Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

This makes me sick..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

This makes me sick..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 07:46 AM
MarkSLC
considering myself warned

Bikes: Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Basso Gap Roadie (under construction), '84 Univega Roadie with Original Campy Victory, Centurion Le Mans Fixie Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes me sick..

Link to my local news about a hit and run. The mother****er that hit a 57 year old cyclist won't be facing felony charges.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5983113
Old 03-28-09, 07:49 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Wow. They guy admitted to hitting the cyclist, stopping to look at the critically injured cyclist, then driving off and leaving him for dead. Scary stuff.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-28-09, 07:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Nice news video.
Thanks

Old 03-28-09, 07:54 AM
Jose Perez
Cheese State Poseur

Bikes: Cervelo R3-SL, Serotta Colorado II, Trek Equinox 9.0, Bianchi San Jose, Pake Urban 6-Speed (grocery getter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not the overzealous type who calls for anyone who does anything to a cyclist to get the chair, but it sounds like this guy is seriously deserving of a beat down.
Old 03-28-09, 07:57 AM
MarkSLC

Bikes: Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Basso Gap Roadie (under construction), '84 Univega Roadie with Original Campy Victory, Centurion Le Mans Fixie Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose Perez
I'm not the overzealous type who calls for anyone who does anything to a cyclist to get the chair, but it sounds like this guy is seriously deserving of a beat down.
Oh man, this makes my blood boil. It's going to take some serious self discipline not to crack this guys head open if I ever see him around. And SLC is not a very big place.. I'm pretty sure I have seen this guy at the bars.
Old 03-28-09, 08:22 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
And I thought our liquor laws were screwed up.
Old 03-28-09, 08:37 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkSLC
Oh man, this makes my blood boil. It's going to take some serious self discipline not to crack this guys head open if I ever see him around. And SLC is not a very big place.. I'm pretty sure I have seen this guy at the bars.
And that would do what exactly? Un-injure the cyclist or fix the law? Oh, wait, I remember, it would land you in prison where you would be somebody's woman.

Last edited by DrPete; 03-28-09 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-28-09, 08:38 AM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Mouse
And I thought our liquor laws were screwed up.
at least it's legal to homebrew now.
Old 03-28-09, 09:11 AM
MarkSLC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
And that would do what exactly? Un-injure the cyclist or fix the law? Oh, wait, I remember, it would land you in prison where you would be somebody's woman.

Did you even read my post? I said "...NOT to crack this guys head in."

But your point is well taken, which is why I wouldn't go after him. I'm too old, have a Gov clearance, weapon permit, good job, and so on. The last thing I would need is a stupid assault charge screwing everything up. I just hope that this opens people's eyes around here. It just scares me that someone might see this as "oh, I won't get into too much trouble if I nail a cyclist". And believe me, there are people who think this way.. And I can guarantee you he was drunk.
Old 03-28-09, 09:16 AM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that, since the guy admitted hitting the cyclist, aside from the insurance claims, the only real recourse is some sort of civil action on the part of the cyclist. I hate to bring in the lawyers but there doesn't seem to be much recourse for justice in this case.
Old 03-28-09, 09:19 AM
MarkSLC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksquid
I think that, since the guy admitted hitting the cyclist, aside from the insurance claims, the only real recourse is some sort of civil action on the part of the cyclist. I hate to bring in the lawyers but there doesn't seem to be much recourse for justice in this case.
+1.... No, +1000!

I only hope that cyclist can make a full recovery.
Old 03-28-09, 09:58 AM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting they put a car commercial before the footage. Bad timing on everybody's part.
Old 03-28-09, 10:10 AM
Markj61

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They caught the guy 'cause they saw his 335 in Google Maps.
Bus-ted!

Edit: and the help of good witnesses that noticed the registration and know their Bimmers.

Last edited by Markj61; 03-28-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-28-09, 10:20 AM
MarkSLC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Markj61
They caught the guy 'cause they saw his 335 in Google Maps.
Bus-ted!

Edit: and the help of good witnesses that noticed the registration and know their Bimmers.
That was the best part, this guy was screwed from the get-go.
Old 03-28-09, 11:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
when the story was written, the driver was in jail. Not too bad.
Old 03-28-09, 01:19 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
1) At least the Utah law has now been fixed for future incidents.

2) The Cyclist needs to bring a civil action including an intentional tort count that leaving the scene was an intentional, not negligent act, and it exacerbated his injuries. That creates the possiblity of a large award which potentially is not insurable, or dischargeable in Bankruptcy.

And even if the kid has no money, you can F his credit for life if you succeed in getting a judgement that the insurance doesn't cover, and is non dischargable.

(Note, the viability of my theory would require some Utah specific research, but it would be worth looking into.)
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-28-09, 01:33 PM
tjspahr
My leg made the cover!

Bikes: Trek, Arbourne, BMC, Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope the cyclist fully recovers.

