Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Attitudes towards older folks - rant

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Attitudes towards older folks - rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 06:17 AM
Billy Bones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Coupla' observations:

1. Concern over other's opinions places other people in control of ones emotional state. Forget it. "Wrinkles" just happen to be our particular burden; there are many burdens that are much worse.

2. Cultural change only happens when we become the change we desire (as the skinny chap in a loincloth said). Our example is the only coin of exchange in this process. A fit, clear-eyed 60-something purposefully engaged in living is a powerful image.

Get on the bike, get hooked up with good people, focus on the beauty, and allow others their views.
Old 05-04-09, 07:24 AM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
Coupla' observations:

1. Concern over other's opinions places other people in control of ones emotional state. Forget it. "Wrinkles" just happen to be our particular burden; there are many burdens that are much worse.

Cultural change only happens when we become the change we desire (as the skinny chap in a loincloth said). Our example is the only coin of exchange in this process. A fit, clear-eyed 60-something purposefully engaged in living is a powerful image.

Get on the bike, get hooked up with good people, focus on the beauty, and allow others their views.

Yes. Never better said.

I've long since given up listening to, let alone believing, what others have to say to or about me. i simply don't care. When I run into someone who regards age as victimization (by what, nature?), or as a disability to heroically tolerate, I turn off my ears, smile, and get back on my bike.
Old 05-04-09, 07:32 AM
borgagain
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rober
[/COLOR]
I've long since given up listening to, let alone believing, what others have to say to or about me. i simply don't care.
Which should be a natural part of growing older.
Old 05-04-09, 08:01 AM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by borgagain
Which should be a natural part of growing older.
One of the underrated treasures of age...
Old 05-04-09, 01:15 PM
Blanchje

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And of course none of us were condensending toward our elders in any way shape or form when we were young right? It's the natural order as the young lion looks to take over for the old lion. In all honesty the young lion has nothing to gain by respecting the old lion. His destiny is to replace us. Ours to to hold him off as long as we can.

Actually, in the OP it seemed to me that the young woman was paying a compliment. 'Excercise is important. Good for you." The proper response would be "You are right it is. What are you doing for dinner tonight...?"
Old 05-04-09, 01:31 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blanchje
And of course none of us were condensending toward our elders in any way shape or form when we were young right? It's the natural order as the young lion looks to take over for the old lion. In all honesty the young lion has nothing to gain by respecting the old lion. His destiny is to replace us. Ours to to hold him off as long as we can.

Actually, in the OP it seemed to me that the young woman was paying a compliment. 'Excercise is important. Good for you." The proper response would be "You are right it is. What are you doing for dinner tonight...?"
Your "young lion / old lion" metaphor would make sense if we were lions, but we're not. There are numerous cultures around the world where older people are respected and highly valued by younger folks. Indeed, there was a time in western civilization when older folks were highly respected and regarded as valuable members of the society. I know that in the community in which I grew up older family members were held in high regard, and one was always taught to "respect one's elders". Growing up I always looked at really old folks (90+) in awe. They were doing something right to live that long, and I damn sure wanted to know what it was. My great grandmother lived to be 102. She was 78 years old when I was born. The entire time I knew her she was old. Yet, she climbed step ladders to take down her curtains and wash them in a ringer washer twice a year; baked in a coal fired oven, heater her house with a coal furnace that she kept, etc. She was active, vital, and alive until the very end. Today, my sons (21 & 25) have a great deal of respect for my father (in his mid 80s), because he is alive, vital and engaged in life. I don't see any indication that they want to take over from him. Rather, I see them seeking to learn from the lifetime of experience and knowledge he has gained.
Old 05-04-09, 03:43 PM
cyclehen
too old for bike shorts?

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
Concern over other's opinions places other people in control of ones emotional state. Forget it.
You married?
Old 05-04-09, 04:11 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, I am unsubscribing from this thread I started with what I thought was a pretty harmless question:

"My problem is, I can't think of a good response. I'd like to say, "I've got another 30 miles to go, would you like to join me?" or something like that, but by the time I think of it, it is too late.

OTOH, I could just pass and say "Thank you!" and be on my way, or just say nothing, what is what I did today.

Any bright ideas?"

Would someone let me know when they stop beating me up?

Sheesh!

For those of you who read the thread, way back I resolved this in my mind:

"I've been thinking about this a bit, and now, almost 24 hours later, I've decided I will say something like:

"Oh yes, exercise is so important. I particularly enjoy our 40 mile rides. Do you bicycle? I lead group rides. Please join us sometime."

In an absolutely non-condescending and friendly, open, sincere manner."

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-04-09 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 04:41 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does one unsubscribe to a thread?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-04-09, 06:19 PM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclehen
You married?
Yeah, but I'm open to new experiences. Whatcha' got in mind?
Old 05-05-09, 06:59 AM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey,

Would someone let me know when they stop beating me up?

.."
You could start a thread asking for bright ideas to deal with older people who act condescendingly towards you.

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 05-05-09 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-05-09, 08:24 AM
MKR

Bikes: 1999 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
How does one unsubscribe to a thread?
User Control Panel->Subscriptions (left side)->tick the box->Delete
Old 05-05-09, 08:30 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
In pleasant conversatiom, my neighbor asked what I was doing, and I said I was riding a few miles. Immediately, the younger lady piped in, with a voice like she was talking to a child, saying something like, "Oh, exercise is so good for you. It's important to keep it up!" - directly implying that I was old and it was nice that I was getting a little bit of exercise.
"Yes, it IS very important. Would you like to join me, since the seat of your chair obviously is showing a need to be wider?"