Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What makes a bike turn?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: To turn MORE left, which way does the guy in the OP need to turn the bars?
Turn the bars left to go more left.
48.28%
Turn the bars right to go more left.
51.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

What makes a bike turn?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 10:07 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What makes a bike turn?

For those who are interested, this thread is to discuss the topic of what makes a bike turn (a tangent from the skills thread).

Is it steering? Counter-steering? Leaning?

Can a bike with the headset welded and the bars set straight ahead turn? What if you walk this bike pushing it by the seat and lean it. Will it turn, or continue going straight?

For those who might think a counter-steer is always required, what about this?

EDIT:
Cool, the moderators merged the poll into this thread (Thanks!).

Here's the question:

If this guy, who is turning left, wants to turn more left, without shifting his body weight, does he need to turn the handle bars a bit left or a bit right?

Last edited by Helmet Head; 04-16-07 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-15-07, 10:30 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
who the heck thinks a countersteer is always needed to turn a bike?

I'm going to check with a few of the three and four year olds at the bike shop this week, and i'll get back to you about what makes a bike turn.

fascinating topic.

its the rider that makes a bike turn!
Old 04-15-07, 10:32 PM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
For those who are interested, this thread is to discuss the topic of what makes a bike turn (a tangent from the skills thread).
Is it steering? Counter-steering? Leaning?
Yup, nope, yup.

Can a bike with the headset welded and the bars set straight ahead turn?
Yup

What if you walk this bike pushing it by the seat and lean it. Will it turn, or continue going straight?
Depends on if you are adding any kind of counter pressure to it. By default, it will start to turn in the direction is is being leaned. I believe it is called castering... or cambering?? Not sure the exact term.

For those who might think a counter-steer is always required, what about this?
Can't view videos where I am. But counter steering can work, depending on where the center of gravity is and other factors. But if I were leaning my bike to the right, deeply, making a sharp right turn, countering with the weight of my body shifted to the left, and decided to turn my handlebars in the direction away from the turn (countersteer), I'd go down faster than a cheap hooker when you flash a $50 in front of her.
Old 04-15-07, 10:33 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist

I'm going to check with a few of the three and four year olds at the bike shop this week, and i'll get back to you about what makes a bike turn.

fascinating topic.

If you don't want to take some one else's thread topic seriously, the polite thing to do is stay quiet, Bek.
Old 04-15-07, 10:38 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

I do try to take you seriously, head. I'm going to be checking with some of the three and four year olds at the shop this week and see what they think about steering bikes, get some expert analysis on this puzzling topic for you.
Old 04-15-07, 10:41 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
If people followed your wishes described above, you would have few, if any, responses to any thread that you started.

I'm just sayin'...
And if my threads had few, if any, responses, would that be an improvement, or detriment, to this forum?

I'm just askin'...
Old 04-15-07, 10:43 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

since you're askin'.......

i think the biggest improvement to this forum, mr head,would be if you just stopped posting altogther.

that's my opinion of course, but one likely shared by the majority of the posters to A&S.

anyhoo, let me check with the kids at the bike shop this week, and I'll get back to this confusing and puzzling topic for you, mr head.
Old 04-15-07, 10:45 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do try to take you seriously, head. I'm going to be checking with some of the three and four year olds at the shop this week and see what they think about steering bikes, get some expert analysis on this puzzling topic for you.
Bek, in order to be able to do something, you don't need to necessarily understand how or why it works. You do understand that a duck has no clue about the physics of how or why it flies, do you not?

Humans have the option of trying to understand. This is the basis for fields such as science and engineering, and those who are simply interested.
Old 04-15-07, 10:51 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(from the skills thread)

Even if you did, it's easy to turn a bicycle, without counter steering, at 25 mph.
Maybe so. I'll try it.

The handlebars are turning in the direction of the turn (not counter steering) and causing the lean. I should frigging know, since I'm the one that strapped on the helmetcam ...
You're saying that turning the bars right causes the bike to lean right? That makes no sense.
We do all this stuff without thinking about it, but when I do think about it, it seems like turning left causes a lean right, and turning right causes a lean left.

