Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Schwinn World Tourist?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Schwinn World Tourist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 03:29 PM
MacMorrighan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwinn World Tourist?

Hey guys, I am returning to bike writing after almost 30 years. Long story short, my great aunt and uncle, whom I dearly loved, bought me a 10 speed bike when I was about 12 or. 13, and the bike was simply too big for me--it was about as tall as I was, which made me feel like I'd fall just by trying to ride it. (They didn't know any better.). So, I stopped riding it. Now I want to return to riding to improve my health and run errands, etc. since I plan to return to college and pursue my master's degree in vocal pedagogy; but, I've lost my breath support, which is also my reason for returning to biking. Anyhow, because I plan on using my bike as a part-time commuter, I was wondering if the Schwinn World Tourist might fit the bill? I saw someone selling one for about $65 nearby on FB. I'm asking because I don't want to buy it only to discover that it's not built to last through what I'll be putting it through in gradually regaining my health and using it to commute back and forth to college from my apartment, grocery shopping, and other chose where I must get out and about.

Take Care,
Wade
Old 04-04-21, 04:20 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My dad trash-picked a World Tourist for me, many years ago. Very few of its parts were salvageable, but I kept the frame, handlebar, brakes, brake levers, and fenders, found other scavenged parts to put on it, and commuted on it for many years. So I would say that a bike "of that ilk" would make a fine commuter if it's in good working order.

Now for the downsides, which also explains why I didn't try too hard to recover the parts that I removed and got rid of.

1. It has a funky Shimano drivetrain, where the ratchet is in the crank, and a bottom bracket with a weird octagonal spline. These were not necessarily bad innovations per se, but they were short lived, meaning that replacement parts will be hard to find should they ever be needed. I believe the rear cluster can be replaced with a regular freewheel when the cogs wear out (which they eventually will). Also, it will accept a mainstream bottom bracket.

2. It has steel rims, which means that braking in wet weather will be virtually nonexistent.

I turned mine into a three speed, using a salvaged wheel and crank, so the drivetrain and rim issues became moot points. The frame and same-color fenders are quite elegant, and it was an extremely comfortable bike to ride. With all old bikes, if you have to maintain it with brand new parts, it can become a money pit, if you have access to somewhere like a bike co-op or a source of second hand parts, you can keep it working quite cheaply.

Anything that old will need new brake pads and tires at the very least, don't forget to figure that into your ultimate cost.
Old 04-04-21, 04:41 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Like he said, parts availability is key.
Parts can be reasonably cheap on eBay, if you can minimize the shipping, but if you really want to jump in, buy another bike for parts and salvage the bits from it. Making old junkers functional again can bring some satisfaction.
my daughter rides and commutes on an old Schwinn World every day. It’s her only form of transportation.
We Added a modern 700C wheelset and brakes, and it rides nicely now.
She learned to wrench on it, and can now help other people with their bikes.
As an added bonus, old bikes with a bit of patina, seem to attract less attention from the sticky fingered potential thieves when parked near shiny modern machines. 😉
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 04-04-21, 08:13 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I had one from the 1980's and gave it to a local charity about 15 years ago. Then I started cycling 7 years ago and started bicycle commuting to work 5 years ago. The SWT would have been great for that kind of riding. If I remember correctly, you can put racks on it for panniers so you don't have to put a backpack on your back.
Old 04-04-21, 08:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Oh man, that is an old bike. Even aside from the funky drivetrain, you must find out if the thing is basically sound to ride. All the plastic and rubber parts not cracked up, all the ball bearings cleaned and greased some time this century. Otherwise you are buying a hobby, not a bike. A bike shop will charge you a couple of hundred bucks for all that.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-04-21, 09:07 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I've got one I've converted to a three speed. The only things left from the original bike are the frame and fork.
Likes For steve0257:
Old 04-05-21, 08:48 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Oh man, that is an old bike. Even aside from the funky drivetrain, you must find out if the thing is basically sound to ride. All the plastic and rubber parts not cracked up, all the ball bearings cleaned and greased some time this century. Otherwise you are buying a hobby, not a bike. A bike shop will charge you a couple of hundred bucks for all that.
It had very few plastic parts. But you're quite right. I think the pro's and con's of an old bike depend to a large extent on whether the owner wants to do their own work. If not, then a new entry level bike might become more economical. Repacking the bearings and replacing the rubber would be kind of a minimum maintenance for a bike of that age. It's easy and quick if you have the tools. If not, then figure the cost of the tools into the overall project cost.
Old 04-06-21, 09:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by MacMorrighan
I was wondering if the Schwinn World Tourist might fit the bill? I saw someone selling one for about $65 nearby on FB. I'm asking because I don't want to buy it only to discover that it's not built to last through what I'll be putting it through in gradually regaining my health and using it to commute back and forth to college from my apartment, grocery shopping, and other chose where I must get out and about.
I bought one for $15 at a garage sale in 2006. Took it to Philadelphia area to use use for getting around the area when I visit relatives about once a year. Store it in relative's garage, where relatives occasionally use it. I replaced the worn out tires, changed out the saddle for a comfy leather one from my own parts basket, and added various useful stuff like mirror, lights, rack and basket that made it suitable for riding around Philadelphia and its suburbs. Never had a mechanical problem. Last rode it this summer on the Delaware Canal Tow Path near Trenton when I visited relatives.

A fine bike for your intended purpose.

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike: