Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I hate flat tires...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I hate flat tires...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 06:07 AM
twolegs

Bikes: R J Quinn road bike with Reynolds 531cs tubing, Lombardo Hiker 6061 aluminium tubing, Dawes road bike 531c, Dawes road bike 531st, Peugeot road bike reynolds 753

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lovely
Old 08-03-14, 08:57 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed.
That does it. I have to drag my Torpado out, blow off the cobwebs and pose her in front of the garage door for a photo, even if she is sans chain...
Please do. I love them.
I wish I could find a shorter version of the stock pantographed stem, and a longer version of the pantographed seatpost.
Old 08-05-14, 12:40 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Okay, I admit it, I have been disrespectful of the Flat Tire Gods and I deserved my punishment. But I have done my penance. Since making my irreverent post I have used up four patches on a single tube. I am humbled. I have learned my lesson. No more flats, please.
Old 08-05-14, 01:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
We've been married 21 years and I have yet to call my wife to come pick me up from a ride. I'm sure she wouldn't mind, but I'd rather get home a little late with dirty hands than to call the sag wagon. Again, knock on wood.
There's another reason not to call her for such help. She might respond as my wife did. She said no! It was night, and it was raining. I pleaded with her, and she agreed to meet me 7 miles from home rather than drive 16 miles to where I was. I was on my folding bike, which I had planned to put on the train, but I missed the train by less than a minute.

Someone who rides often complained that she gets a lot of flats on her old English 3-speed and it's annoying. I asked her how often. She said something like three times in four years. I suppressed my laughter, and I said she's doing very well. If tires were more puncture-resistant, they'd be no fun to ride.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-05-14, 01:07 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a bout with bad tubes and tires. I turned it into a good opportunity to move onto another bike .
Old 08-05-14, 01:33 PM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My worst flat was my own fault. I bunny hopped railway tracks at the bottom of a hill on a fully loaded touring bike.

I didn't carry a tube, I broke out the patch kit.

It held for a while until I rode a ferry across, and came to the most isolated and desolate part of the whole tour.

I walked about 5 miles till I got to a general store (pre cell phones). I called my aunt who lived in the same town as my destination, about 30 miles away.

My recent issues have been with no glue patches, I recently threw them all away.
Old 08-05-14, 03:00 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
My personal savior would have said "it's a nice day for a walk"
Old 08-05-14, 03:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

On a recent ride, I got a flat on my racing bike along the bike path. No problem, I thought, and I proudly took out the tool kit I had so meticulously packed. I pried my tire off and took out the tube. I had a choice of replacing the tube or patching the punctured one. Then with my hands dirty, I realized I had forgotten my pump.

I was only about a mile and a half from home, so I walked it. I did bother to ask one roadie passing by if he had a pump, and he said no. I didn't want to spend much time asking when I could be walking. It was a nice walk anyway.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-05-14, 04:51 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
I had just picked up a nice bike I'd bought. It was old but complete and everything looked to be in good working order. It was a nice summer evening and I couldn't wait to try out the bike, so I added some air to the tires, strapped my repair kit with spare tubes beneath the saddle, mounted a frame pump and off I went.

About five miles from home the rear started feeling funny. I stopped, got off and sure enough, the tire had gone flat.

But it looked kind of funny too.

It was then that I realized I had been riding on tubulars for the first time in my life.

Old 08-05-14, 05:09 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
It was then that I realized I had been riding on tubulars for the first time in my life.
Were you carrying a spare?

First long ride I took on my tubulars I didn't get a flat, but wondered what would happen if I'd gotten two. Now I carry two.

One an unassisted century I did earlier in the summer I got a flat (on clinchers), stopped to fix it, had the tire nearly pumped up where I wanted it when the head of the pump flew off. Somewhere on a grassy island in Dunstable it lies lost forever. I had patches to fix another tube but no functional pump.

The good news is I've ridden the Masi to work with Veloflex Masters several times and they haven't flatted yet!
Old 08-05-14, 05:31 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was riding at a brisk clip when suddenly:

PFSSST!!!!CLICKETY-CLACKETY-CLANK-CLICK-CLACK-CLACK

I had run over a huge rusty three inch nail which somehow had completely pierced the rear tire of the Centurion and managed to do several revolutions through the narrow stays before I realized what was happening and was able to bring the bike to a halt. The amount of paint chips the nail removed from the chain stays and seat stays was remarkable.
Old 08-05-14, 05:37 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
on a related note ... i broke my first ever spoke recently...

it was on the rear, putting the wheel greatly out of true. i was only a mile from home, so i just walked it home. but here's the rub ...

