Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genesis Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Genesis Folding Bike

Old 04-05-15, 08:34 PM
kurtp13

Bikes: Trek 820, Cannondale F500 with Trekking bars and road tires, Bianchi Alfana, Panasonic PCI "Les Maillots", Cannondale M1000 Tandem, Schwinn Johnny, Trek Lime, 1964 Armstrong, 1962 Raleigh Gazelle, 1964 AMF Hercules, Brooklyn Cruiser Driggs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Westgl. Do you know what gear inch range you have with thr flyby?
Old 04-09-15, 02:23 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
Are there any effective steering tube bottle holders? I tried the one in the OP and the fit was too tight.
Old 04-09-15, 03:49 PM
kurtp13

Bikes: Trek 820, Cannondale F500 with Trekking bars and road tires, Bianchi Alfana, Panasonic PCI "Les Maillots", Cannondale M1000 Tandem, Schwinn Johnny, Trek Lime, 1964 Armstrong, 1962 Raleigh Gazelle, 1964 AMF Hercules, Brooklyn Cruiser Driggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icedmocha
Are there any effective steering tube bottle holders? I tried the one in the OP and the fit was too tight.

I am using the Bell Clinch 600 which has a rubber contact to the tube and velcro straps to tighten it to the tube. I wanted something that could be taken off quickly if I need to move it when packing. At first I was disappointed in the retention of the bottle. It fell off a few times on bumps. I had it positioned on the back side of the steering tube. Since then I moved it to the side of the tube which seems to work much better. After moving it I lost the bottle one time on a severe bump. Because the opening is now on the side, the bottle stays in much better. I even bought another cage since then. Walmart now carries them in the store. I initially saw it at Target.
Old 04-09-15, 05:50 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
That's a good looking folder for $200,,

It looks to have the exact same folding pedals as my $600 Dahon

I can say now that a 14-28 cog cassette would not be enough for me even with a 52T up front.

My Cassette is an 11-30,,52 chaining,, So far on my very few short rides I don't use the 30t much but I do use the 7th gear often,
and have dipped into the 11T a few times... 7th gear is a 13 T

Last edited by osco53; 04-09-15 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 09:19 AM
gardner041

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought the Genesis Folding Bike a couple of weeks ago and I am looking to do some upgrades on the bike. I am undecided if I should switch to some bullhorn handlebars or get bar ends and an aero bar setup so I can be in a more aerodynamic position when riding. So far I am really enjoying the ride and have went on a couple 5 mile rides and average 14.2 miles an hour and I am also thinking of replacing the freewheel to DNP 7 speed 11t-30t to get some more speed. Any thoughts and recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory G
Old 04-11-15, 10:45 AM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gardner041
I recently bought the Genesis Folding Bike a couple of weeks ago and I am looking to do some upgrades on the bike. I am undecided if I should switch to some bullhorn handlebars or get bar ends and an aero bar setup so I can be in a more aerodynamic position when riding. So far I am really enjoying the ride and have went on a couple 5 mile rides and average 14.2 miles an hour and I am also thinking of replacing the freewheel to DNP 7 speed 11t-30t to get some more speed. Any thoughts and recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory G

I installed bar ends and this stem extender. I like the reach. I was having some trouble with the fold at first but then I discovered that if I extended the handlebar past a safe riding position that I could fold it somewhat below the frame. That was easy and helped me keep the extender. Just one simple thing to add to the fold and unfold sequence. I think the OP mentioned wishing he had just put on bar ends due to the fold complication.

I am running a DNS Epoch 11-32 freewheel with a 53 T Chain ring. I like this combo so far and have done some long rides on it. No complaints. I live in a hilly area and wanted as low a gear as I could squeeze out. The 46 T original chain ring was not cutting it on the high end though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015-04-11 12.36.10.jpg (100.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-11-15, 01:04 PM
gardner041

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtp13

I installed bar ends and this stem extender. I like the reach. I was having some trouble with the fold at first but then I discovered that if I extended the handlebar past a safe riding position that I could fold it somewhat below the frame. That was easy and helped me keep the extender. Just one simple thing to add to the fold and unfold sequence. I think the OP mentioned wishing he had just put on bar ends due to the fold complication.

I am running a DNS Epoch 11-32 freewheel with a 53 T Chain ring. I like this combo so far and have done some long rides on it. No complaints. I live in a hilly area and wanted as low a gear as I could squeeze out. The 46 T original chain ring was not cutting it on the high end though.

Thanks a lot for the info. I think the stem extender would help out a lot. Can you tell me where you ordered it from? Also I will soon be upgrading the freewheel and chain ring to a similar setup as yours.
Old 04-11-15, 01:16 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info. I think the stem extender would help out a lot. Can you tell me where you ordered it from? Also I will soon be upgrading the freewheel and chain ring to a similar setup as yours.

I ordered the stem extender from Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161072913336...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Item:
gobike88 SATORI Adjustable Stem ABERHALLO 50mm, 198g, HBA-02N, free shipping 056 $23.53 FS.

There are some cheaper versions out there but I like the finish on this one and the four unique bolts. I wasn't crazy about the ones I saw with only two bolts. It seemed like a lack of redundancy. I was very happy with the item as received.

Regarding the freewheel, I forgot to mention that I upgraded to a 7 speed from the original 6 speed which I think you could do with only a freewheel and shifter change. You had already planned to do a freewheel so the shifter is ~$15 additionally. I changed the chain for length also.

Old 04-13-15, 05:37 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Originally Posted by kurtp13
I am using the Bell Clinch 600 which has a rubber contact to the tube and velcro straps to tighten it to the tube. I wanted something that could be taken off quickly if I need to move it when packing. At first I was disappointed in the retention of the bottle. It fell off a few times on bumps. I had it positioned on the back side of the steering tube. Since then I moved it to the side of the tube which seems to work much better. After moving it I lost the bottle one time on a severe bump. Because the opening is now on the side, the bottle stays in much better. I even bought another cage since then. Walmart now carries them in the store. I initially saw it at Target.
Thanks I'll pick one up.
Old 04-15-15, 09:57 AM
gardner041

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you stop the handlebar stem from squeaking?
Old 04-17-15, 05:53 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oil it but don't go crazy with it like i did. I think I'm paying for my generous application of lube. I have had to re tighten some fasteners and the button just popped off at the handlebar joint. I found it but the spring was gone. It replaced it with a ball point pen spring which seems to be a perfect fit. The button has a friction fit to the rod with moves the latch pawl. My super deluxe lube appears to have crept into that area.

It was a bit of a panic at firat whenI couldn't find the spring. I was hoping to use the bike tomorrow morning. Now I can.
Old 04-17-15, 07:49 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See post #146
Old 04-18-15, 04:19 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
How about the Tern Andros Stem a quick release stem on the ThorUSA site ?
Old 04-29-15, 12:17 PM
Bikeman58

Bikes: Giant Defy, 1977 LeJeune #1 French Team Bike, Geoffrey Butler custom, Specialized Stumpjumper, Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, Bianchi Volpe, Melon Slice folding bike, Genesis folding bike, etc.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went Genesis... and a couple of weeks in have no regrets. Solidly built frame and okay parts. Came with a bent rear axle, but Kent sent me out a new rear wheel and I had it in less than a week. Awesome customer service.
Added grease and adjusted hubs, headset and BB... all were very tight and binding. Now everything feels pretty good.

Went to my local bike co-op / non-profit and scored with an older STX RC rear derailleur which shifts much, much nicer than the Tourney the Genesis came with -- and it is all metal.
Took the Hookworm tires, Ergo seat and Planet Bike rack off my broken down Downtube and put those on the Genesis -- saved around $140 bucks there.
Changed out the uncomfortable grips, added bar ends for some additional reach, an IncrediBell, and I am in business.
Still want to change the Fleaby freewheel -- that is definitely the weak link on this bike. It knocks and occasionally slips... I just have to figure out if I want to change to a 7-speed configuration... but then I will need a new shifter, and I suspect a new chain.
What drivetrain upgrades are folks recommending?

Anyway, since I had most of these parts already, I have added a whopping $15. to my purchase price... so I am pretty pleased so far.

Thanks to everyone on this thread whose posts encouraged me to go this route. I think the Genesis is definitely a category killer... and the best value in the sub $500 price range.
Old 04-29-15, 12:28 PM
Bikeman58

Bikes: Giant Defy, 1977 LeJeune #1 French Team Bike, Geoffrey Butler custom, Specialized Stumpjumper, Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, Bianchi Volpe, Melon Slice folding bike, Genesis folding bike, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atombikes
The stem seems stiff enough. Lengthening your reach does place more strain on the riser, but the stresses are working on the hinge, not the locking pins (see pic).

Since this is a quill-style riser, it's easily replaced with something else.
Thanks for the info and encouragement. I am enjoying this bike way more than I expected. Was thinking it was a stop gap measure, but suspect I will keep it around. My only concern is the folding mechanisms. Anyone had any issues with these failing, breaking, etc. They seem a bit more complicated than necessary, so I wonder about the durability / longevity.
Old 04-29-15, 06:12 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I think the Genesis is definitely a category killer... and the best value in the sub $500 price range.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. For your $200 you're getting a lot of cheap, heavy parts that people seem to spend a lot of time fixing/replacing. It seems to me most buyers would be better off starting with an Origami, Downtube, or the lower-end Dahons and Terns. Or buy used.
Old 04-30-15, 12:21 PM
Bikeman58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I think the Genesis is definitely a category killer... and the best value in the sub $500 price range.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. For your $200 you're getting a lot of cheap, heavy parts that people seem to spend a lot of time fixing/replacing. It seems to me most buyers would be better off starting with an Origami, Downtube, or the lower-end Dahons and Terns. Or buy used.
I stand by what I said with a caveat: you have to be a bike mechanic, technically proficient, or willing to learn, to really get the value out of the Genesis. I can pick up better parts and replace bit by bit... it is a hobby. Also, this is not necessarily the best bike for someone who is not familiar with bikes and just wants to take it out of the box and ride, though if your budget is $200. and you can't find something decent used...

For the record, it is as light as my Downtube was / and my friends Downtube. Though heavier than the Nova, it feels sturdier and has a less upright riding position that I prefer. It is about the same weight as my Melon Slice -- though the Slice did hot come with rear rack braze-ons, which limits the functionality for me. Most of the sub $500. bikes make compromises and use a number of cheap parts... my wife's Nova and the Genesis both came with low end Shimano Derailleurs... the one on the Nova broke and I replaced it -- on the Genesis, I replaced proactively.

Where I think the Genesis shines is the frame (consensus of my "folding bike" friends is that it is nicer than my Melon frame or Downtube frames)... though only time will tell about its durability.

I also like that the Genesis is a rigid frame. I just don't get most of the suspension folders -- too heavy and clunky and you lose efficiency. Maybe if you are going to use it a lot off road... but then I want a real Mountain Bike.

I liked Melon, but they appear to be out of business. Hasa impresses me, as does Origami... but no one else can touch $200.
Old 04-30-15, 01:27 PM
Bikeman58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picture of work in progress
Attached Images
20150430_152229.jpg (102.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-30-15, 02:01 PM
Bikeman58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More pics
Attached Images
20150430_154123.jpg (92.6 KB, 79 views)
20150430_154036.jpg (95.9 KB, 80 views)
20150430_154022.jpg (104.6 KB, 74 views)
14304240302171223592734.jpg (97.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-30-15, 02:37 PM
Bikeman58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big fan of the Planet Bike rack I have been using the past several years. It can require minor modification to make it fit and be level, but it is a true functional rack... unlike so many provided by most folding bike manufactures . Most OEM racks on folding bikes cannot take panniers or for that matter, trunk bags/baskets that have a footprint nominally wider than the rack because it results in heel strike. The Planet Bike rack is positioned up from the rear wheel and back from the seat post minimizing the likelihood of heel strike. It is worth trying for riders frustrated by the low, flimsy racks that come stock on so many bikes.
Old 04-30-15, 06:29 PM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeman58
Picture of work in progress
Old 04-30-15, 09:05 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
If you act now, you can have one with apehangers for twice the price!

Custom Genesis Folding Bike $400 obo
Old 05-01-15, 03:37 AM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you act now, you can have one with apehangers for twice the price!

Custom Genesis Folding Bike $400 obo

And doesn't come with the front pouch or rear rack. Wow, what a bargain. He even mentions the original price of $200.
Old 05-04-15, 11:23 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Perhaps. I have been using mine for about a year now without replacing any parts save the seat with a brooks I had laying around. I may add bar ends and new grips as well. It's been a great bike.
Old 05-04-15, 11:26 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Originally Posted by Bikeman58
More pics
What's the deal with that seat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.