Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for recommendations

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 08:58 AM
ahanna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some advice on my first bike purchase. In the past I have owned a couple of cheaper bikes from Target/Walmart that didn't hold up so well. I weigh 330lbs. and am looking for a good bike that can withstand my weight. I'm looking to spend up to $1000 and need help. Any suggestions??
Old 06-30-10, 09:21 AM
markdavid570

Bikes: Giant FCR 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $1000 you should definitely be able to find something you'll like and that can support you. Depending on the type of riding you're planning to do, you'll hear different suggestions on different types of bikes (road, hybrid, moutain bike with road tires) and different types of frame materials (carbon, aluminum, steel). I think the best thing you can do at this point is check out some local shops if you have them, and see who you feel most comfortable working with. A good relationship with a shop is so important in my opinion. Then you'll see what bikes they have available and they can make a better recommendation. In my case, I was set on buying a Cannondale CAAD9 a little over a year ago. I wasn't crazy about the shop though. I found another local shop that got so many great recommendations, so I went there. I was thinking about buying a Trek, but then ended up with a Giant. The main guy there opened his own separate branch and exclusively sells Giant. Since his new shop is in the town where I live, I plan to buy another Giant from his shop.

I guess my point is that most manufacturers will have options available to you, so finding a shop to work with is probably the best first step. From there you'll get a better idea of what's available and what you like.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-10, 09:33 AM
ahanna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks for the tip! I called a local shop and will be going there today after work. From what I've collected so far I'll be looking for a hybrid bike.
Old 06-30-10, 10:24 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ahanna
Great, thanks for the tip! I called a local shop and will be going there today after work. From what I've collected so far I'll be looking for a hybrid bike.
A hybrid is a good starting point, but realise that if you find you enjoy riding, that it will not be your last bicycle, in fact most of us end up with a herd, because bicycles need to be considered like tools, different riding style, different tool. A hybrid is good though, until you determine what kind of riding it is that gets you out there. If you find yourself cheering the odometer going around on the road, then your next bike ends up with drop bars, tall gears and skinny tires. On the other hand, if you find yourself liking off road, it may be a full suspension mountain bike with a long travel fork, goat like gearing and fat, tubeless, low pressure tires.

The idea though, is to buy a quality bicycle, the major bike shop brands are all pretty much equal on quality in a price range now. A suggestion though, count on the extras you will need, spare tube, tire levers, pump, patches, a small under seat bag to hold those items, Helmet, gloves, shorts (yes do yourself a favour and get a couple of pair of bike shorts), this should all be counted on out of your budget. It's not uncommon to find, in the first year, you spend again what you did on your bike, for stuff that goes with it. I suggest that you get a bicycle computer so you can track your progress, speed isn't important, but distance is. Knowing that you did 5 miles the first week and 10 miles the second, encourages you to keep going.
Old 06-30-10, 01:43 PM
ahanna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Wog, right now just looking for something that will support my size that I can ride around on the sidewalks as well as the trails when I go trout fishing in the spring.
Old 06-30-10, 01:53 PM
markdavid570

Bikes: Giant FCR 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good call on the hybrid. That's what I did...but...of course...now I really want a road bike! That being said, I'm glad I started on my Giant because I feel that it was a good "introduction" to cycling. The extras are also important to consider.
Old 06-30-10, 02:11 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wog has good advice. If your prepared to spend 1000 bucks, look at spending 700 on the bike. A helmet is gonna be around $40, a good kryptonite lock and chain $80 (you may not plan to do much riding to destinations but it's nice to have the option to do so safely. Bike shorts which can get really pricey, especially at bike shops and ordering online is a crap shoot for getting proper size.

I have a giant rapid 3 flat bar road bike that I sing it's praises to everyone about. I paid $540 for it, it's got a comfortable geometry like a lot of hybrid bikes, however it's not weighted down with a bunch of other crap and it has a pretty wide gear range with it's triple chainring upfront. I also agree with the sentiments about wanting other bikes for other riding. Got my rapid in february, I'm already working on building up an old vintage road bike with drop bars!
Old 06-30-10, 02:57 PM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
I think probably one thing I've noticed after hanging out here for a long time is that a lot of newer riders start out of with some kind of hybrid or mountain type looking bike with front shocks and knobby tires and then ride exclusively in the road.

If they catch the bike fever you'll usually find them replacing that bike pretty early on. Certainly not knocking it, it just seems like an unnecessary step. (And realize that I bought a $200 Schwinn Volare road bike and then bought a Trek 1.5 shortly after).

I'd think long and hard about the mission I expected from the bike. I imagine right now it's "peddle and lose weight". And that's awesome.........but.........will you ride it to work? Will you need to carry a change of clothes? Do you want to ride upright and relaxed or do you want a road bike?

Will you ever consider doing a Triathlon or anything like that?

Anyway before you buy try to get one step ahead of yourself. I bought that Trek Road bike and then kinda quickly realized that most of my riding was before work in the morning and to another nearby base to check the work mail everyday. I needed a hauler more than a street rod. Of course I rode long on the weekends so I bought 2 bikes, then 3, and now have like 8. Stupid, I know but I actually ride them all.

John
Old 06-30-10, 03:21 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 54cm Surly Long Haul Trucker I need to get rid of, with Chris King headset and some other nice goodies (like racks, fenders, a Sugino mountain triple etc), I built it up myself and it is nicer than the stock build on the complete bike. I'd be willing to let it go for $700 plus you pay for shipping. Site admin can vouch for my trustworthiness, (plus he knows my name and where I live.) If interested, PM me and I'll tell you more.
Old 06-30-10, 03:22 PM
bamacrazy 

Bikes: 05 Specialized Hardrock Pro, 2000 Bianchi Axis, 2015 All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly CrossCheck cyclocross or Karate Monkey 29er.