Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 09:31 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,781 Times in 903 Posts
Took the Seven out for a quick spin late Thursday afternoon, pleased that the Sun continued to shine. It was a jolly ride. Lots of company on the Minuteman, but nothing too much.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-10-24, 07:38 PM
rholland1951

Late Friday afternoon, I had a quick spin, lickety-split, up the Mystic Valley Parkway and along the Eastern shore of the Mystic Lakes. A series of quiet scenes prevailed there, a few canoes or something similar, a few people fishing, and a fair number of people on road bikes. I was rolling on the Nobilette, which fit right in.

I have a fixed idea that the folks I see fishing are fishing for the table, and dinner is at stake. I'm not quite sure why I believe that.

It was a pleasure to ride the Nobilette, as always, but airing up the 28mm tires seemed to point towards a fault in my floor pump. Something to investigate.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-11-24, 06:13 PM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Waltham MCRT

Don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but Waltham has opened up a couple miles worth of the MCRT that connects to the Weston section. This picture is of the easternmost part currently open (Middlesex Rd. is across from the Petco parking lot off Main St.). Between the Waltham and Weston paved parts there's still some civilized single track with a couple old railroad bridges, but nothing the minivelo can't handle. Anyway, a big improvement over other ways of getting through Waltham to the west.
Likes For Trocadile:
Old 05-18-24, 10:02 PM
rholland1951

I returned from California Friday, decided Saturday's forecast looked likely, and took the Sam Hillborne for a ride East.

This was yet another iteration of the hills-and-traffic drill through well-known roads in East Arlington, West Medford, Malden, Melrose, and Stoneham, with an option on a few other conurbations should the spirit dictate. The hills are always with us, but the traffic varies a good deal. Today things were a bit more congested than usual, and featured chartered shuttle buses substituting for Orange Line trains while the MBTA did some needed maintenance. The shuttle buses were a striking shade of yellow. Here's one:

While I started encountering a light drizzle in Medford, early in the day, I didn't run into an honest rain shower until near the end of the day. This is not a complaint. Even that was relatively gentle in the scheme of things, and the Sam Hillborne and its Barlow Pass Extralight all-road tires and Paul cantilever brakes handled the mild change of conditions with aplomb..

Good to be back on the bike after a week away.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-19-24 at 07:14 AM.
Likes For rholland1951: