Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek dual sport gen 5 or specialized sirrus x

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 08:53 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I have been riding trek fx sport (2021) and while I enjoy the bike, it gives me back trouble after my rides. I’m considering getting something more upright (but not trek verve) in hopes that my back pain goes away.

is the dual sport gen 5 more upright or sirrus x ?
on paper DS gen 5 is , compared to sirrus x 1,2,3, but sirrus x 4 is more upright than DS gen 4 based on stack and reach measurements. Has anyone had experience with both ?
Old 04-29-24, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked 4,101 Times in 2,737 Posts
Sirrus X 4.0 would be my go to I love the color which has zero bearing on anything but more importantly it is standard thru-axle wheels both front and rear. That means upgrading is easier rather than one being a QR and the other being a thru-axle (thankfully rather than their "thru skew") and it is 11 speed.

However the Trek does come with wider tires out of the box but you could get a nice 650B wheel set for the Specialized and run wider tires pretty easily. My Vado SL has 650x50 tires and is excellent.

Overall I like the look of the Specialized better but that Trek isn't as bad compared to older DS' I have seen which I hated.

In terms of back pain, I would look at something maybe like the Velo Orange Crazy Bar which gives you some sweep back and a position where your hands might be on a road bike (ish) so it gets you a bit more upright but also gives you a position to stretch out a bit. I know my back tends to like those bars as I have essentially 3 of them though one is a Koga Denham bar and the other is a Surly Moloko Bar (but the sweep back is identical or nearly so) 34˚ seems to be pretty optimal for sweep back more and it doesn't feel as good and less is not as bad.

However it is possible maybe a fitter could really help you get more comfortable on your current bike and help you choose your new bike. One can really never have too many bikes (at least to a point)
Old 04-29-24, 09:19 PM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sirrus X 4.0 would be my go to I love the color which has zero bearing on anything but more importantly it is standard thru-axle wheels both front and rear. That means upgrading is easier rather than one being a QR and the other being a thru-axle (thankfully rather than their "thru skew") and it is 11 speed.

However the Trek does come with wider tires out of the box but you could get a nice 650B wheel set for the Specialized and run wider tires pretty easily. My Vado SL has 650x50 tires and is excellent.

Overall I like the look of the Specialized better but that Trek isn't as bad compared to older DS' I have seen which I hated.

In terms of back pain, I would look at something maybe like the Velo Orange Crazy Bar which gives you some sweep back and a position where your hands might be on a road bike (ish) so it gets you a bit more upright but also gives you a position to stretch out a bit. I know my back tends to like those bars as I have essentially 3 of them though one is a Koga Denham bar and the other is a Surly Moloko Bar (but the sweep back is identical or nearly so) 34˚ seems to be pretty optimal for sweep back more and it doesn't feel as good and less is not as bad.

However it is possible maybe a fitter could really help you get more comfortable on your current bike and help you choose your new bike. One can really never have too many bikes (at least to a point)
I done lot of research and understand bike fit pretty well. Also I have no pain while riding the bike , it’s when I’m done riding .
I did ride sirrus x 4.0 year ago and recently dual sport gen 5. I remember sirrus x 4.0 being more playful bike and about same upright med
Old 04-30-24, 07:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6302 Post(s)
Liked 4,899 Times in 3,374 Posts
You need to put those bikes next to each other and then stand back to the side and look at them. There is quite a bit of difference in the Sirrus and the Dual Sport for the position given in the same size. If you have your FX with you, put that with them two. Then you'll know how much difference from that if you compare your contact points on the bikes (butt & hands and then BB center).

Sirrus in the same size should be the higher more upright position. But coming from your FX which is lower and more aggressive than the other two, then you may prefer the more in between the two position the Dual Sport gives.

You can try a size down or up of each. Larger size will give you less saddle to bar drop, but might stretch you out a little more. Smaller size will do the opposite. Be aware of things that change on the bike as size changes. Such as bar width and crank length
Old 04-30-24, 05:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I done lot of research and understand bike fit pretty well. Also I have no pain while riding the bike , it’s when I’m done riding .
I did ride sirrus x 4.0 year ago and recently dual sport gen 5. I remember sirrus x 4.0 being more playful bike and about same upright med
That could still have a lot to do with position and fit on the bike and is still worth getting a fit over. You could also try some stretching which may help a bit.

The only reason for the Trek is wider tires and the bag integration but I am personally fine with my Oveja Negra frame bag with straps it doesn't take a long long time to install.
Old 04-30-24, 05:46 PM
Awesomeguy

That could still have a lot to do with position and fit on the bike and is still worth getting a fit over. You could also try some stretching which may help a bit.

The only reason for the Trek is wider tires and the bag integration but I am personally fine with my Oveja Negra frame bag with straps it doesn't take a long long time to install.
so you are saying to get a professional bike fit ?
Old 04-30-24, 09:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

so you are saying to get a professional bike fit ?
Precisely! It can do wonders for your comfort on the bike and for dealing with pain off the bike. You want to find someone who does dynamic fit meaning they have you on a bike they can adjust in real time and track your motions and really get in depth. Also a good fitter will know some sports medicine and a lot about bikes and such so it can be quite a good experience. My fit happened to be Retül but I know there are others,

The problem is there is a stigma built around fitting that it is only for those who race but that is beyond the case. Fitting is designed to optimize your position on your bike. For someone racing it is probably to get the most comfortable aerodynamic position and trying to eek out every last little bit of performance but for really everyone it is about getting someone comfortable on the bike. Everyone's fit will be different but in the end it is trying to get comfortable on the bike and make you be able to ride it better.

I remember getting mine and I felt relatively comfortable before but after it felt like a rocket ship because I felt really good on it. I like being comfortable and I like to be more upright and more so now but I remember my first ride after the fit and I was racing up a hill I would normally not have done so on I just felt really good everything was perfect fit wise and the pedal extensions helped and the insoles were excellent it just improved things so much.
Old 04-30-24, 09:37 PM
Awesomeguy

Precisely! It can do wonders for your comfort on the bike and for dealing with pain off the bike. You want to find someone who does dynamic fit meaning they have you on a bike they can adjust in real time and track your motions and really get in depth. Also a good fitter will know some sports medicine and a lot about bikes and such so it can be quite a good experience. My fit happened to be Retül but I know there are others,

I
so this bike , it is not my bike but rather a stationary adjustable bike ? Also will that tell me about my current bike which is a hybrid and possibly a road or gravel bike if I may want to in the future ? Does it carry over to different types of bikes ?
Old 04-30-24, 09:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

so this bike , it is not my bike but rather a stationary adjustable bike ? Also will that tell me about my current bike which is a hybrid and possibly a road or gravel bike if I may want to in the future ? Does it carry over to different types of bikes ?
So it is a stationary bike that is fully adjustable so what your fitter will do is set the fit bike up to your current bike settings and adjust from there.

This is what is looks like (with a person on it but I didn't easily find a better photo but you can see the adjustment dials and such. It is really quite a neat machine:
https://www.balancephysio.com/wp-con...dude1-copy.jpg

Your fitter will put the correct bars on there and easy peasy. For other bikes they can take the numbers and put it towards other bikes as well as much as possible usually there is a fee for other bikes set up but that varies fitter to fitter. However a road to a mountain bike would be a different fit but if you let your fitter know I am sure they can make some accommodations and get you closer.