Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How fast do you descend?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How fast do you descend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 07:16 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
My mom will not let me go past 40 mph.
She checks Strava and I am on bike restriction if over 40 mph.
Old 04-04-21, 09:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't feel comfortable doing 35 mph almost anywhere in the city. Our streets are 3rd world quality, I can't see far enough down cross streets, and you never know when a dog or kid will appear out of nowhere.

57 mph coming down Barlow Pass, that was great!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-04-21, 09:17 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't feel comfortable doing 35 mph almost anywhere in the city. Our streets are 3rd world quality, I can't see far enough down cross streets, and you never know when a dog or kid will appear out of nowhere.

57 mph coming down Barlow Pass, that was great!
I have noticed that U turns are thing in Seattle. Right on Aurora Ave, drivers will just flip a U turn across three lanes.
Old 04-04-21, 10:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If there aren't any curves, I grab two handfuls of copper, get aero and let it happen.
Lol im too much of a coward to grab my copper when going super fast. I supertuck and keep my hands close to the breaks. my aerobar is pretty sketchy at high speeds because if I start sweating heavlly my arm can slip forwards which makes me turn (ie eat dirt)
Old 04-04-21, 11:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The faster you go the more you need suspension, but bikes with suspension really aren’t that fast. It’s a mystery.

I believe the speed record for a bike without pacing is held by a guy in a skin suit riding a special MTB down a ski mountain. Someone will check me I’m sure.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-05-21, 06:50 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Depends on the road, if the pavement is good, and I have a good line of sight, I've done 55mph with zero pucker factor. On other roads, it'll feel sketchy at 40, just depends. But under decent conditions, I do 50+ pretty regularly.
Old 04-05-21, 08:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I did a few stupid fast decent 20ish years ago I am guessing near 60 from what other folks clocked, but these days I doubt I ever break 40mph. The payoff/risk ratio is just too low for me... and my ride is way less aero now, anyway.

If I want a DH adrenaline rush, I ride the MTB.
Old 04-05-21, 09:20 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Depends on many factors. Familiarity leads to the fastest descents, conversely, lack of familiarity keeps it in check; road conditions, unknown intersections, wet conditions. My bike is very stable but I have seen high speed wobbles that look very scary.
Old 04-05-21, 09:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
When I was a racer-boy in my early 30s, bumping and grind at 30mph was no problem, neither was descending at 50+. My max. was 60 on a long wide-open descent during a race in Death Valley. That made me nervous. After being off the bike for 15 years, being over 50 years old, and having a much higher concern for my structural integrity, my nervous line has dropped to about 40mph. I've been to 50mph once recently, but it was definitely a stretch out of my comfort zone.

This was from my ride on Saturday morning...
I wasn't pushing to go my fastest, just enjoying one of my favorite descents. According to my Strava data, I averaged about 30mph in this section, with my max. at 38. For comparison, the top Strava times on this segment (set by brothers Cory and Justin Williams - US pro crit beasts) are about 10mph faster average speed.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-05-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-05-21, 10:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
How about max drafting speed?

Some years back, a friend and I jumped behind a grain truck as it pulled out from a crossroad, and drafted as it accelerated. I made it to about 49+ mph before I couldn't spin fast enough, and my friend hit 50 mph before dropping off. We were 2-3 feet off the rear bumper the whole time.

Eric F : I find that sort of long, fast descent to be very tiring. Few a few years I did the Mt Evans Hillclimb race - 28 miles, about 7000 feet of elevation gain. The first year, one of the pro teams offered me a ride down -- they had an opening in a vehicle. I said, "Hell, no, I rode up and I'm riding down!" About halfway down, I understood why they went down in the team cars. Descending a winding road at high speed takes a lot of unwavering concentration.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-05-21 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-05-21, 10:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Koyote
How about max drafting speed?

Some years back, a friend and I jumped behind a grain truck as it pulled out from a crossroad, and drafted as it accelerated. I made it to about 49+ mph before I couldn't spin fast enough, and my friend hit 50 mph before dropping off. We were 2-3 feet off the rear bumper the whole time.
You need to use your little ring, like Dave did in Breaking Away when he was drafting behind the semi.

Eric F : I find that sort of long, fast descent to be very tiring. Few a few years I did the Mt Evans Hillclimb race - 28 miles, about 7000 feet of elevation gain. The first year, one of the pro teams offered me a ride down -- they had an opening in a vehicle. I said, "Hell, no, I rode up and I'm riding down!" About halfway down, I understood why they went down in the team cars. Descending a winding road at high speed takes a lot of unwavering concentration.
I don't have that issue. I love that zone of concentration, and the mental exercise of setting up your line and body position for a corner.
Old 04-05-21, 10:36 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Depends on my tires and the geometry of the bike I'm on. My Schwinn has a 72* HT and Paselas, so it becomes unsettled at above 50. Need more time on that bike. Maruishi has a 74* HT and wide tubs, so I've comfortably railed around corners at close to 50mph. Just depends on the bike.
Old 04-05-21, 11:05 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I was going 44mph down a descent when I saw something in the road up ahead. The item was blocking the shoulder and it didn't occur to me to slow down because I was planning on going around the item. As I got closer, I realize it was a railroad tie that had probably fallen off a truck. As I got near to pass the item, a huge truck was passing me on the left. I realize I couldn't go around it, so I bunny hopped it at 44mph. My back wheel hit the top, I wobbled pretty good, I saved it and stuck the landing. My heart was beating so fast after that close call. When I'm going over 40mph, I am always looking for what could possibly kill me.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 04-05-21, 11:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
I find that sort of long, fast descent to be very tiring. Few a few years I did the Mt Evans Hillclimb race - 28 miles, about 7000 feet of elevation gain. The first year, one of the pro teams offered me a ride down -- they had an opening in a vehicle. I said, "Hell, no, I rode up and I'm riding down!" About halfway down, I understood why they went down in the team cars. Descending a winding road at high speed takes a lot of unwavering concentration.
Descending Mt. Evans is kind of a special case, because the pavement is really terrible. Unwavering concentration is required so you don't destroy your wheels.
Old 04-05-21, 11:49 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
My eyes become a limiting factor at some point. I hit 40 on a hill today and they were tearing up too much and I had to slow down. I have prescription eyeglasses but I'm starting to see why all the pros are wearing those face wraps.

