Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which Cat to register for first race?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Cat to register for first race?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 09:53 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachPerry19
If you shouldn't enter a race as a newbie because you might not be able to "hold your line" when and where would you learn how to "hold it"?

That's like telling somebody who wants to learn how to baseball that if you can't hit home runs you should maybe stick to monopoly.

Tolerance for entry level questions seems to decrease with the number of posts.
Did you actually read the thread? No one said that the OP shouldn't enter a race, nor was there a lack of tolerance for his question. Good advice was given by multiple people.

As for learning, a lot of people learn about bike handling in a group by doing group training rides. In my local area, there are at least 4 group rides per week that are fast-paced, aggressive, and simulate the kind of pack experience you get on race day.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-23-21 at 09:58 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-23-21, 09:58 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you shouldn't enter a race as a newbie because you might not be able to "hold your line" when and where would you learn how to "hold it"?

That's like telling somebody who wants to learn how to baseball that if you can't hit home runs you should maybe stick to monopoly.

Tolerance for entry level questions seems to decrease with the number of posts.
Read the thread again. This never happened and the OP was given solid advice multiple times. He was never told to not race for any reason.
Old 03-23-21, 10:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
weekday/weekend group rides, informal race-like group rides (seems every metro area has a local "Worlds" ride that's competitive and you hold on as long as you can), look for training series, or other beginner races. One club in this area has a specific "never raced before" race. It's first thing at 8am which stinks, but it's there. The intention is that if one is going to enter a race it shouldn't be the first time riding in a group. Shrug.
In the Bay Area, there is a series of "early bird" criteriums specifically for newbies, with drills and mentors. They were cancelled this year because of, you know, but that's a great option for Cat 5s. In fact, I think that if you attended these, you'd get double credit towards your upgrade to 4.

Also, many of the Cat 5 crits in NorCal have a mentor or two riding at the back and they'll do a post-ride debrief.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-23-21, 12:21 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
The difference being no matter how unskilled I am at baseball, I'm not likely to seriously injure another player or damage their equipment to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 03-23-21, 01:55 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In the Bay Area, there is a series of "early bird" criteriums specifically for newbies, with drills and mentors. They were cancelled this year because of, you know, but that's a great option for Cat 5s. In fact, I think that if you attended these, you'd get double credit towards your upgrade to 4.

Also, many of the Cat 5 crits in NorCal have a mentor or two riding at the back and they'll do a post-ride debrief.
I mentored at those for years, Larry Nolan runs a great program.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-25-21, 01:19 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I can't give any advice​​​​​ but if it were me, I think I'd start as Cat 2, maybe in a Pro/1/2 race. Because that's easy to say when there's zero chance I'll ever enter a bike race.
Old 03-25-21, 04:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I can't give any advice​​​​​ but if it were me, I think I'd start as Cat 2, maybe in a Pro/1/2 race. Because that's easy to say when there's zero chance I'll ever enter a bike race.
And it's more impressive to come in DFL in a Pro/1/2 race than to come in 3rd in a Cat 5.

Problem is, they won't let a novice into a Pro/1/2.
Old 03-25-21, 04:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Koyote
And it's more impressive to come in DFL in a Pro/1/2 race than to come in 3rd in a Cat 5.

I dunno. Finishing at the front of the herd in a Cat 5 race probably included dodging at least one pavement surfer, and at least 3 squirrels. Those moves can be pretty impressive.
Old 03-26-21, 06:59 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Maybe I'll start with a Continental race then. It's still easy to say.
Old 04-02-21, 10:57 AM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
I signed up for a 4 hour workshop next week for new racers that has an on the bike portion. Looking forward to that. And I also registered for my first race in June as a cat 5. Thanks to all.

chris
Likes For Chris O:
Old 04-02-21, 11:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Chris O
I signed up for a 4 hour workshop next week for new racers that has an on the bike portion. Looking forward to that. And I also registered for my first race in June as a cat 5. Thanks to all.

chris
Great! Have fun, and good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-02-21, 02:24 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris O

chris
Well done!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-03-21, 07:42 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
As mentioned, don't let the Masters 45+ fool you, those guys are strong af.
Back in my road running days I used to think that when I moved up an age group the competition would get easier because there were fewer runners. What happens in reality is that the same guys who were winning all of the races in when they were 25 or 30 are still competing and winning everything in the older age groups. The people who dropped out were the "also rans" who used to make up the bulk of the field.
Old 04-04-21, 02:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Keep those eyes peeled and head on a swivel on those Cat 5 races. Participants may have good power and mediocre bike handling skills or mistake riding recklessly for riding aggressively. Be alert on the turns and sprints, follow only the reliable wheels, and you'll be okay and have fun.

If I had it to do over again, I'd worry less about trying to win every crit and focus more on honing my ability to watch what other riders were doing, and learn who's safe to draft and who should be avoided. I learned that stuff quickly after my first crash on a final sprint. But after healing up and moving up a class it was more fun and the riders were significantly better skilled.

And -- not to be a wet blanket -- but work out well in advance your plans for an emergency room, contacting family, etc. If you get a concussion you may not remember that stuff and probably won't be alert enough to inform strangers or race organizers. Keep that contact info, ER and insurance info readily available in a jersey pocket -- not on the bike which might become separated from you in an accident. Been there, done that.