Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

do you have healthcare ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: do you have healthcare
yes
83.68%
no
16.32%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

do you have healthcare ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 05:45 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
do you have healthcare ?

lets face it, riding around the roads on 16 lbs of carbon and aluminum has its risks. healthcare is such a prominent news topic as of late that it got me thinking on the drive home. how many of you have healthcare provided, and how many are just "rolling the dice"

this is primarily aimed at US citizens, but if you live in another country, and would like to briefly explain healthcare coverage i would also be very interested.
Old 03-04-10, 05:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
lets face it, riding around the roads on 16 lbs of carbon and aluminum has its risks. healthcare is such a prominent news topic as of late that it got me thinking on the drive home. how many of you have healthcare provided, and how many are just "rolling the dice"

this is primarily aimed at US citizens, but if you live in another country, and would like to briefly explain healthcare coverage i would also be very interested.
I have employer-subsidized healthcare. I wish it were better.

****!
Old 03-04-10, 05:52 PM
rufvelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have excellent healthcare, auto, property/casualty and life....well I guess you only find out when it comes to collecting.
Old 03-04-10, 05:55 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a cyclist moving to the US shortly (NY), could any one recommend an emergency-only insurance option? I retain my native health care and doctor, but dread the bill from a serious bike-related accident in the US. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!
Old 03-04-10, 05:57 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy my own via blue cross. the insurance option from my wife's company is too expensive. It sure paid off with the hernia surgery I had 2 weeks ago.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 03-04-10, 06:06 PM
heckler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qqy
As a cyclist moving to the US shortly (NY), could any one recommend an emergency-only insurance option? I retain my native health care and doctor, but dread the bill from a serious bike-related accident in the US. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!
I believe what you are talking about would be called catastrophic insurance. It is basically 100% insurance with a $5000 deductable. My job offers it and it is my understanding that you can purchase it as an individual as well.
Old 03-04-10, 06:17 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heckler
I believe what you are talking about would be called catastrophic insurance. It is basically 100% insurance with a $5000 deductable. My job offers it and it is my understanding that you can purchase it as an individual as well.
I had the same thing. (although I got a few bucks off on prescriptions as a bonus.) Cost me $70 a month from Blue Cross. Unless making the monthly payment is just impossible for you, you're a fool if you don't have insurance - cyclist or not.
Old 03-04-10, 06:25 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I do have healthcare. Very good health care at that. I'd like to keep it.
Old 03-04-10, 06:26 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Both the wife and I are covered, as I'm currently laid-off from the motorcycle shop, thank ghod for COBRA. The wife has Progressive Supraneuclear Palsey (PSP), so being uncovered in our place is not an option.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-04-10, 06:29 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Yes I live in Canada, sometime it's slow and you can't always get in right away to your own family doctor but you can always go to the walk in clinic, plus my work covers semi private room with phone and T.V. One thing many don't understand is the doctors care is free but not the medication and I'm damn happy myself and wife have coverage for this, plus dental from work or I'd be a very poor man.
Old 03-04-10, 06:33 PM
thesmoothdome

Bikes: '10 BMC Pro Machine, 02 Fisher Sugar 2+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one nice thing about working in public education is the excellent health benefits. Right now, we have 0 deductible, 0 copay (although this looks like it's going to change)full health coverage and generous dental and vision coverage. My wife is an accident prone type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump, so good coverage is crucial.
Old 03-04-10, 06:42 PM
mike047
Grumpy

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 3.0/ Giant Sedona DX/Giant Defy 3/ Corsa with a tall seat post

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VA if that counts.
Old 03-04-10, 06:57 PM
hodie21
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe some should sell the bike drop the cell phone bill and buy insurance if you don't have it.
Old 03-04-10, 06:59 PM
hodie21
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thesmoothdome
The one nice thing about working in public education is the excellent health benefits. Right now, we have 0 deductible, 0 copay (although this looks like it's going to change)full health coverage and generous dental and vision coverage. My wife is an accident prone type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump, so good coverage is crucial.

You are truly lucky with the 0 deduct and 0 copay in this day.