The road itself was straight, wide, perfectly paved, no cars etc so no real reason to slow down otherwise. The gyroscopic forces get higher the faster you go so it gets progressively harder to wipe out.. unless an obstacle suddenly presents itself.
Oh, yeah, wrap-around or sport sunglasses are the way to go. Crap, my eyes start watering at 20+ mph.

I remember hitting 45 on the old Dawes Atlantis, somewhere out in the San Fernando Valley, I think. High-30s is about where I sit nowadays, on old MTBs with 1.5 slicks.
Old 04-05-21, 12:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

This was from my ride on Saturday morning...
https://youtu.be/ljln8FpJ2t4
I wasn't pushing to go my fastest, just enjoying one of my favorite descents. According to my Strava data, I averaged about 30mph in this section, with my max. at 38. For comparison, the top Strava times on this segment (set by brothers Cory and Justin Williams - US pro crit beasts) are about 10mph faster average speed.
Some years ago a guy at work started riding bikes and got a nice, light mtb. This guy had spent his life on 2 wheels, raced desert, a little motocross, etc., so he had the skill for mtb riding. He kept asking to go on a road ride with me so I told him we were going to GMR and he wanted to try it. We agreed that he would turn back if it got to be too much for him. My friends and I went to the village after dropping him on GRR and didn't think we would see him again. We started back down and he was still climbing, almost to Cow Saddle. He was out of food and water and looked beat. We gave him snacks and water and started the descent.

I'm not a fast descender but I can usually drop mountain bikes but this guy was stuck to my rear wheel all the way down to Sierra Madre. I was impressed with his handling skill. Better than a lot of roadies out there. I eventually did go mountain biking with him and he eventually got a road bike.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-05-21, 12:08 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 870 Posts
I have occasionally hit just over 40mph on long/straight descents and that's good enough for me. I have little interest in pushing beyond that. Things start happening really fast at those speeds.

I have friends who did a ride with Christian Vande Velde about 10 years ago in Colorado. They were all worried about keeping up with him on the climbs, but he took it easy on the way up and then proceeded to put on a show on the descents. No one could keep up. 50mph+ is no big deal to those guys.
Old 04-05-21, 12:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts

Eric F : I find that sort of long, fast descent to be very tiring. Descending a winding road at high speed takes a lot of unwavering concentration.
I agree 100% for some roads but the one EricF posted above is actually pretty nice. There are some hard braking turns but it isn't one of those descents that wears you out. To me the worst ones are the bumpy broken pavement roads that make you wish you had a mountain bike. The ones that make my vision blurry.
Old 04-05-21, 12:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by big john
I agree 100% for some roads but the one EricF posted above is actually pretty nice. There are some hard braking turns but it isn't one of those descents that wears you out. To me the worst ones are the bumpy broken pavement roads that make you wish you had a mountain bike. The ones that make my vision blurry.
Yeah. I'm not such a fan of those, either.
Old 04-05-21, 12:52 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 708 Posts
As others have already pointed out, it is entirely circumstantial. I've hit 58mph a couple times and would've gone faster if I could have spun my legs any harder...but those were on a road with very good sight lines and no traffic whatsoever. Felt perfectly safe and in-control. Conversely I've "felt unsafe" descending at 18mph...mostly because of the other asshats on bikes descending around me, and/or the road conditions, traffic patterns, weather, whatever.

Whether or not I'm wearing a helmet has zero bearing on whether or not I feel safe.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 04-05-21, 01:00 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My personal best is 67.7 kmh (42+ mph)

That was on a fatbike with a loose front QR skewer.

yehaw
Old 04-05-21, 01:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Lol im too much of a coward to grab my copper when going super fast. I supertuck and keep my hands close to the breaks. my aerobar is pretty sketchy at high speeds because if I start sweating heavlly my arm can slip forwards which makes me turn (ie eat dirt)
I don't think I have ever exceeded 40 mph on my road bike. When Strava or Wahoo apps tell me that I exceeded 35 mph, I suspect momentary GPS glitches; the corresponding peaks on the graph look too sharp.

What is this "grabbing copper"? Will someone please enlighten me?
Old 04-05-21, 01:45 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
my max was 52.8 but it didnt feel like it. That KOM lasted for 8 years on that particular decent

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 04-05-21, 01:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Oh, yeah, wrap-around or sport sunglasses are the way to go. Crap, my eyes start watering at 20+ mph.

I remember hitting 45 on the old Dawes Atlantis, somewhere out in the San Fernando Valley, I think. High-30s is about where I sit nowadays, on old MTBs with 1.5 slicks.
Even with wraparound shades, there are times when I feel like the wind may dislodge a contact lens.
Old 04-05-21, 01:59 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Even with wraparound shades, there are times when I feel like the wind may dislodge a contact lens.
Ah, I can see that. I don't wear contacts, just have the plastic prescription inserts. But I'm pretty lucky, and my prescription is pretty weak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.