Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Things going wrong: what's "normal"?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 08:50 AM
MissKristen 
Go Buckeyes!

Bikes: Fuji road bike and a totally crap MTB that I use(d) for gnarly trail riding.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious what things can go wrong with any bike, from entry-level to pro. Chains falling off? Regular derailleur adjustments? Brake adjustments? Clicking gears?

I'm wondering because my entry-level yet decent Fuji bike has had 'quirks' since Day 1. I'm not sure if this is because of the way it was assembled, or if it's simply because it's a bike. What are the regular maintenance/adjustment issues that I should expect from a new bike? Last night my gears and pedals completely locked up due to my chain not catching correctly, and I almost bit it while clipped in at 20mph. Took me a while to figure out how to fix it, but I was left feeling less excited about my bike and am starting to get concerned. :/ It worked fine once I got the chain back on, but I still have weird issues with the gears.

Anyway... what are the quirks/issues/kinks that happen with ANY bike? Is it just mine? Do I need to sell it on CL and get a CAAD 9-5? haha

- Videotape

R A D I O H E A D
Old 07-09-09, 09:07 AM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you buy it from a shop? Do they have a service plan? Most new rides come with anything from a one month to one year free service to plan to fix all those "new bike issues".

Cable stretch happens when you start riding a new bike. Likely it will need them tightened/adjusted at least once after you start riding.

Have you taken it in since you bought it? How many hours have you ridden it for since you got it?

If you have gotten it adjusted where you bought it, and it still isn't right, take it back & get someone else to look at it.
Old 07-09-09, 09:12 AM
MissKristen 
Go Buckeyes!

Bikes: Fuji road bike and a totally crap MTB that I use(d) for gnarly trail riding.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes; Performance. They do free tune ups for life, pretty much. I've already had it in twice.

The bike has 300ish miles on it, and I took it in for the first time after 100 miles for the cable adjustments and such.

I guess I should keep taking it back for adjustments? Should I push for a return/exchange for a different bike at this point? The bike just doesn't seem to be working like a well-oiled machine, but I wasn't sure if its just the nature of the bike beast.

Thanks

- Videotape

R A D I O H E A D
Old 07-09-09, 09:19 AM
dperreno

Bikes: '72 Fuji Finest, '80 Austro-Daimler Inter 10, '06 Fuji Team Issue, '06 Salsa Las Cruces, Nashbar Frame single speed

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's fairly typical for the rear derailleur cable to need adjustment after the first hundred miles or so as the cable housings and ferrules get "settled in." (Usually called "cable stretch," but more properly should be called "housing compaction?")

I would check your chain for damage - I had a similar issue where I tossed my chain and it got jammed between my crank and bottom bracket. I had shifting problems that wouldn't go away until I replaced the chain Turned out I had slightly bent a few links, and that's all it took.
Old 07-09-09, 09:24 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apart from tightening the cables as they stretch in, you shouldn't need to do anything to a new bike.
Old 07-09-09, 09:24 AM
Quijibo187
Custom User Title

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After the initial tune up from things settling in, the bike shouldn't have to be touched unless something gets bent or things just need replacing.
Old 07-09-09, 09:28 AM
KiuBWhy

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MissKristen
Just curious what things can go wrong with any bike, from entry-level to pro. Chains falling off? Regular derailleur adjustments? Brake adjustments? Clicking gears?

I'm wondering because my entry-level yet decent Fuji bike has had 'quirks' since Day 1. I'm not sure if this is because of the way it was assembled, or if it's simply because it's a bike. What are the regular maintenance/adjustment issues that I should expect from a new bike?
Last night my gears and pedals completely locked up due to my chain not catching correctly, and I almost bit it while clipped in at 20mph. Took me a while to figure out how to fix it, but I was left feeling less excited about my bike and am starting to get concerned. :/ It worked fine once I got the chain back on, but I still have weird issues with the gears.

Anyway... what are the quirks/issues/kinks that happen with ANY bike? Is it just mine? Do I need to sell it on CL and get a CAAD 9-5? haha
What exactly happened? It sounds like you might have dropped the chain shifting you Front Derailleur. If that was the case, ease up on the pedals when you're shifting from big to small on the front cogs. Or anticipate and be in the proper gear.

+1 on the cable stretch tweaking as well.
Old 07-09-09, 09:29 AM
MissKristen 
Go Buckeyes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool... I'll take it back in and have them check out the chain and make sure nothing's bent/wearing down/whatever. Thanks!!!

- Videotape

R A D I O H E A D
Old 07-09-09, 09:46 AM
THEVERGE
Slow

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Newest 3.0 w/ full SRAM Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM Rival

/thread

Old 07-09-09, 09:51 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Honestly nothing should need to be done. After building all of my bikes, after a couple of hundred miles I adjust the tension on the deraillers and thats it. I barely even lube my chain. Last time I did was like 500+ miles ago. Bike is completely silent and works great.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 07-09-09, 09:55 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tell the shop exactly what happened when the chain "locked up" - show them where the chain went. That will help them diagnose the problem. Try to be very specific about what the issues are - shifting between which gears, when does it happen - you could go ride around and try to make it have the problem so you can tell them how to make it happen, and they can see it for themselves.