What would really help us all if they let insurance companies compete across state lines and do a little TORT reform.
Old 03-04-10, 07:07 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My employer pays the whole bill, but the plan does have a $1,000 deductible and copays. Paid off for me bigtime last year when I was diagnosed and successfully treated for cancer. Lots of expensive surgery, lots of expensive radiation and chemo.
Old 03-04-10, 07:16 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
Yes I live in Canada, sometime it's slow and you can't always get in right away to your own family doctor but you can always go to the walk in clinic, plus my work covers semi private room with phone and T.V. One thing many don't understand is the doctors care is free but not the medication and I'm damn happy myself and wife have coverage for this, plus dental from work or I'd be a very poor man.
Same here...no probs getting to see my doc though. Only problem is he is in my home town, about 30 minutes away. It's tough finding a local doctor, but I'm comfortable with my guy...When I do see him...

Also have extended benefits through work that covers dental, prescription drugs, physio, chiro, etc...Short term and long term disability is also in there so I'm pretty well covered...
Old 03-04-10, 07:19 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Employer-financed, $20 co-pay and $10 for meds, 50% dental, accidents 100% covered, ER and hospitalizations 100% covered. I pay 20% of the total premium every month. Pretty good plan but will soon be replaced by high-deductable ($1500 per year) HSA-type plan with all preventative covered at 100%. Not so good plan. My employer is crying poverty and cutting corners (at our expense, of course). What happened to Universal Health Care? That's what I thought I was voting for two Novembers ago...
Old 03-04-10, 07:23 PM
shiz702

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was dropped from my mom's insurance when I turned 25 and I went a year without it. I told myself that I wouldn't start racing until I got some kind of insurance for emergencies. I got insurance about 4 months ago and I feel a lot better now. It's very reassuring when I'm racing knowing if something were to happen I am covered.
Old 03-04-10, 07:52 PM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup. Employer subsidised...less and less every year, but it beats the alternative of none.
Old 03-04-10, 08:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rober
Employer-financed, $20 co-pay and $10 for meds, 50% dental, accidents 100% covered, ER and hospitalizations 100% covered. I pay 20% of the total premium every month. Pretty good plan but will soon be replaced by high-deductable ($1500 per year) HSA-type plan with all preventative covered at 100%. Not so good plan. My employer is crying poverty and cutting corners (at our expense, of course). What happened to Universal Health Care? That's what I thought I was voting for two Novembers ago...
Having a plan with a high enough deductible, and thereby qualifying for an HSA is very good. It allows you to save an additional $6000 per year tax free.

And if everyone had one, then consumers would actually be paying a portion of their health care costs, and would make rational utilization decisions, thereby controlling costs.

As long as people have health care plans with $20 co pays and $10 prescription drugs, then everyone wants everything, and there's no prayer of controlling costs.

Pretty sure this should be enough to get this to P&R.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-04-10, 08:05 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by thesmoothdome
While it's nice being the one with Zero out of pocket, it's terrible public policy. One of the things the original Obama proposal had that was good was taxing such policies pretty much out of existence.

As long as its all free, people will consume more of it, at a greater societal cost, than is warranted.

Why not go ask your doc for the lasted designer drug you saw advertised on TV as long as it's free?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-04-10, 08:06 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a self-insured group plan through my employer. They are fairly large, so we get very good coverage at low rate. $15 co-pays, $5-10 prescriptions, $500 deductible for anything over $5,000. Anything below that there is literally no charge. BUT, we do pay out of our checks about $200 per month.
Old 03-04-10, 08:10 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have insurance, but can only afford he one that would leave me with a lot out of pocket. I wouldn't say that qualifies as "having healthcare."
Old 03-04-10, 08:18 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am covered under my retirement policy, until I am 65, and then medicare will be subsidized by the policy. It is far better than any packages I am seeing lately (and I'm covered under my current employer as well, so it should be about 100% coverage for me, at least). I have two children still covered under my insurance, and Patti is covered under her own employer. The picture is not as rosy for my older children...

BTW, while I was racing, I visited the ER 9 times, and each time was expensive (as Patti likes to remind me). One crash (at the 1991 Park City World Cup) involved helicopter extraction and visits to 3 ERs until the freaking ambulance driver could find someone to deal with a head injury...my cost for that little fiasco was about $3000 (and there was no medical procedure other than scrubbing the road rash).

Apply 20 years inflation to that number, and understand that if you race you face these kinds of bills.
Old 03-04-10, 08:51 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Um... wait, do you really mean "healtcare" or do you mean Health Insurance?

I've got Health Insurance.

Whether that counts as "healthcare" is debateable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.