Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Conversion Question

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Conversion Question

Old 10-11-09, 08:18 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conversion Question

I have an 89 Nishiki Custom Sport that I am converting to SS. It has 27 1 1/4 wheels...the rear wheel has a casette. I was planning on using a chain whip and busting the cogs apart, then using the desired cog from the set...

Is that possible? If so do I just need to use spacers to get a straight chain line? Also do you have to have a SS chain or can you use a multi-gear chain?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by metalchef87; 10-11-09 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Miss Print
Old 10-11-09, 09:14 PM
TypicalCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a new rear wheel or https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

And I'll say this before any of the other *******s on this forum can...try using the search feature.

Have fun.
Old 10-12-09, 03:58 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done some searching, but still can not find my answer. I do not have the money at the moment to buy a whole new wheel, but was going to try to do a SS on the cheap. Is there not any way to convert a cassette wheel to being a SS? There is a local co-op that I am stopping at this evening, if they have a freewheel style wheel...will that work for converting?

Sorry for "dumb" questions, but I'd like to do this right and not mess something up.