Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Directions needed in Seattle

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 07:38 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

I had thought to post this in the forum dedicated to different areas of the country but thought I would reach more folks here.
As we plan our cross Canada tour we will take Amtrak to Seattle then be heading south. What we are looking for is a good route through the city from the Amtrak station to the Vashon Island ferry.
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-04-17, 09:48 AM
nstrav10

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Motobecane Vent Noir, 2006 Trek 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/King...47.5232072!3e1

This is the route I would take. I haven't ridden it yet but I have walked it and it is fine. It is a bit industrial around the docks before hitting the trail over the West Seattle Bridge but nothing to worry about. You'll be on a dedicated path until you hit West Seattle and then there should be bike lanes all the way down to the
Fauntleroy Ferry over to Vashon. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm still new out here (only have lived on Vashon or in Washington State for that matter since last July) but I'd be happy to help!
Old 02-04-17, 10:57 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Thanks!!! I will put this into Ride With GPS and then on to our Garmin.
Old 02-04-17, 10:57 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would follow the route that they said above to West Seattle but would head directly west to Beach Dr SW and follow that to the ferry instead of weaving through the neighborhoods. Much better ride IMO when I've done it.
Old 02-04-17, 11:19 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
My parents live on Vashon and I have done this basic ride tens of times. The route suggested above in Google is basically what I do. The alternative route circling around W. Seattle is absolutely gorgeous with beautiful views of Seattle (much of it on dedicated, but busy, bikeway), but it is MUCH longer so you at least an extra hour or so if you decide to do this. You can go all the way through Lincoln Park next to the water on bike path if you want, but some of it is hardpacked limestone rather than paved.

Where are you going post Vashon? I often ride to Gig Harbor via Southworth and have a good route.

- Mark
Old 02-04-17, 11:52 AM
Tandem Tom

We are heading to Tacoma.
Old 02-04-17, 09:37 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I'd route someone along Alki Beach for a stop at Spud Fish and Chips.
Old 02-05-17, 12:35 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
We are heading to Tacoma.
The quickest way from the N to the S end of Vashon is to just ride the main drag (Vashon Hwy) the length of the island. Traffic is mostly light to moderate and shoulders are decent. But you can cut over to the W side of the island to do all or parts of Westside Hwy and/or Wax Orchard. They'll be much less traffic and a much more rural/scenic island ride, but much hillier also. Vashon is a very nice place to bicycle.

- Mark