, 9-speed. I can get it indexed nicely and shifting smooth when I ride it dowhill-not applying pressure to the pedals. But the tiniest bit of resistance causes it to shift hard, skip and clunk in gears 6-9. The lower gears shift fine in any condition. I replaced the hanger, put a brand new cable in and I have indexed it. Short of replacing the derailleur entirely I'm at a loss. Any advice???
Old 06-15-21, 02:51 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Did you align the new hanger? Is any part of the drivetrain new and the rest old? Sounds like a new chain on an old cassette OR the hanger needs aligning. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's straight, the frame can be slightly less than perfect. You have to align every hanger to the frame it's on.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-15-21, 06:09 PM
TinaTwoWheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thw drivetrain is all the original parts so must be the derailleur hanger. I will try to align it and see where that gets me
Old 06-15-21, 06:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Did you align the new hanger? Is any part of the drivetrain new and the rest old? Sounds like a new chain on an old cassette OR the hanger needs aligning. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's straight, the frame can be slightly less than perfect. You have to align every hanger to the frame it's on.
...this is reasonable advice. The cogs that wear most rapidly are the smaller ones. Start with the cheapest solution first (checking alignment), then proceed upward in investment by replacing the cassette cluster and the chain. I guess you might have some mechanical problem with the rear derailleur, but that's rare as opposed to simple wear and tear or misalignment as the cause of something like you describe.
Old 06-15-21, 06:28 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by TinaTwoWheels
Thw drivetrain is all the original parts so must be the derailleur hanger.

...they wear out. As they wear, the shifting sufffers.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-16-21, 02:46 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
This. In 2012 I bought a brand new bike with Ultegra 6700 that had the same problem as the OP. It took me 1000 miles before I realized the hanger was bent inward a tiny amount, maybe a couple of millimeters. Straightened it with a crescent wrench and it was perfect.
Old 06-16-21, 06:06 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Before you start replacing parts, check your cable attachment at the derailleur. Clamping the cable on the wrong side of the anchor bolt can screw up the indexing slightly, which will then result in the behaviour you describe.
Old 06-16-21, 07:33 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
I'm really curious why the hanger was replaced. That's not a part that typically 'wears' and is usually replaced due to some kind of incident (crash, etc). Seems like something's not aligned.
Old 06-17-21, 01:38 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Could also be that the cassette and chain are worn out.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 06-17-21, 09:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Not applying pressure while shifting is wrong too, IMO. To shift properly you need a certain amount of pressure. Not too much, not too little. The cautions we've made for ages about not pedaling hard when shifting seem to have gotten rewritten over the many years to "be delicate with pedaling when you shift". Which isn't correct. You can actually pedal fairly normal if you are not grinding out a climb at 30 rpm trying to get out of cogs you should have shifted out of well before that time.

However, for the issue the OP has, I'd investigate hanger alignment or check that the DR isn't bent itself. This is the existing DR wasn't it?

What happened to make you replace the hanger?.
Old 06-17-21, 10:11 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Lots of could be solutions. I know it's hard to get into shops, but paying for a derailleur adjustment will get a trained eye on your problem.
Old 08-11-21, 04:28 PM
TinaTwoWheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Follow-up

Took me sometime to work on it but I did finally get this bike running smoothly. Adjusted the hanger, did not fix the problem. Replaced the cassette and chain 👍 all is well
Likes For TinaTwoWheels:
Old 08-11-21, 04:30 PM
TinaTwoWheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for all of your suggestions and help!!