Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dog and owner confrontation: escalate or evade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 08:48 PM
dmann
dmann

Bikes: Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cresting a steep and nasty, w/o warning launching from a driveway on my left a snarling black missile locks on from my 10:00 o'clock, I turn into the beast forcing (it) to check up and loop around, I drop a gear and push real hard to open the gap as fido 180's trying to close on my six. I yell "NO ...BAD DOG", fido slows, appears confused until owner (washing the pickup) laughs and shouts at me to grow up (I'm 53), fido hits the afterburners and closes rapidly at which point I arm the Halts, squeeze off 1 burst into fido's flight path, fido's fun is over. Owner seeing fido break off screams at me to stop and starts toward me, I laugh and say "FU pal, your next" as I accelerate away, owner is in a lather screaming, swearing totally unhinged. I wanted to turn back and kick his a$$ but didn't, rode the downslope with the adrenaline rush to 39.8 mph and continued the ride with eyes in the mirror expecting to see the pickup dogs et al in hot pursuit. Dilemma....this is one of my favorite loops, (dog and owner are new) do I make peace or do I go willingly into harms way?
Old 03-21-10, 08:51 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Reload your Halt...

Old 03-21-10, 08:53 PM
PeddlingPilgrim
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow! 40mph!

i did laugh @ the "FU pal, your next" part... i will have to remember that.
Old 03-21-10, 08:55 PM
dmann
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty good hills in my hood......almost 40, my eyes were watering and I was pissed!
Old 03-21-10, 08:57 PM
dmann
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reload your Halt...

I thinl I'll go in double barreled
Old 03-21-10, 09:00 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah, I am a little more careful these days. I work with a guy who stands 6'7" and about 240 lbs. He got into a little road rage incident and the punk behind him rammed his car at a stop light. He sees the driver in rear get out so he decides to as well and he just got his head out the door opening when a baseball bat broke over it. The kid then used the broken bat to stab my coworker in the face 5 times giving him 36 stitches.

I may yell "FU pal", but I will keep on riding..

Just keep riding your route and things will settle down. Deep down the dog owner knows he was wrong.
Old 03-21-10, 09:01 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im loving the descriptive language...
Old 03-21-10, 09:10 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
In North Carolina your safer if you maced a guys wife than his dog. But that doesn't stop me from letting Fido get it when I'm chased.
Hard to give advice on this situation. You need to decide if you want to face the confrontation. One thing I would do is note where he lives and let someone know incase he's a nut case and comes at you with a gun.
Old 03-21-10, 09:13 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had some nasty dogs chase me a few nights, (at 10:30pm), on the way home from work, so I caught 'em, gutted 'em, cooked and ate 'em...problem solved..... No, really.

Actually, they belonged to a lawyer so I contacted him about it. His response was very friendly and the problem has been solved. Sometimes the diplomatic approach is better.
Old 03-21-10, 09:18 PM
dmann
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
punk: when I was a kid, this term described an individual at the crossroads: left turn = life a crime loser, right turn = a$$ kicked enough times to see the light. Today few if any (hello parents) are willing to kick the a$$ and chart a new course.
Old 03-21-10, 09:23 PM
dmann
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In North Carolina your safer if you maced a guys wife than his dog
wow just wow.......you made my day! I may visit the local polizia for advice and a tactical recon on an existing leash law violation.
Old 03-21-10, 10:01 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I like dogs. A dog chasing a cyclist is a dog likely to get run over by a car. I've never had the opportunity to explain this to a dog owner, but that's the tack I'd take, although you haven't gotten off to a great start with this one.
Old 03-21-10, 10:05 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmann
punk: when I was a kid, this term described an individual at the crossroads: left turn = life a crime loser, right turn = a$$ kicked enough times to see the light. Today few if any (hello parents) are willing to kick the a$$ and chart a new course.
Yeah I think we need to administer more beatings too. I can't wait to have kids so I can seriously wail on them 24/7.
Old 03-21-10, 10:18 PM
PeddlingPilgrim
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
I like dogs. A dog chasing a cyclist is a dog likely to get run over by a car. I've never had the opportunity to explain this to a dog owner, but that's the tack I'd take, although you haven't gotten off to a great start with this one.
i agree w/ the possibility of the canine (w/ out a leash or fence) getting crushed under the wheels of traffic, especially after after seeing a few dog remains along the side of the road on my rides out of austin to creedmoor... to lytton springs. the remains were just on the opposite side of the road of a country house w/ out a fence.

