Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

AS A DRIVER, how many UNAVOIDABLE car accidents have you been involved in?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: AS A DRIVER, how many UNAVOIDABLE (see OP) car accidents have you been involved in?
47.47%
22.22%
16.16%
5.05%
4.04%
1.01%
1.01%
0%
0%
9 or more!
3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 09:48 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AS A DRIVER, how many UNAVOIDABLE car accidents have you been involved in in your lifetime?

NOTE: By "UNAVOIDABLE" I mean there was nothing you could have done to avoid it, even if for the two minutes prior to the collision you were following every defensive driving rule in the book, including paying attention, stopping a car length behind the person in front of you, not tailgating, avoiding side-by-side and blind spot driving, slowing down before entering an intersection and checking for red-light runners, not entering an intersection until the light has been green for at least 4 seconds if there are any sight line issues whatsoever, etc.

Please describe what happened in each incident.

EDIT: By "car accident" I mean "car crash".

EDIT 2: Safety/advocacy relevance: the whole issue of traffic safety in general, and how driver behavior relates to likelihood of being involved in a crash, is clearly relevant to cycling safety. The typical number of unavoidable crash incidents among forum members while driving provides some interesting insight into the issue.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 03-29-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-29-07, 09:49 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unavoidable? 0. No, wait... 1. I was going straight through an intersection and a lady turns left in front of me (She was northbound, I was southbound) .... I couldn't avoid the accident at all. But SHE could have, by not turning illegally in front of me.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 03-29-07, 09:55 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this exclude collisions while cycling?
Old 03-29-07, 09:55 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Unavoidable? 0. No, wait... 1. I was going straight through an intersection and a lady turns left in front of me (She was northbound, I was southbound) .... I couldn't avoid the accident at all. But SHE could have, by not turning illegally in front of me.
Did you slow down before you entered the intersection?

Originally Posted by Rule 20
Rule 20: Beware of Intersections!

Beware of Intersections

Intersections are one of the most dangerous areas for any driver. One oft-quoted statistic is that over 80% of all city collisions involving injury or death occur within signal-light (or "controlled") intersections. Adding to the severity of intersection collisions is the average speed through a city intersection is often above 50 mph, and the typical collision is usually a "t-bone," where you are hit on your vulnerable side door.

Here's how to lessen your risks. First, as you approach an intersection on a green light, slow down before entering it and make sure to look left-right-left; look left first, look left twice, because the first danger to you is the traffic approaching from your left. If the intersection is a "blind" one - where you can't see the traffic on the cross street until they (or you) are so close as to be an immediate hazard, slow down even more. Do not enter an intersection you have not visually cleared. Some drivers "cover" the brake by moving their foot for a few seconds from the accelerator to a position just above the brake pedal, which helps eliminate the reaction time needed to begin braking.
https://www.roadtripamerica.com/Defen...ing/Rule20.htm
Old 03-29-07, 09:57 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
Two or five, depending upon what definition of accident you're using (assuming an english definition of accident and not some unknown, bizarre, Headspeak™ definition).
Please assume "car accident" means "car crash"; a collision involving a car that you were driving.
Old 03-29-07, 09:59 PM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this post likely belongs in "Foo", unless you wish to change your original post to reflect how it has to do with Advocating and safety issues for cyclists.
I will answer it though. from my recollection, I can name 2 incidents in which I was involved in.

One was a small rockslide from a highwall. I made reference to these in another of your threads. for those who are not familiar with the term "highwall" it is a large section of rock mountain that has been drilled and blasted away for either the purposes of strip mining or building a rod on a lower part of a mountain. I'm sure anyone who has driven thru Kentucky, West Virginia, or anywhere in the ap. Mountains has seen them. you have the road, then a ditch, the a big tall wall of rock that has drill marks from the top to bottm. Anyhow, I was driving along and several rocks came off the highwall, mostly the size of baseballs and the like. A few smashed my windshield and I was unable to see due to the spiderweb effect of the shattering glass. That, the the smell of urine and feces bellowing up from my BVDs as. I hit my brakes and turned the wheel to the right. If I turned it to the left I risked hitting an oncoming car or smashing thru a guardrail and plumeting down a ravine. Veering right resulted in front end damage to my car from hitting the wall. My girlfriedn and I were alright though.

the other incident was a drunk driver. I was coming home from work one night. My driveway was small at my parents house so I had to park on the street. there were no streetlights and I did not see the drunk driver behind me with no lights on. I pulled off to the side of the road (yes I used my turn signal) and before I could put it in park I had a vehicular proctology exam from a Trans-Am. there was nothing I could do in that situation. If I had noticed him I could not have accelerated as there was a car parked in front of me. The guy was bastardly drunk and was in the process of passing out when he hit me at 30mph. Once again, I was alright.
Old 03-29-07, 10:12 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
Does this exclude collisions while cycling?
Yes, it excludes motorcycles too.
I want to limit this to driving an automobile (car or truck).
Old 03-29-07, 10:13 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
One. I was driving down the parkway and a guy in a truck just pulled right out in front of me. I didn't even have time to attempt a swerve.
Old 03-29-07, 10:19 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One. I was rear-ended by a blond bimbo/airhead, sending me into the SUV in front of me. The worst part of it was, stupid cell phone talking teenager pulled a hit-and-run on me, SUV driver blamed EVERYTHING on ME, and I never found out what became of that case

Edit: I was hasty in voting for ONE. Make that TWO. The second time, I was also rear-ended, but at least I didn't crash into the car in front of me.
Old 03-29-07, 10:21 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So an actual collision (look it up Mr. Head!) is required rather than the typical definition of accident?

Accident:
# An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
# An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.
Semantics again? I will indulge you in your silliness once in this thread.

In the Oxford American English dictionary (anyone with a Mac can verify) the following definition for accident is given, which is the one I obviously intended by writing car accident: a crash involving road or other vehicles.

Did anyone else have a problem understanding?

Furthermore, it's not just a accident (HS™ definition in effect) that you've been involved in, say as a passenger, but only those where you were driving.
Right. I specified "AS A DRIVER", in the thread title, the poll question, and in the OP. Did you miss it?
Old 03-29-07, 10:31 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was on a four lane road, 45 mph, divided by a grass center section. I was coming up to my left turn, in the left of two lanes, no left turn lane. I was already slowing for the turn, when a woman started across from a stop sign on my right (I had no stop sign). I saw her start to move, and hit the brakes harder. I almost got to a complete stop, but hit her left front fender with my bumper. Going right would have put me into a vehicle going by, and going left would have gone into a car waiting to come onto the road I was on.

25 mph residential street with a yellow divider. I had pulled out over a block before and was still below the speed limit. A car pulled out from the curb on my right and tried to make a left turn from the right curb. I saw the car start to pull out and hit the brakes, turning my wheels slightly to the left. I hit his left front fender with my bumper. I couldn't swerve more to the left due to an oncoming car.
Old 03-29-07, 10:48 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2. Both times I was hit from behind.

One was at a light that had just turned green (the guy in front of me didn't go, the guy behind me did).

The other was at stopped traffic. I stopped, the chick behind me didn't. I was thrown into the guy in front of me, bounced off him back into the girl who hit me, then back off of her into the guy in front of me.

What's your twist, HH?
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 03-29-07, 10:59 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
jeez, mr head, this is a BICYCLING forum.
Old 03-29-07, 11:03 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I had a vehicle totaled out in a completely unavoidable crash, unless you want to stretch the point on "avoidable" past the point of credibility in that I suppose I could have been in another location. I was hit by a driver while I was sitting at a light after he had an epileptic seizure and ran the light and swerved across the lanes, hitting 6 other vehicles in the process of hitting me while I was at a full stop. I was#1 in the chain and he hit me at an estimated 75 mph based on the damage to my car and distance traveled after hitting me and the other vehicles. Unbelievably, I only suffered a broken arm and nose from the crash.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-29-07, 11:08 PM
-pops-
PNW Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm.... I think I need some help on this one. A long time ago (highschool), I had a car with 3 female passengers and 3 males (including myself). We were driving along a completely deserted road, at night w/ the high beams on, obeying the speed limit, and I had both hands on the wheel. From the right hand side of the road a black dog darted across the ditch. It's head impacted squarely on the license plate (later observation), and I did not have time to brake or swerve. The dog passed completely under the vehicle, howling, and was observed by the tail lights to get up and run into the darkness.

The girls inquired if we'd just hit a dog. I decided to completely deny hitting any dogs, and indicated that we'd missed it and the howling had been due to a near miss. My friend in the right front passenger seat then chimed in with a complete cock-block by stating 'No way, man, you completely smoked that dog... Wow, it must really be F'd up!' Drama ensued further aft in the vehicle, and nobody hooked up later in the evening.

So, based on the references provided, I think I'm in the clear. Rule 37 applies to wildlife, and this animal was clearly domesticated. Rules 1-6 were implemented. We were following Rule 12, but this may have contributed since the dog came from 90 degrees (of course, we'll need a judgement on this). We are clear of the oft quoted Rule 20, since there were no intersections or driveways around. Rule 23, check - headlights on, highbeams on. Rule 26, check - I actually even straightened out the license plate first thing the next morning (although, in retrospect, it doing so prevented my parents from finding out about anything).

