Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

health insurance underwriting

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

health insurance underwriting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 11:44 AM
austropithicus

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Okay all you regulars, let's just settle down. This topic is sucking in all the youngsters from over in the P&R forum. And they're not like us. They still know it all.
Yeah, I should leave. See you in four years.

Old 02-01-09, 11:45 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by austropithicus
If you live that long.
Old 02-01-09, 11:51 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
So this topic only affects those over 50. Hardly.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-01-09, 12:07 PM
austropithicus

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If you live that long.
Zing!!!

Old 02-01-09, 12:11 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aha, maybe that's why I am so flippant. I have no savings so I have nothing to lose.

You'ld be suprised what you stand to lose to the Health Care System. They will leagally deduct from your future wages. They will take your 401K. They will take your annuity. They will take your life.

The rare couple who dies healthy are the fortunate ones, the rest of us Americans are doomed to selfishly metered Health Care and financial ruin.
Old 02-01-09, 12:42 PM
cyclezealot

^^... forgetting some big ifs.. Many don't qualify due to pre-existing conditions. 2. Cancellation policies. They'll find a way. Undisclosed conditions. Won't do much good for many anyway.. They'll call treatments experimental, what ever it takes to get out of their obligations and you're stuck . So , why waste your money. You might very well end up bankrupt anyway.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-01-09, 01:04 PM
austropithicus

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
So , why waste your money. You might very well end up bankrupt anyway.
That's the conclusion I have come to.

Old 02-01-09, 01:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

So , why waste your money. You might very well end up bankrupt anyway.
Yes, but then again, you might not.
Old 02-01-09, 01:28 PM
austropithicus

The number I have heard is 75% of those who experience a major medical expense and have health insurance file bankruptcy anyway. Sorry I don't have a link so maybe it's just hearsay. Also, what would be considered a major medical expense?

Old 02-01-09, 01:58 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to those of you who want to discuss this topic in a meaningful way for sticking around after the scolding, even if you are younger and P&R are important to you. These are the kind of discussions that evoke change, no matter how slowly. Avoidance of difficulty never yields anything.
Old 02-01-09, 02:24 PM
cyclezealot

1200 dollars a month. I'd be writing bad checks before I know it. But, then one does not have to worry about health insurance in jail .?

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-01-09, 03:04 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so the decision is easy: jail or Europe. I know which one I'm taking.

For the time-being, though, my premiums for individual coverage are $185/month with a $500 deductible. That's not bad, but if I were to get sick or have an accident, the premiums would go way up. In fact, I'm hesitant to file claims for my shrink visits because that could hike the premiums. So actually, my out of pocket expenses are much higher than my premiums + deductible because I don't claim my main health care costs.

Cyclezealot, good to know about the retirement visa. Luckily, I don't have to worry about it because I'm an EU citizen, but it's still good to know that it exists for others.
Old 02-01-09, 03:48 PM
Retro Grouch 

The number I have heard is 75% of those who experience a major medical expense and have health insurance file bankruptcy anyway. Sorry I don't have a link so maybe it's just hearsay. Also, what would be considered a major medical expense?
Yeah, that percentage sounds way high to me. I'm questionning how valid it is but I don't have any facts. I'm thinking that if 75% was factual I would have heard it from multiple sources.
Old 02-01-09, 03:55 PM
cyclezealot

Not familiar with the 75% value. I think many of us know about 1/2 of bankruptcies are caused by medical bills.

Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds

February 3, 2005
Illness and medical bills caused half of the 1,458,000 personal bankruptcies in 2001, according to a study published by the journal Health Affairs.
The study estimates that medical bankruptcies affect about 2 million Americans annually -- counting debtors and their dependents, including about 700,000 children.
Surprisingly, most of those bankrupted by illness had health insurance
. More than three-quarters were insured at the start of the bankrupting illness. However, 38 percent had lost coverage at least temporarily by the time they filed for bankruptcy.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...tcy_study.html

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-01-09, 04:01 PM
cyclezealot

^.. subtract 38 % from 100 , you come close to Austo's 75 % value. Meaning. that 62% still had coverage and still went bankrupt.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-01-09, 04:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Surprisingly, most of those bankrupted by illness had health insurance
. More than three-quarters were insured at the start of the bankrupting illness. However, 38 percent had lost coverage at least temporarily by the time they filed for bankruptcy.
75% of the people who file bankruptcy had health insurance is a lot different from saying that 75% of people with both insurance and significant medical expenses file bankruptcy anyway.
Old 02-01-09, 04:23 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Austro, don't leave. I didn't mean it personally. I enjoy your banter, even when we're on the same side.
Old 02-01-09, 04:25 PM
cyclezealot

Just trying to find the closest parallel factoid approaching the 75 percent value. Still, says, having insurance does not = financial security.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-01-09, 04:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Still, says, having insurance does not = financial security.
Yeah, like I indicated in one of the earlier posts, if you have a heart attack you can run up $100,000 in medical costs real fast. An insurance program that pays 80% still leaves you with a $20,000 tab and, you're probably not earning money during the time that you're hospitalized. That probably explains the 38% drop in coverage between the time that people get sick and the time they file for bankruptcy. They're strapped for cash and figure out that they're screwed anyway. So, once the insurance company pays out it's 80%, they dump 'em.