i didn't encounter this ambivalent attitude and practice till i moved here recently. it's kind of saddening being a long time pet owner of dogs & cats.
Old 03-21-10, 10:24 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best to halt and leave... probably not smart to threaten the owner though you should have instead said "Next time keep it on a leash" while making your rapid exit!
Old 03-21-10, 10:54 PM
dmann
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't wait to have kids so I can seriously wail on them 24/7.
I have 2 fine kids, well not kids anymore.... who grew up understanding the difference. You on the other hand deal in absolutes and are obviously incapable of understanding the subtlety and nuances that successful parenting demands. I think you are sadly correct and the beatings will be merciless and most likely unwarranted, Kaplah!
Old 03-22-10, 04:48 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 fine kids, well not kids anymore.... who grew up understanding the difference. You on the other hand deal in absolutes and are obviously incapable of understanding the subtlety and nuances that successful parenting demands. I think you are sadly correct and the beatings will be merciless and most likely unwarranted, Kaplah!
Yeah I don't see subtleties like left turn vs right turn but man am I ever willing to beat some ass to chart a new course! I could not agree with you more!!!! I mean they'll TOTALLY be beatings that have all sorts of nuances and shades of gray, it'll be great.

Escalate or evade is another supremely nuanced decision with which I see you have grappled! There are just not other options! Mayhaps dogs could use a few ass kickings?!

Last edited by lambo_vt; 03-22-10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 05:16 AM
fmcooper

Bikes: 2009 Trek Madone 5.2 Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Team Ti, 2011 Motobecane Fly Team Titanium MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go back with the cops, get the guy ticketed for an unleashed dog (assuming that is a law where you live). Clearly you acted in self defense and he was negligent and obviously very aware that the dog was after you.
Old 03-22-10, 05:20 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
A local sheriff's deputy recommended carrying a loaded sidearm -- and recommended using it! (There are far too many loose dogs -- some of them vicious -- in this area for law enforcement to deal with.) That's rural Tennessee!

I find that a really good, deep-in-the-throat snarl works pretty well, though. Yesterday, a dog came on a dead run -- intercept course -- head down, ears back, "I'm going to eat you" snarl. . . . . I snarled back with authority and he stopped short and ran back home.
Old 03-22-10, 05:37 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...a snarling black missile locks on from my 10:00 o'clock...
...to open the gap as fido 180's trying to close on my six...
...fido hits the afterburners and closes rapidly at which point I arm the Halts, squeeze off 1 burst into fido's flight path...
...rode the downslope with the adrenaline rush to 39.8 mph...
Don't screw around with me Maverick. You're a hell of an instinctive pilot. Maybe too good. I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You are going to Top Gun.
Old 03-22-10, 05:46 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger
Don't screw around with me Maverick. You're a hell of an instinctive pilot. Maybe too good. I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You are going to Top Gun.
That was my first thought. I checked the avatar expecting to see AFB or USN or Civil Air Patrol.

I'd consult the local laws. SOunds like you're going to see that dog/owner frequently. Probably a good idea to know what your legal limits/protections are.
Old 03-22-10, 06:51 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dog ownership is a responsibility, not an entitlement.
Old 03-22-10, 07:10 AM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Escalate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
prestoneAntiCool3.jpg (86.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-22-10, 07:16 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Call the police, who won't do anything, then have your lawyer send a letter to the guy telling him law enforcement has been informed. I wouldn't mess with him personally.
Old 03-22-10, 09:14 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
start carrying a 9mm. maybe a .45

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.