The lock up sounds like "chain suck" to me - https://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/chainsuck.html

Here's a REALLY interesting article - https://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/OVERALL.htm
that seems to imply that on a new bike, you probably have a manufacturing defect in the chain or chainring - which if you like the bike otherwise would be really easy for the shop to fix for you.

Also, if you keep having problems, bite the bullet and take it to a high-end bike shop and pay for a tune up -- you might get a better mechanic, who could spot any underlying issues. Performance's personnel are, um... of variable quality.
Old 07-09-09, 09:59 AM
THEVERGE
Slow

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Newest 3.0 w/ full SRAM Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Also, if you keep having problems, bite the bullet and take it to a high-end bike shop and pay for a tune up -- you might get a better mechanic, who could spot any underlying issues. Performance's personnel are, um... of variable quality.

I agree with this. I did the same and the difference was like nite and day.
Old 07-09-09, 10:01 AM
cdubb

Bikes: Scott CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shop where I bought my bike recommended coming in for a tune up at 350 to 400 miles for things like cable stretch, wheel truing etc. Could it be that you brought yours in too early?
Old 07-09-09, 10:01 AM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shouldn't a Mod of a Cycling forum have at least some basic knowledge of bikes?
Old 07-09-09, 10:02 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Yes; Performance. They do free tune ups for life, pretty much. I've already had it in twice.

The bike has 300ish miles on it, and I took it in for the first time after 100 miles for the cable adjustments and such.

I guess I should keep taking it back for adjustments? Should I push for a return/exchange for a different bike at this point? The bike just doesn't seem to be working like a well-oiled machine, but I wasn't sure if its just the nature of the bike beast.

Thanks
Cable stretch. This is normal.
Old 07-09-09, 10:08 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

I'm wondering because my entry-level yet decent Fuji bike has had 'quirks' since Day 1. I'm not sure if this is because of the way it was assembled, or if it's simply because it's a bike. What are the regular maintenance/adjustment issues that I should expect from a new bike? Last night my gears and pedals completely locked up due to my chain not catching correctly, and I almost bit it while clipped in at 20mph. Took me a while to figure out how to fix it, but I was left feeling less excited about my bike and am starting to get concerned. :/ It worked fine once I got the chain back on, but I still have weird issues with the gears.

If you ride a lot, particularly in messy (wet conditions), you'll get drivetrain noises as the drivetrain gets dirty (clean it as needed, degreaser, brushes, rags, maybe a chain cleaning gizmo). That also means you'll need the bottom bracket and eventually the headset cleaned, repacked, occasionally replaced. You'll have to replace chains, rear cogs. I ride 12,000 miles annually and I only have to replace components like derailleurs or cranks when they literally snap or fall off the bike (I've had both happen). The parts tend to work until they detonate. In other words, when they need replacement, you'll know.
Old 07-09-09, 10:24 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gabdy
What does one have to do with the other?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-09-09, 10:27 AM
Stray8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No, they only need to be able to monitor and check for inappropriate posts with abusive or potty-mouthed terms...

Last edited by Stray8; 07-09-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 10:31 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
This is BF.

Get a grip.
Old 07-09-09, 10:33 AM
gabdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
What does one have to do with the other?
Nothing at all. I was just throwing it out there.
Old 07-09-09, 10:34 AM
MissKristen 
Go Buckeyes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I'm new to road cycling. I have stupid questions, just like everyone else when they started out. But if you'll notice, there are 7 of us moderating RC. We all have different strengths. If you have an issue with my (or anyone else's) qualifications as a moderator, please contact the Administrator (Tom) instead of trolling threads and attempting to drag my name through the mud in a public forum. Seriously. That goes for anyone. Feedback is always welcome.

Anyway, thanks for the help from everyone else so far.

- Videotape

R A D I O H E A D
Old 07-09-09, 10:37 AM
gabdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I'm new to road cycling. I have stupid questions, just like everyone else when they started out. But if you'll notice, there are 7 of us moderating RC. We all have different strengths. If you have an issue with my (or anyone else's) qualifications as a moderator, please contact the Administrator (Tom) instead of trolling threads and attempting to drag my name through the mud in a public forum. Seriously. That goes for anyone. Feedback is always welcome.

Anyway, thanks for the help from everyone else so far.
Maybe you should give me an infraction for trolling?

Edit: I saw the strength of a Mod the other day when they quickly cleaned up their mess.

Last edited by gabdy; 07-09-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 10:45 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Maybe you should give me an infraction for trolling?

Edit: I saw the strength of a Mod the other day when they quickly cleaned up their mess.
At least your earning your "custom" name" PRICK.
Old 07-09-09, 10:46 AM
gabdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
At least your earning your "custom" name" PRICK.
What's your point?
Old 07-09-09, 10:49 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Mostly the mods have people handling skills.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....... *thinking gabdy should join us on the moderation team*

actually that would be an EXCELLENT idea!

Oh well, that was a fleeting moment. *shrugs*

Never mind me. Carry on.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.