the quick release side-pull would open just barely enough for the warped rim to make it through the calipers, allowing me to push it home. it rubbed, but made it through. but what if this wasn't the case? what if the rim was so warped, you couldn't push the bike home? what do you do then?

maybe see if moving the wheel in the drops would help? that would really suck if you had to lift up the rear and walk five miles home (or more).
Old 08-05-14, 09:37 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Got one yesterday - first in a very long time. Only maybe 200 miles on the tire. Riding my usual route, which I'd ridden just the day before... A slice right across the tire, between 3/8" and 1/2" long, tire saver didn't help on that one! Probably curtains for that tire. This circular route keeps me pretty close to home, I've not bothered with a spare, so I had about a 15 minute walk, in cleats...
Old 08-05-14, 10:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by jimmuller
The good news is I've ridden the Masi to work with Veloflex Masters several times and they haven't flatted yet!
My wife got some of these tires for her go-fast bike. They're niiiice. But being so small, they need frequent inflation. She went out one day without inflating and got a pinch flat right away. Lesson learned, I hope. I wasn't around so she got it fixed at the LBS! After all I've taught her!

Old 08-06-14, 12:00 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Were you carrying a spare?
Two spare inner tubes, yes.
Walked the five miles back home. With my nice bike.

Old 08-06-14, 12:21 AM
callig

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 9 Posts
I got my first flat in three years it was a double flat I was riding at a good clip when I sunk into a pot hole about 1foot from the edge of the road about 1 inch and a half across and 8 inches long I had pumped up my tires before I left so they were good and hard but they were no match for that pot hole. I was 8 miles from home and I began to walk people were driving by when one person going the other way slowed a bit and then went on its way. a little later the person pulled up beside me and asked if I needed help. They offered to take me home and I said sure so I arrived home about the same time I would have if I were able to finish my ride.
Old 08-06-14, 01:10 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Okay, I admit it, I have been disrespectful of the Flat Tire Gods and I deserved my punishment. But I have done my penance. Since making my irreverent post I have used up four patches on a single tube. I am humbled. I have learned my lesson. No more flats, please.
+1. Guys, we really need to stop talking about flats. Last night, I was talking to my neighbor about my bike commute (while driving to an A's game ). My office moved a few months ago, and my current commute is about 18 miles round-trip over urban, glass-strewn roads. I said, "It's a wonder I haven't gotten more flats," and instantly wished I could take the words back. I knocked on my skull for lack of wood. Today, when grabbing my bike for the commute home, and in a rush to get my daughter from summer camp, I noticed that I had been stricken by my first flat tire since my new commute started. Roughly 4 months and almost 1,500 commuting miles, and all it took was a slight mention about my luck for the bike gods to put me in my place.

Originally Posted by eschlwc
but what if this wasn't the case? what if the rim was so warped, you couldn't push the bike home? what do you do then?
Take the wheel, grab it several inches both sides of the warp, and apply some pressure with your knee. Not too much pressure, but it's easier than you'd think. Won't be precision true, but it will get you home. I learned/witnessed this technique from a former teammate who is now a mechanics for Team Cannondale.
Old 08-06-14, 06:43 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

^ @gaucho777, would you ride it like that? or is this tip just to push it home?

and is the rim then bent, and requires straightening (with knee?) before truing?
Old 08-06-14, 07:58 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I've had a rash of flats recently, and it seems they're partially due to old tubes. The last flat I had was legitimate, as I pulled a nice piece of metal from the tire. But the replacement tube I put in basically just disintegrated. Fortunately the wife was able to come and rescue me. And I've had several older tubes do that to me recently. I'll get a flat for no apparent reason, patch the hole when I'm back home, and another hole will just appear when I test it out. Wasted more than a few patches on tubes thrown into the trash.
ditto, the raleigh gran sport im working has been giving me fits, i recently purchased new panaracer pasela 27x 1 1/8 tires, took a bit to put on the rims, i had a pair of 700c tubes to go with them, rear went on fine and inflated up to 100psi, the fron not so much,

took it off, and noticed it had a pinch flat... patched it.. another pinch flat, patched it again.. ANOTHER PINCH FLAT.. ok new tube.. put it on another pinch flat.. (see a theme here?) i had gotten so frustrated in patching tubes and taking that damn tire off.. so finally i patched the new tube again... finally got it on and inflated... next day... FLAT AGAIN!! five flats in the span fo 12 hours.. im thinking.. ok what have i done wrong? took the tire off again and inspected the tube.. another pinch... so now i went to the LBS and made sure to get a 27" tube, i checked over the rim and noticed a few burrs here and there that im sure was a culprit once or twice, file those down, also having a 700c tube probably didn't give me much room for error... grr.. so now i put on the 27" tube, get the tire back on .. and it inflates correctly.. get the wheel back on.. and of course.. i put the tire on the wrong way.. tread is going the wrong way!!! so of course i have to flip the tire.. at this point the tire is starting to stretch after so many dismountings .. thank god... after the tire was corrected its all good now..
Old 08-06-14, 10:07 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
^ @gaucho777, would you ride it like that? or is this tip just to push it home?

