Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting Staves Off H1N1!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 06:40 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts

Of course, I could be presymptomatic at this very moment...

but at the very least, I think that being in good shape from my ~50 miles/week commute has primed my immune system enough to put off getting it.

My son had the seasonal vaccine and has been knocked out since Thursday. So it's probably the dreaded swine flu. My wife, since Friday night. My other little guy seems to be coming down with it, too...

So far so good for me. I've felt like I was fighting something off at several points. Rest + Tea/OJ + Extra Riding - Beer, and I'm still hanging in there!

Ever since I started commuting in February, I've been convinced that it
's benefited my immune system.

Wish me continued luck!
Old 11-09-09, 06:49 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hold on there a moment:

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...oost-immunity/

In the second experiment, published in the same journal, scientists from the University of Illinois and other schools first infected laboratory mice with flu. One group then rested; a second group ran for a leisurely 20 or 30 minutes, an easy jog for a mouse; the third group ran for a taxing two and a half hours. Each group repeated this routine for three days, until they began to show flu symptoms. The flu bug used in this experiment is devastating to rodents, and more than half of the sedentary mice died. But only 12 percent of the gently jogging mice passed away. Meanwhile, an eye-popping 70 percent of the mice in the group that had run for hours died, and even those that survived were more debilitated and sick than the control group.
Old 11-09-09, 07:14 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Hmmm, so the 25 hilly miles I did on my beater Panasonic today was probably not a great idea...? At least I took less than 2.5 hours!
Old 11-09-09, 07:15 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There's been a bunch of anecdotal evidence, including myself and friends, that when we're commuting regularly, we either don't get sicknesses that are going around our houses, or symptoms are very light. I think it's a combination of getting the blood pumping and the temperature up in all extremites, plus triggering heavier than normal mucous flow, causing germs to be flushed out before they can really settle in.
Old 11-09-09, 07:39 PM
Spanky-G-Master
Mount-an-Biker

Bikes: Sette Reken, Mongoose Nx 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuting did not save me...but good luck
Old 11-09-09, 08:23 PM
jagsfanrick

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn World S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know NFL players get the flu so i guess anyone can.
Old 11-09-09, 08:35 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jagsfanrick
I don't know NFL players get the flu so i guess anyone can.
Football involves more contact than you're average school or office environment.
Old 11-09-09, 09:08 PM
QuickityJacks

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck, Ridley Crossbow, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Historically I've always been hit the hardest in my household. However, since regular exercise (including commuting) has become a part of my life, the flu that raged through my house barely got me out of the pedals and I didn't spend a single day in bed this year. Maybe it's coincidental but, for now, it's yet another log on the "keep at it" fire for me.

(It's slow roasting on top of "general sense of well being" "energy" "endurance" "it's tons of fun" and possibly most important of all "lots of positive attention from women.")
Old 11-09-09, 09:25 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

I love how there are ads from clorox.com on this thread when I open it up.
Old 11-09-09, 10:25 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well, regular commuting didn't help me so far. I got sick 2 weeks ago and though I no longer have a fever I still have a cough every now and then (but it's going away slowly). I do work with kids and work overnights so I'm sure that doesn't help my situation. Of course I got sick on my days off from work so I didn't commute.

However on a lighter side I had to call the Police last night about one of the kids I work with. After giving him my name and DOB (for the report) he commented how I look a lot younger then him and he's six years younger than me. Perhaps riding a bike is the fountain of youth.
Old 11-09-09, 10:54 PM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the general panic about H1N1, maybe a plausible rumor that cycling helps fight the bug would encourage more people to get on their bikes.

I've been bike commuting for around three years, and haven't seen any notable changes in the frequency with which I get sick. I still get knocked off the bike for a week or two every winter by some sort of bug. Part of that is just the fact that the longer I've been off the bike, the less I want to go out and slug it through the snow, ice, and slush.
Old 11-10-09, 11:49 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
In my case H1N1 staved off my commuting. LOL

I got it about three weeks ago. The vaccine arrived in our area about two weeks ago.

Thankfully I was only out of work a couple of days and back on the bike in about a week. Took another week to get my lungs back.
Old 11-10-09, 12:01 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Those studies are ridiculous relative to the headline. They seem to prove that couch potatoes shouldn't start exercising when they think they're about to be sick. Huge surprise there! I want to see a study where mice are put on little tiny bicycles for 45 minutes twice a day for about two years, then exposed to the virus.
Old 11-10-09, 12:16 PM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that commuting (fresh air, et cetera) improves your immune system and basically your general health.

