Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Treviso?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pinarello Treviso?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 08:19 PM
NormanB

Bikes: single speed bridgestone bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pinarello Treviso?

Hi All, I just got a Pinarello frame, though in a bad paint condition and even worse decal , actually stripped off decal condition, it is still identifiable as a pinarello with hints of treviso text decal from the seat tube.
The frame has a serial F875X on the bb shell and matching serial on its fork. One thing I noticed is the shifter cable guide on the BB which Im not really familiar with looking at other Pinarello bike. The frame has Pinarello stamping on lugs and seat stays. Hopoe anyone can help out, im planning to restore this and put on the correct decal set.

Old 04-19-21, 08:23 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I have to ask, what vintage Pinarello doesn’t have chipping paint and disappearing decals?

As for the BB cable guides, yes they are internal and different from my Gavin. With mine the cables run right against the BB shell through 2 loops.
Old 04-20-21, 12:09 AM
NormanB

Bikes: single speed bridgestone bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lol yeah your right. Anyway the BB cable guide is also something that caught my attention on this. I hope anyone can shed some light
Old 04-20-21, 12:42 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
So most ~80's Pinarellos have 'Treviso' on the seat tube, but this isn't an indication of model, it's just where they were made.

However, there was a Treviso model. See if you can make out any ghost decals on the top tube near the head tube end.

Typically a Treviso wouldn't have internal cable routing, but they do pop up from time to time. Also, a Treviso would typically have a chainstay bridge, but I think they started to lose them as the 80's wound up.

The Pinarello stamped dropouts and fork tips, along with the BB shell suggest post '87, I'd even go as far as saying '89.

The serial number doesn't really fit the known formats, so I'm wondering if this is a custom job of some description. The BB shell suggests a Gavia or Veneto model (I think) but other details don't support that.

See if there are any internal helical reinforcements to the bottom of the seat tube - this would indicate SLX tubing.

I don't think it's a Montello because there entire rear triangle would typically be chrome, but like everything Pinarello, there are always exceptions.

Might need to do some more research on this one...

Edit: even the brake bridge is giving me a headache - I can't find a model that used that type!

The shape of the missing paint on the head tube suggests the 'old' badge/decal, but by 1989 I thought it would be the stripy decal. Aaaargh!

Last edited by P!N20; 04-20-21 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 12:43 AM
Distanc3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one in pearl white and it's one smooth ride.
Old 04-20-21, 01:08 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
supposedly an ‘85. enjoyable ride regardless. apologies for the dirt.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-20-21 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 05:36 AM
P!N20

Originally Posted by ooga-booga

I've never seen Pinarello do the internal cable routing like that - it's usually on top with just a simple projecting tube. I wonder if the top tube has been replaced somewhere along the line? What's the serial number? Decals aren't original, I'm sure you know that - mainly because they're still there!
Old 04-20-21, 07:14 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
So most ~80's Pinarellos have 'Treviso' on the seat tube, but this isn't an indication of model, it's just where they were made.

However, there was a Treviso model. See if you can make out any ghost decals on the top tube near the head tube end.

Typically a Treviso wouldn't have internal cable routing, but they do pop up from time to time. Also, a Treviso would typically have a chainstay bridge, but I think they started to lose them as the 80's wound up.

The Pinarello stamped dropouts and fork tips, along with the BB shell suggest post '87, I'd even go as far as saying '89.

The serial number doesn't really fit the known formats, so I'm wondering if this is a custom job of some description. The BB shell suggests a Gavia or Veneto model (I think) but other details don't support that.

See if there are any internal helical reinforcements to the bottom of the seat tube - this would indicate SLX tubing.

I don't think it's a Montello because there entire rear triangle would typically be chrome, but like everything Pinarello, there are always exceptions.

Might need to do some more research on this one...

Edit: even the brake bridge is giving me a headache - I can't find a model that used that type!

The shape of the missing paint on the head tube suggests the 'old' badge/decal, but by 1989 I thought it would be the stripy decal. Aaaargh!
It's difficult because it's almost like there's one of three possible red herrings here. Either the (a) BB shell or (b) the top tube cable routing and dropout/ends, or (c) the head badge. Clearly a Pinarello though.

Through-TT cable routing started in '86 on the Montello only, and continued on the Montello only until around around '90 IIRC. Likewise the Pinarello-stamped DO and fork ends.
They started using the strip of steel for cable guidance under the BB in the '70s, with at least a couple years overlap of that headbadge shape.
Head badge in the shape of that void stopped, what, '86ish?

I'd go with the path of least resistance here. Since we know this is likely not pre-70s due to the TT routing and stamped ends/DO, I'd focus on the BB shell. When did they stop using that setup for cable guidance? That may put you in the right arena..

I'm going to recommend the head badge is the potential herring, if anything, but even that may be legit.

Old 04-20-21, 07:36 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I don't question the OPS bike being a Pinarello. I do question the white one. Other than the cutout on the bottom HT lug, there isn't any clear identification of it being a Pinarello. I have a questionable Veneto with very few markings but it does have GPT on the FD mount and mimics other Pinarello features.

If the white one is really a Pinarello, it would be at the bottom of the line up, if it even got that far down.
Old 04-20-21, 11:19 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I don't doubt it's a Pinarello. But would probably be lower, like an Italia, Asolo, Treviso or something. Looks like this 1991 bike (below) had the same shaped headbadge sticker, bb shell, Pinarello dropouts. But OP's is not this model. However, this shows that - at least by 1991 - this style of shell was being used.

https://steel-vintage.com/pinarello-...ke-1991-detail

Old 04-20-21, 11:53 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Mine has the internal routing on the toptube.

Old 04-20-21, 12:16 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I don't question the OPS bike being a Pinarello. I do question the white one. Other than the cutout on the bottom HT lug, there isn't any clear identification of it being a Pinarello. I have a questionable Veneto with very few markings but it does have GPT on the FD mount and mimics other Pinarello features.

If the white one is really a Pinarello, it would be at the bottom of the line up, if it even got that far down.
The white bike pictured does have the typical flower shaped cutouts on the lugs, as seen on most Pinarellos......
The absence of Pinarello pantographs on the BB, fork crown and seat stay caps and chrome fork and stays might mean it's a lower to mid level model. I suspect it might have "Pinarello" stamped on its dropouts.

Last edited by Chombi1; 04-20-21 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 10:22 AM
gkamieneski

Here's the BB on my Gavia.

Old 04-21-21, 10:49 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
gkamieneski Hard to argue that!

I forgot about the DO being Pinarello on the Veneto.

P1020862 on Flickr
P1020843 on Flickr
P1020860 on Flickr
P1020897 on Flickr

Maybe I should start a thread on this one and not hyjack this one\!

Last edited by SJX426; 04-21-21 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 05:29 PM
P!N20

This Treviso has similar features to the OP's: BB shell, top tube routing, no chainstay bridge and chrome DS chainstay. Although the dropouts aren't stamped 'Pinarello'. If we ignore the 'x' in the OP's serial number, the formats are the same - X###. Supposedly from 1992.

https://pezcyclingnews.com/amp/reade...vuelta-winner/
Old 04-26-21, 05:47 PM
gkamieneski

It's interesting that sometimes the dropouts are Campagnolo, sometimes pantographed Pinarello. I suspect the same with things like the seat post binder bolt. My Gavia has a Pinarello bolt, but my replacement bolt is Campagnolo.