and is the rim then bent, and requires straightening (with knee?) before truing?
Yes, I'd ride it. And yes to putting the knee to the rim before truing. It's better if you have a spoke wrench with you in order to adjust the surrounding spokes, but your knee can get you back on the road if you just need the wheel to clear the brakes/stays.
Old 08-06-14, 10:51 AM
5matt

Bikes: 72 Gitane TDF (fixie), 73 Colnago Super (frame), 1985 Centurion Elite RS, 1999 Torelli Super Countach (commuter), 2002 Colnago CT1 (fun)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on a related note ... i broke my first ever spoke recently...

it was on the rear, putting the wheel greatly out of true. i was only a mile from home, so i just walked it home. but here's the rub ...

the quick release side-pull would open just barely enough for the warped rim to make it through the calipers, allowing me to push it home. it rubbed, but made it through. but what if this wasn't the case? what if the rim was so warped, you couldn't push the bike home? what do you do then?

maybe see if moving the wheel in the drops would help? that would really suck if you had to lift up the rear and walk five miles home (or more).
Undo the cable clamp on the brake-should give you enough clearance, means you need to have a toolkit with you. Ride home without using that brake (I speak from experience, bladed spoke broke, didn't have a bladed spoke wrench).
Old 08-06-14, 05:02 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Originally Posted by 5matt
Undo the cable clamp on the brake... means you need to have a toolkit with you...
yeah, i would if i were riding cross country or if i feared breaking a spoke again was highly probable. i already feel i bring too much stuff with me.

my knee, though, i don't mind bringing along...
Old 08-07-14, 01:44 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I should never have posted to this thread. But now that the damage is done, I am going to bump this thread every time I get a flat tire. I encourage the rest of you to do this as well, until it becomes a sticky, and maybe we can appease the flat tire gods in this manner.

My train leaves the station at 5:25 AM and it's a 15-20 minute ride. I left the house at 5:02 and discovered the rear tire* of my folding bike was flat. Totally. Flat. I pumped it up and raced to the station and was happy to find there was still air in the tire when I got on the train. There was still air in the tire when I got off the train 90 minutes later.

But a little while ago I found it flat again. Not totally flat, but close enough. Both tires are getting on towards bald, with a few thousand miles on the rear* and maybe six thousand miles on the front.** So I figured it's time to splurge. I had a pair of new tires*** and tubes stored away for just this purpose, so I installed them. Perhaps the flat tire gods will consider this an appropriate sacrifice in their honor. Odometer reading 8383 miles.

*rear tire: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 20 x 1.75
** front tire: Schwalbe Big Apple 20 x 2.0
***new tires: Panaracer Minits Tough 20 x 1.25 (32-406)

Last edited by rhm; 08-07-14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 02:26 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
......Five miles out from the store got a rear flat, luckily I had my own saddle bag with me and was able to replace the tube in a jiffy. Was some small piece of very fine wire/metal that had worked its way thru the casing and into the tube. Where does that crap come from? ...
I call them "Michelin Wires". They come from steel-belted radials whose steel belts are disintegrating from either being run bald or being put on backwards after running forward for a while (the wires break and work themselves out of the car's tires and into ours).

I finally found out what those little metal strips about 1/8" wide and maybe a foot long are- street sweeper bristles! The more you see of those, the less you see of road debris!
Old 08-07-14, 04:10 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle_maven
I call them "Michelin Wires". They come from steel-belted radials whose steel belts are disintegrating from either being run bald or being put on backwards after running forward for a while (the wires break and work themselves out of the car's tires and into ours).

I finally found out what those little metal strips about 1/8" wide and maybe a foot long are- street sweeper bristles! The more you see of those, the less you see of road debris!
Thank you for knowing the origin of those tiny wires that plague us. They are impossible to avoid. You truly live up to your title.

Now if I were to only pick up all the metal car tire balancing weights I see in the gutter I'd have a ton of scrap in a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.