I hope that Karma rewards the driver by having him involved in a single car accident in the Beamer on the way to the body shop, and that the ambulance taking him to the hospital is delayed by a charity ride organized to help the person he originally hit.
Old 03-28-09, 02:09 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Did you even read my post? I said "...NOT to crack this guys head in."
That would imply that your first instinct would be to crack the guy's head, right?
Old 03-28-09, 02:56 PM
MarkSLC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would imply that your first instinct would be to crack the guy's head, right?
Absolutely. Read the comments on that news story and you'll see I'm not alone. In fact, I think there's something wrong with you if you AREN'T enraged by this story, even to the point of near violence. Me, I'm not going to do **** because he's already done it to himself. Even if he does get off easy, I know a handful of cyclists who would have no problem taking a U-Lock to this guy. If that happens, oh well. Just so long as I'm not around to deal with it.

So, to make things clear, the only reason I'm not personally out to tear this guys throat out is merely self preservation.
Old 03-28-09, 03:48 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely. Read the comments on that news story and you'll see I'm not alone. In fact, I think there's something wrong with you if you AREN'T enraged by this story, even to the point of near violence. Me, I'm not going to do **** because he's already done it to himself. Even if he does get off easy, I know a handful of cyclists who would have no problem taking a U-Lock to this guy. If that happens, oh well. Just so long as I'm not around to deal with it.
Definitely. Until cyclists start standing up for ourselves we will continue to be perceived as a bunch of spandex-clad fairies who do nothing more than fill out complaint forms and say "thank you sir, may I have another" when our lives are put in jeopardy. For every news report like this one there needs to be another about an aggressive driver getting his head broken. Only after those types of reports start circulating will drivers begin to think there might just be a price for running us over.
Old 03-28-09, 06:19 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden that route many, many times and where he was hit was a very wide part of the road with ample shoulders. The driver was completely impaired if he crossed to the other side of the road and slammed that biker.

There seems to be general consensus among those I've talked to that the driver had to have been drunk, high, or both. An interview with a neighbor on TV last night pretty much nailed him as an alcoholic spoiled partyboy. The police did take this case seriously and did some pretty fantastic detective work to find this goon. They sometimes just say there is "nothing we can do because we didn't see anything happen" when a crime has anything to do with a bike or cyclist versus a car.

This negligent tool also violated UT's 3-foot rule, pathetically. It seems almost like an accident that the cyclist is alive. I hope he recovers well enough to sue this creep into oblivion.

Check his myspace page if you really want to snort some fire: https://www.myspace.com/nmurder
Old 03-28-09, 07:24 PM
MarkSLC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rober
I've ridden that route many, many times and where he was hit was a very wide part of the road with ample shoulders. The driver was completely impaired if he crossed to the other side of the road and slammed that biker.

There seems to be general consensus among those I've talked to that the driver had to have been drunk, high, or both. An interview with a neighbor on TV last night pretty much nailed him as an alcoholic spoiled partyboy. The police did take this case seriously and did some pretty fantastic detective work to find this goon. They sometimes just say there is "nothing we can do because we didn't see anything happen" when a crime has anything to do with a bike or cyclist versus a car.

This negligent tool also violated UT's 3-foot rule, pathetically. It seems almost like an accident that the cyclist is alive. I hope he recovers well enough to sue this creep into oblivion.

Check his myspace page if you really want to snort some fire: https://www.myspace.com/nmurder
Dude, this guy is going to have to delete his Myspace account.. And Facebook, and Naked Party Midgets.. Cause he will be inundated with hate mail.. They've been using his myspace name (nmurder, what a tool box d-bag) all over the place on the news. Frankly, I'm surprised more ignorant Utards aren't jumping in on that KSL forum and saying "stupid cyclists, durrrr, lets gitummm!!""
Old 03-28-09, 07:26 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They've been using his myspace name (nmurder, what a tool box d-bag) all over the place on the news. Frankly, I'm surprised more ignorant Utards aren't jumping in on that KSL forum and saying "stupid cyclists, durrrr, lets gitummm!!""
I hope the jury gets to hear the his myspace name. Not that's it's relevant, but F him.
Old 03-28-09, 07:29 PM
MarkSLC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bwahaha!!! I couldn't see that image at work cause most image hosting sites are blocked, thus blocking most images.. HAHAHA, E-THUGS! Oh man... Is that gun even real? Funny thing is, I am THAT WHITE! When I step outside I run the risk of catching on fire. I don't tan, I just get less white. I'm an e-thug.. Oh jeez laweeez..
Old 03-28-09, 07:31 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
The desire to deliver physical punishment; to be the instrument of wrath if you'll forgive some melodrama is tempting. I've read any number of stories, most of them not dealing with cyclists, where the thought that I'd like to hurt that person comes to mind.

However, that thought needs to stay right there in your mind, unacted upon. I don't need to be a lawyer to give out the advice that the law doesn't sanction third party vengeance. In general, the law takes a dim view of vengeance overall. One likes to hope such people as our hit and run driver get what's coming to them but beyond hoping for jailtime as a b!tch for an unending line of blockmates or eternal damnation for these people there's not much we can do.

Before I come off as too sanctimonious I will admit (confess) that I scream/yell/curse at drivers who do stupid things around me. I don't think it's really effective as conversations that open with: "Hey *****hole!" seldom become productive but........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.