Are you sure you're not leaning right, and then turning right to keep the bike from falling too far in that direction? That's how it looks to me in the clip.

Edit: I looked at it again: the initial turn right at 3-4 seconds looks like it stops the lean/fall, not causes it.

Edit 2: In fact, you seem to turn right too far, thus starting to lean back left and so then you correct by turning left again. You do this twice in a row in that window between 3 and 5 seconds. You shift your weight, which causes the bike to lean, you turn into the lean, stop the falling, then turn back the other way.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 04-15-07 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-15-07, 10:58 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

how does a duck steer a bike?

let me ask the kids that too, head. this truly is a fascinating topic....
Old 04-15-07, 11:01 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

fascinating topic.

I'm surprised HH didn't post a poll. This thread is in response to an argument he lost in the 'Bike Handling Skills' thread, check it out if you dare...

Old 04-15-07, 11:10 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watch the video once again. Especially the part where I'm riding on the elevated curb (starting at 29 seconds), which I chose to highlight the lack of countersteering (a countersteer, which is required according to you, would have put my front wheel off the curb to the left, when I wanted to exit to the right [which I did just fine]).
Dude, I have not been arguing the necessity of the counter-steer with you. Why are you still arguing this?

As you're riding on the curb, you're constantly falling left and right, and constantly correcting for it to stay on the curb. As you fall right, you turn right; as you fall left, you turn left. At the moment before you pop off, you don't correct enough to stay on the curb (I presume intentionally, but it doesn't really matter).

Edit: Note how difficult it is to notice that the bike is falling/leaning in either direction, even when you're on the curb, yet how noticeable the turn of the bars/front-wheel is to control each minute fall/lean. This shows how little lean it takes, and explains why it's so hard to notice.

We do all this stuff without thinking about it, but when I do think about it, it seems like turning left causes a lean right, and turning right causes a lean left.
Look at the picture of Jobst again. Is he leaning a different direction than he is turning? Are you just being sloppy with language again?
No, you're being sloppy with your reading.

I said a turn left causes [the bike to] lean right. Once you're in the turn (as Jobst is) you're long past needing to counter steer, and won't need to again, until you're ready to straighten out (assuming weight adjustment alone without counter-steer won't be enough).

No, I'm not leaning at all (other than minute left-right-left corrections to stay on the curb), I'm going straight.
The amount you need to shift your weight (lean), in order to get the bike to lean 'n turn, assuming you're over 100 lbs and the bike is 20-30, is very slight. That's why the counter-steer is not required. Try that on a 500 lbs. Harley. Good luck.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 04-15-07 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-15-07, 11:20 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

helmet head, don't despair, i'll be checking with any kids at the bike shop this week, and get some advice about this topic that's obviously confusing you.....
Old 04-15-07, 11:20 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
I'm surprised HH didn't post a poll. This thread is in response to an argument he lost in the 'Bike Handling Skills' thread, check it out if you dare...

No, this thread is in response to several requests in that thread to stop this discussion, because that thread was supposed to be about useful skills, and this was a theoretical discussion.

And how does one "lose" an argument where the only possible outcome is learning the truth?
Old 04-15-07, 11:23 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete,

Just got this from a friend, who looked at your clip:

Was that video clip supposed to be evidence? That particular view doesn't
allow me to determine if the bicycle wasn't countersteered. It takes very
slight pressure on the bar to induce a lean, and very little lean is required
to turn a bike, so the video shown isn't convincing evidence. I could just
as well have used captions that read: "Turning with Countersteering" in the
video, and it would have been just as insightful.
Old 04-15-07, 11:24 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

are you posting about steering motorcycles or bicycles, mr. head?

can I get a heads up if is this thread is going to invoke any gorillas driving tractors or playing basketball?
Old 04-15-07, 11:52 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you and your "friend" really see the handle bars turning in the opposite direction of the turn?
No, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

What part of

Note how difficult it is to notice that the bike is falling/leaning in either direction, even when you're on the curb, yet how noticeable the turn of the bars/front-wheel is to control each minute fall/lean. This shows how little lean it takes, and explains why it's so hard to notice.
"It takes very slight [counter-steer] pressure on the bar to induce a lean, and very little lean is required to turn a bike, so the video shown isn't convincing evidence"
Do you not understand?
Old 04-15-07, 11:59 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