Findings of fact:
-Definitely needed a new wingman. Talk about the wrong thing to say!!! To his credit, he did later ackowledge that there was room for improvement.
-We really were not going to hook up with any of these girls anyway.

I'm gonna have to claim 'unavoidable' on this one, but am assuming positive intent and this is of course a matter of opinion.
Old 03-29-07, 11:23 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H. Head
I believe that in all but some very rare collisions, all drivers involved are complicit to some degree.
That's the tip of a very, very, silly iceberg.

NOTE: "Complicit," as used by Mr. Head, is not as defined in any dictionary.
That's what I'm thinking.

I'd like to know how I was "complicit" in any of my collisions, especially considering I was not cited for any of them. Maybe in that I was simply following the laws Sir Isaac Newton put into place...
Vanity
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 03-29-07, 11:34 PM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You weren't complicit using any normal definition of complicit used by rational people worldwide.

Using the Headspeak* definition, and subject to lots of Headmassaging* you might be "complicit" in one person's view.

Headspeak* complicit:

"the term "complicit" to mean "engaged in not following the well-known principles and rules of defensive driving."
heh
My highschool anatomy teacher was named Orloff Headspeak
Old 03-30-07, 12:07 AM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to extrapolate from this data HH, you will also want to know how many years driving experience people who responded have. I guarantee you it on average less then the 50 year lifetime driving average that you postulate in your other thread.
Old 03-30-07, 05:21 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
No accidents, been driving for 25 years. Most accidents can be prevented by people being ready for others to screw up -- I avoided rear end accident a few years ago by driving off the road because I saw in my mirrors that the guy behind me wouldn't stop in time.

I have screwed up behind the wheel, but thankfully when I did this, the other drivers were paying attention and avoided a wreck that would have been my fault.
Old 03-30-07, 05:51 AM
Jalopy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a bad driver, I have been in three. All in dry conditions during daylight hours with excellent visibility:

1. Four lane, moderate speed road, at an intersection with no turn lanes lanes. Waiting for an opening in opposing traffic to make a left turn. My turn signal was on and my foot was on the brake. Rear-ended by inattentive driver. (I was also "centerish" in the lane)

2. Just pulled into a marked on-street parking space. Car that was parked in front of me reversed into me.

3. Same scenario as in 1. but a different intersection.

Jalopy
Old 03-30-07, 05:54 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Did you slow down before you entered the intersection?
Perfect example of yet another HH poll. Someone provides an answer and the response is interrogation and lectures about 'best practices'. You should put a disclaimer on all your polls: "I am doing this so I can teach you from the book of HH, because I am a zealot and I can't help myself".

And stay out of my PMs - if you ain't got the guts to say it in public, I don't wanna hear it.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-30-07, 06:02 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
No accidents, been driving for 25 years. Most accidents can be prevented by people being ready for others to screw up -- I avoided rear end accident a few years ago by driving off the road because I saw in my mirrors that the guy behind me wouldn't stop in time.

I have screwed up behind the wheel, but thankfully when I did this, the other drivers were paying attention and avoided a wreck that would have been my fault.

Here's to your good driving record.
Twice I avoided being rear ended while waiting to make a left into my work place driveway. (there is no left turn lane, so you sometimes have to stop in the 50 mph traffic lane) Both times I seen the car coming up too fast from behind and had to abort my plans to turn and go straight instead. There is a collision here at least every month. Once while coming from the opposite direction on my bike, I witnessed the waiting driver get rear ended and pushed into oncoming traffic and hit again. This was only about 20 or 30 feet to my side and slightly ahead.
Old 03-30-07, 06:20 AM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 unavoidable. Been rear ended twice. Both times I was boxed in during rush hour traffic and couldn't get out of the way. Once I was cut off by a truck driven by some illegal immigrants. Had to slam on the brakes and got hit in the back as a result, which sandwiched me in between the truck and van behind me.

That one was fun when the cop showed up and looked at their license (I couldn't even tell what country it was from) and found they were in a "borrowed" truck.

-D
Old 03-30-07, 06:40 AM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Most accidents can be prevented by people being ready for others to screw up -- I avoided rear end accident a few years ago by driving off the road because I saw in my mirrors that the guy behind me wouldn't stop in time.
First collision I was in was between a car and a sidewalk.

Second was boxed in at the start of a green light.

I've avoided a couple by quick lane changes, etc, too.

Originally Posted by chipcom
And stay out of my PMs - if you ain't got the guts to say it in public, I don't wanna hear it.
Been there...
Vanity
Old 03-30-07, 07:20 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Heading down a two way, tree lined street, had an oncoming car turn left in front of me, no turn indicatior given. I was travelling well below speed limit, so no serious damage to either vehicle. No way to avoid accident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.