Though, it does not keep away viri like H1N1.
Old 11-10-09, 03:00 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by FreddyV
I agree that commuting (fresh air, et cetera) improves your immune system and basically your general health.

Though, it does not keep away viri like H1N1.
This is true....

I left work at noon today. 99.8 degrees in the nurse's office (I teach high school).

I feel pretty good, but I'm sure I'm contagious, so I signed out.

So yeah, commuting did delay it, but I did still get a touch of what's going around. Now we'll see if I weather it a little better after going into it with my, um, "commuter superpowers."

I do think that the long weekend ride was what knocked me out, which matches what the NYT article said. The article also confirms my sense that my inflamatory response is not as bad as the rest of my family, at least at this point. Everyone else has a bad cough while I still only have a little tickle in my throat.

Last edited by Standalone; 11-10-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 03:02 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I took the vaccine and now I have autism.
Old 11-10-09, 03:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing even despite using public gyms and pools. Perhaps my high level of fitness and current mix of vitamins are helping me stave off the infections that abound.
Old 11-10-09, 04:44 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Those studies are ridiculous relative to the headline. They seem to prove that couch potatoes shouldn't start exercising when they think they're about to be sick. Huge surprise there! I want to see a study where mice are put on little tiny bicycles for 45 minutes twice a day for about two years, then exposed to the virus.
Really, what the study seemed to imply is that moderate exercise will do a world of good, while overextending yourself while getting sick will make it worse. I'm guessing this roughly lined up with the hypothesis, since that's hardly a surprising result.

I imagine that nobody's daily commute would qualify as overextending themselves, since their bodies are used to it. But taking up a 20 mile commute after years of inactivity...probably shouldn't time that for flu season.
Old 11-10-09, 06:09 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I take the following whenever I begin to feel under the weather:

1. homemade chicken soup with lots of garlic and cayenne pepper
2. Sambucol

One of the things about commuting that helps, IMO, is the fact that in the cooler weather we tend to launch a lot of snot rockets and blow our nose more often.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-10-09, 06:10 PM
Spanky-G-Master
Mount-an-Biker

Bikes: Sette Reken, Mongoose Nx 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
I took the vaccine and now I have autism.
I hope you were not trying to be funny
Old 11-10-09, 08:01 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Standalone
Of course, I could be presymptomatic at this very moment...

but at the very least, I think that being in good shape from my ~50 miles/week commute has primed my immune system enough to put off getting it.

My son had the seasonal vaccine and has been knocked out since Thursday. So it's probably the dreaded swine flu. My wife, since Friday night. My other little guy seems to be coming down with it, too...

So far so good for me. I've felt like I was fighting something off at several points. Rest + Tea/OJ + Extra Riding - Beer, and I'm still hanging in there!

Ever since I started commuting in February, I've been convinced that it
's benefited my immune system.

Wish me continued luck!

No no no....it's +Beer, in fact, it's + extra beer.
Old 11-11-09, 11:12 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by neil
Really, what the study seemed to imply is that moderate exercise will do a world of good, while overextending yourself while getting sick will make it worse. I'm guessing this roughly lined up with the hypothesis, since that's hardly a surprising result.
I think they're trying to get at the difference between 'exercise' for 'health' vs. 'training' to optimize some specific physical function. If you're generally exercising you're likely to be generally healthy, but if you're 'training' hard for some specific function, your general health is not being helped and could be hurt.
Old 11-11-09, 11:33 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
I left work at noon today. 99.8 degrees in the nurse's office (I teach high school).
That temp is not necessarily a indication of infection and barely outside of normal, especial at noon if you are an early riser. Anything >99.5 at peak daytime activity is generally over normal. But everyone is different, but one would have to keep track of ones normal daily temp fluctuations to know of 99.8 is really outside of normal for noontime.

Of course your other symptoms and recent exposure are more telling and those factors with the very slightly higher than normal temp make for a compelling reason to leave work, especially a school.
Old 11-11-09, 11:35 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky-G-Master
I hope you were not trying to be funny
You would rather I was being serious?
Old 11-11-09, 11:42 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It's like any other flu,people don't believe the killer bee/pit bull stories anymore,so now it's this.The media acts like it's going to sweep the world and half the people are going to die,BS! One day something will come along,but this isn't it.

Riding is good for you.

Last edited by Booger1; 11-11-09 at 11:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.