Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

choosing a new saddle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

choosing a new saddle

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 01:58 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
choosing a new saddle

the saddle that came on my SS is okay for < 10 miles but after that, it starts putting a little more pressure on my taint than I would prefer. (even with bike shorts)

any tips for choosing a new saddle? I'm assuming I just need a longer cut out but it seems like a lot of money to spend for trial and error.

Note: no numbness or tingling has occurred, just uncomfortable pressure. It's as much of a distraction as anything.

Last edited by CNY James; 06-26-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 02:50 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There may be no other more diverse issue in cycling upgrades than saddles. What works for some might not work for you so the absolute practice of "try before you buy" must be followed or you are simply tossing the dice.
Old 06-26-10, 07:44 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like your present saddle has too much padding.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-26-10, 08:34 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm one of those Church of Brooks Saddles people that tend to annoy many cyclists, but my B-17 really is the most comfy saddle I've owned and the "break-in period" was nonexistent for me. Yes, they're expensive, but no more than any other high-zoot plastic racing saddles, and if you can find a good enough deal online, if you hate it, you can still pretty much get your investment back if you Ebay it.
Old 06-27-10, 09:22 AM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
I'm one of those Church of Brooks Saddles people that tend to annoy many cyclists, but my B-17 really is the most comfy saddle I've owned and the "break-in period" was nonexistent for me. Yes, they're expensive, but no more than any other high-zoot plastic racing saddles, and if you can find a good enough deal online, if you hate it, you can still pretty much get your investment back if you Ebay it.
I've ridden on the B17 a few times but never for long enough to really know but a lot of people sure swear by them... that many people cant be wrong. The price isnt that big of a deal if it takes a person 2-3 $50 saddles before finding the "right" one...
Old 06-27-10, 09:24 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and if you buy a Brooks saddle, get it from www.wallbike.com They have a 6 month no questions return policy.
Old 06-27-10, 09:33 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I do like Brooks a lot too, and have B-17s on the two of my bikes that I've had for more than a year. No complaints at all about Brooks. There's Selle Anatomica too, but I've never felt the need to try them out.

On my newly acquired tandem, though, I haven't been able to come up with the money to replace the saddle, and the current saddle (some sort of Specialized) is fine. Too much padding can be a problem, so I here, and I personally can't stand saddles with a high ridge down the middle or that are super narrow.

My point, though, is that bad adjustment or fit, or perhaps even posture, can be as much of a problem as a badly shaped saddle. Setting the seat-post high enough and the angle not too low, and getting enough reach to the bars (I'm fairly long) seem at least as important as the perfect saddle (which would definitely be a Brooks, at least for me).
Old 06-27-10, 07:18 PM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my seatpost doesnt adjust for angle... crappy stocker. so I guess I can consider getting a new seatpost instead/as well.

also, for the sake of saying it... the cut out on my geared road bike is at least another 1" longer/closer to the nose. never felt any discomfort riding it.

could be the angle, could be the cut out, could be the padding... either way I gotta do something, I enjoy riding the bike too much to end up putting it aside over an easily replaceable part.