I only actively countersteer when doing skid turns on ice or snow, Pete. I doubt HH has that turn in his repitoire.
Old 04-16-07, 12:09 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still curious about your cycling experience. Do you actually ride bikes frequently and/or have you been riding bikes for a significant amount of time?
Been riding for 40 years, 1000 to 5000 miles per year for the last 35 years.
My commute for the last 7 years has been only 6 miles each way, and I don't ride every day, though I do when I can. Some days I work from home, other days I drive. On weekends I like to get a 50 mile ride in. I'm comfortable riding with guys who race in tight peloton formation and in rotating pacelines, if that means anything to you.
Old 04-16-07, 12:20 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You guys are actually both right but about different things. Slow-speed turning which doesn't generate lateral-acceleration forces (and you stay upright) is completely different from high-speed turns with leaning.

At high-speeds, there's two states in steering & turning. The first is the turn-in where you go from 0-degrees lean to whatever angle carves the radius you want. Then the 2nd stage is steady-state cornering where the lean is steady and the radius is fixed. Coming out of the corner is the reverse of the turn-in where you go from maximum lean-angle back up to 0-degrees.

Here, try this experiment...

1. find an empty parking lot where you can ride in a straight line for 10-15 seconds @ 10mph+ uninterrupted
2. start down the parking lot and take your left hand off the hoods
3. steady yourself so that you can ride with just your right hand on the right brake-hood in a straight line
4. push forward with your right hand and note the direction the bike leans and turns
5. repeat the experiment again with just your right hand on the brake-hood and.
6. pull back with your right hand and note the direction the bike leans and turns

Try this out on a motorcycle at 50mph+ and push/pull on the bars with just one hand and this experiment will really make sense (because the forces required to make it lean and turn is a lot higher, making the direction of the forces obvious).

Then, fill in the following form:

4. pushing forward with your right hand turns the wheel ___________ and the bike turns __________.

6. pulling back with your right hand turns the wheel ___________ and the bike turn __________.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 04-16-07 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 12:49 AM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't tell from the video clip. I thought the point of a counter steer before the main steer was just to get the bike leaning for the main steer. So if I were to turn left, I would turn the bike right for a moment to tilt the bike to the left, and then keep it leaning through the left turn. However I could just lean the bike to the left by moving my body and just simply steer left. Either way my center of gravity would be shifted to the left where the bike would be after the turn. I think having absolute zero tilt is too hard to achieve or to show. But how about this? Try leaning the bike to the right while making a left turn. I'll try it in the morning. I don't think it can be done.
Old 04-16-07, 12:56 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
But how about this? Try leaning the bike to the right while making a left turn. I'll try it in the morning. I don't think it can be done.
It's not about leaning one way and turning the other. It's about steering it one way and having the lean and turn go the other way.... Do the experiment I laid out above and see what happens..
Old 04-16-07, 03:41 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pj7
Yup
Care to clarify (how a bike with locked, straight steerer turns)?
Old 04-16-07, 06:25 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcl8a
Care to clarify (how a bike with locked, straight steerer turns)?
It won't
Old 04-16-07, 07:34 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Turning any in line, fixed rear wheel, steerable front wheel vehicle is done by countersteering, period. On a bicycle, it is very subtle and you don't realise you are doing it but that is how its done. Racers know this and use it to be able to go around corners fast. Look at a race and you don't see guys throwing thier weight around on a bike to make it lean and turn. Their upper bodies are perfectly still and then they are leaned over hard, all done by countersteering.

As others have said, try this on a motorcycle and you will immediately see that countersteering is how its done. You have to really wrench on the bars to get a moto to lean at 100 mph.

The reason most people tend to fall over when they first ride a bike is because counter steering is not intuitive. You think, if I want to turn right, turn the bars to the right. Wrong, fall over.

There was an experiment done on a motorcycle where a second set of bars was welded to the head tube. The normal bars were just loose, not locked in place. Nobody could get the bike to steer in any usable or predictable fashion using only the bars welded to the headtube.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.