The health insurance program that you paid for probably covers the hospital's needs more than it helps you.
Old 02-01-09, 07:40 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Interesting discussion. Too many divisive statements that tend to get people arguing about things they basically agree on, but that is the nature of internet discussions.

I am no fan of or apologist for the current medical support system in the USA, but I am fortunate enough to have been in a situation where it has basically worked well for me. I work for a large corporation with a good benefits package including good medical insurance. I pay part of the cost of my insurance and I guess you could say I pay for the rest of it in lieu of increased salary I could receive if my employer was not paying for it.

When I learned that I had throat cancer last summer, the first thing the hospitals, doctors and treatment facilities did was to check my insurance. With my policy from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, I was ushered to the front of the line and given my choice of the best treatment options available. I have had to pay copays and percentages of various parts of my treatment choices and I continue to do so. I will be paying for quite a while. It has not been cheap, but I have been amazed at the amounts that are being written off of the initial charges per agreement with the insurer. That's some kind of racket, I'm sure.
I can't say for sure that this illness won't end up bankrupting me, but I don't think it will. I do know that I will have a hard time getting insurance from another source in the future unless some changes are made. I am counting on my elected officials to make those changes. Everyone needs to be covered. I'm not smart enough to know how the system needs to be structured or paid for, but I know enough to know that anyone who suggests that I would have been better off without the coverage I have is wrong at best and likely much more ignorant than they think of themselves.

The medical vacation option may have some appeal, but I don't see how I could have maintained a family, a job and a life while traipsing off to Europe for several months of treatments. We need quality and affordable medical care for everyone and we need it here, not overseas. There is much room for improvement. In fact there is dire need for improvement.

I do agree that there are limits to what we should expect to be able to do to try to keep ourselves alive. At some point we have to face our mortality and not waste all our time, effort and resources on diminishing returns. My own situation could turn into such a scenario if we have not been successful in making my disease go away for good. But it has been worth the struggle so far and more to come if need be.
Old 02-01-09, 07:52 PM
cyclezealot

We did not go trapsing off to the EU. We live here much of the year.. Why are we here. In part, because our Blue Cross was an affiliated HMO. I assure you , you don't go to the front of the line , with an HMO.. While they argue whose budget is to pay for a given treatment, you might die. Our comparions, being here and there. I'd like to see a survey of Americans who have experienced medical systems abroad. It'd be interesting.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-01-09, 08:43 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
.. Tulip. I meant maybe a medical vacation just might save an American from becoming homeless. Even without insurance. You'll of course have to pay out of pocket costs. But, that will be like 1/10 of US costs. Critics here say the system is so expensive , because its universal. If so, how come we find medical services here so cheap.?. Found out yesterday , why we feel doctor's appointments are so thorough.. By law, doctors must spend 20 minutes with a patient. They must give you what you pay for. GP's fees are limited to 22 euros for an office visit. The SAMU doctor will make a house call , for the uninsured , ( if necessary !) for 45 euros. Of course, for those on the national plan. 3 euros. A House call.!. I understand if you have a retirement visa, you'll eventually qualify for the national plan. Retirement visas are not impossible to receive, with persistence. You must prove financial independence.
What we never see is where the money for all of that comes from. It would be nice to see the tax sources laid out. If companies that provide medical coverage for their employees could save money by having a national plan, then I think those companies would be lobbying hard for it. I'm wondering if the companies would still have to pay about the same in the form of a tax, instead of to the insurance company. I've never seen an actual breakdown of sources of money. Heck those 160 Euros a month is less than I pay every two weeks for my share of my HMO.
Old 02-01-09, 09:36 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some of the decisions which prolong the dying process and cost a lot of health-care money for not much benefit are made by the patient. Others are made by the family members. If you have agreed or disagreed with something you read in this thread, do your family a favor.

Talk about your wishes. Look into what documents are used to record these wishes in your state and country. Make sure that multiple family members know what your wishes are, if you are not able to make those decisions.

The Framingham Risk Score is about the best predictor of risk of heart attack. Half of all heart attacks occur in people who have no risk factors and 20% in people with no major risk factors.

Esther

Originally Posted by John E
Spot-on, Denver.
Bad things sometimes do happen to good people, and that is why all of us need at least some sort of high-deductible catastrophic medical insurance. The flip side is that .....
Old 02-01-09, 10:04 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The participants in this thread are, I'm sure, far from a representative sample of all Americans, but I think there seems to be general agreement that something needs to be done on the national level to provide fair access to health care for everyone in our country. The tone of this discussion is much different from discussions of health care options that happened 8-10 years ago. I think we've all been stung, in one way or another, by the perceptions of health care, our "rights" to it, and health care practices in past decade. The fear that any of us will be caught up in the current system and become a victim of it is palpable. This discussion, in itself, is progress I think.
Old 02-01-09, 10:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Rober
The participants in this thread are, I'm sure, far from a representative sample of all Americans, but I think there seems to be general agreement that something needs to be done on the national level to provide fair access to health care for everyone in our country. The tone of this discussion is much different from discussions of health care options that happened 8-10 years ago. I think we've all been stung, in one way or another, by the perceptions of health care, our "rights" to it, and health care practices in past decade. The fear that any of us will be caught up in the current system and become a victim of it is palpable. This discussion, in itself, is progress I think.
I agree but I doubt it'll happen for at least another 4 years. Obama's plan calls for making universal insurance coverage mandatory. I think that is just going to perpetuate the problem. Insurance isn't the solution, insurance is the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.