Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Reward bike - What would you get?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 07:50 AM
BasicJim

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been working on the Mrs. for a while and I think I have her convinced that if I get below 200# (a long way off), I need a new bike. This seems like good incentive for me and she want's me to be alive for the kids graduation from High School, so she likes it as a carrot.

I think I can get her to agree to about a $3000 bike.

Just curious, what would you get if you had $3000 laying around and needed to get a new bike?

I am riding an entry level Trek 1000 right now and it's been a decent bike. I am holding it back, it's not holding me back. At 200#, I could actually start looking at LIGHT components rather than ones that can stand my weight. I'd love an Orca, but that's 5 bills and I can't swing that!!

Jim
Old 06-29-10, 08:32 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I'd get an LHT, custom front wheel w/ dynohub, great lighting, some top of the line racks and panniers, maybe a Brooks saddle, and a bunch of other random accessories. I'd use whatever $ I had leftover to finance a longer tour or I'd spend it on something for my wife to thank her for letting me spend so much $$$! But that's just me. I'm a commuter and budding touring cyclist. Sounds like you have different priorities.

Good luck getting down to 200 and have fun w/ the new bike whatever you get. Ride the heck out of it!
Old 06-29-10, 08:42 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/

https://waterfordbikes.com/now/home.p...ommand=showall

Get a custom steel or Ti bike... now THAT would be a reward. I'm not sure what the exact pricing would be, but it's really attractive when you compare it to some of those carbon bikes out there.
Old 06-29-10, 08:46 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'd upgrade parts on my current bikes and go for a long tour.

Old 06-29-10, 09:03 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd get a Boxer lugged frame/fork and transfer my current components.
Old 06-29-10, 09:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by BasicJim
I have been working on the Mrs. for a while and I think I have her convinced that if I get below 200# (a long way off), I need a new bike. This seems like good incentive for me and she want's me to be alive for the kids graduation from High School, so she likes it as a carrot.

Just curious, what would you get if you had $3000 laying around and needed to get a new bike?

I am riding an entry level Trek 1000 right now and it's been a decent bike. I am holding it back, it's not holding me back. At 200#, I could actually start looking at LIGHT components rather than ones that can stand my weight. I'd love an Orca, but that's 5 bills and I can't swing that!!

Jim
Expand your horizons. Rather than buy another road bike, find another bike to drool over. Get a commuter bike. Get a mountain bike. Get a touring bike (and go wandering on it). Life's too short to spend it on only one kind of riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-29-10, 09:24 AM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
Personally, I'd get an LHT, custom front wheel w/ dynohub, great lighting, some top of the line racks and panniers, maybe a Brooks saddle, and a bunch of other random accessories. I'd use whatever $ I had leftover to finance a longer tour or I'd spend it on something for my wife to thank her for letting me spend so much $$$! But that's just me. I'm a commuter and budding touring cyclist. Sounds like you have different priorities.

Good luck getting down to 200 and have fun w/ the new bike whatever you get. Ride the heck out of it!
Pretty much. Or I'd get a Rivendell Atlantis frame and build it up as I could. I'd really love a Rivendell Atlantis.

But I think I am to the point where I need to get a recumbent or other crank-forward bike to feel comfortable, so that's what I'd really get. I don't know enough about them to have a dream model yet, but a Greenspeed or ICE Trike would be rad.
Old 06-29-10, 10:56 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BasicJim

Jim
Something custom... I would stay away from the stock brands Trek and Specialized - they make good bikes but they are very overpriced. And paying $5000 for an Orbea? Foolish when for $3500 - 4500 you can get a custom Ti bike (maybe alittle more if you opt for pricy wheels).

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-29-10, 11:00 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW in 3 weeks (I think) I will be picking up my first custom bike - a Landshark. The builder (John Slawta) is painting it this week (customer paint design - very cool). I have my own wheels (Chris King hubs/Mavic rims) and some of the components (10 speed Ultegra) but will be adding a new crank (Dura Ace) and rear derailleur and cassette (Sram - mountain bike gearing because I weill use the bike touring) - the entire bike will end up costing me around $4300. It will most likely last me a lifetime. I just hope I am still riding! This is my reward for riding over 35 years!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-29-10, 11:09 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
And paying $5000 for an Orbea? Foolish when for $3500 - 4500 you can get a custom Ti bike
The only thing "foolish" here is imposing your own opinions on others while calling the opposition foolish.
Old 06-29-10, 11:11 AM
Brightwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you'd love an Orca, just hunt for a deal on a demo/last years model. Some good deals out there. I looked at an Orca this week that was discounted by almost $2k. Sweet ride, but wrong size for me.
Old 06-29-10, 11:16 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
The only thing "foolish" here is imposing your own opinions on others while calling the opposition foolish.
I apologize - you are right... I use much too strong language to express my views. I should have said It doesn't make sense to me to pay that sort of money when one can get a custom bike for less.

Old 06-29-10, 11:19 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Myself, I'd spend $2,000 and spend the other $1000 on my wife. That's only if my bikes were broken and I needed another. MY current bikes were less than $2000 and they are more than fine for my style.

Anything over $2,000 would be too much bike for my abilities. Honeslty, after sitting on a $2000 bike for a hundred miles wouldn't feel much different than sitting on a $3000 bike for a hundred miles after I add my favorite seat and build my favorite wheels for the bike.
Old 06-29-10, 11:29 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beanz you are right - my Lemond Zurich (which I bought in 2002 for around $1700) has been a good bike and well suited for my abilities - it is foolish of me to buy the new bike - I seldom spend on myself like that. I don't have a new car (mine's 14 years old), I don't have new electronics (no flat screen TV yet, an old, slow computer), I have no fancy jewelry or clothes... this is it, my one indulgence. No doubt I will regret the money at some point.

Old 06-29-10, 11:37 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Mercian Vincitore. Using my components.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 06-29-10, 11:39 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Beanz you are right - my Lemond Zurich (which I bought in 2002 for around $1700) has been a good bike and well suited for my abilities - it is foolish of me to buy the new bike - I seldom spend on myself like that. I don't have a new car (mine's 14 years old), I don't have new electronics (no flat screen TV yet, an old, slow computer), I have no fancy jewelry or clothes... this is it, my one indulgence. No doubt I will regret the money at some point.
No, not foolish, rewarding! I'm just the type of guy that feels good on just about any decent quality product. I don't care about the brand or color of my bike, as long as I keep it running smoothly. I feel more the physical workout of my legs spinning, the wind in my ears, the rider's high type elements of riding.

But I can see why another rider would want the personal aspect of a custom made bike. The smoothness of the steel or carbon, the personal paint scheme. Nothing foolish about that. Just like I said, I don't know if my bike is yellow or orange once I start riding.

I'm one of them simple dudes. Lay me down a blanket in the sand, rub suntan oil on me, blindfold me and I won't know if I'm at Huntington Beach or in Hawaii! Either way, I wouldn't care!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-29-10 at 11:40 AM. Reason: still can't type for beanz!
Old 06-29-10, 11:58 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how old are your cars? You must have some vices....

Old 06-29-10, 12:08 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Pam, his sole vice is chasing Mrs Beanz with a camera.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-29-10, 12:18 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Pam, his sole vice is chasing Mrs Beanz with a camera.

At least it's Mrs. Beanz and not some other cute little thing's booty. I say that's a good thing!

Old 06-29-10, 12:34 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
But I can see why another rider would want the personal aspect of a custom made bike. The smoothness of the steel or carbon, the personal paint scheme. Nothing foolish about that.
It's not so much that... but why lay out wads of cash for an off-the-shelf frame that only comes in 3 sizes when you can get exactly what you want *for less money*.

I'm riding on a 20-25 year old Ti frame with no decals... if it weren't for the crappy square taper BB I'd probably keep riding on it for the next 25 years too.
Old 06-29-10, 12:47 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
if it weren't for the crappy square taper BB I'd probably keep riding on it for the next 25 years too.
You know you can replace that, right?
Old 06-29-10, 12:55 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Get the bike that makes your heart race, not from effort, but from LUST!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-29-10, 01:03 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So how old are your cars? You must have some vices....
I drive a 2001 Chevy Silverado shortbed, original owner. My thing is to keep things nice for as long as possible. Plenty of people think my tuck is new even after 9 years. Wel lthat was until about a month ago in the rain. I told Gina to take my truck to work since she drives the fwy and figured it would be safer if some "dummy" was to lose control and hit her (She drives a Neon). Guess what!

She did a solo spin on the fwy and hit my bumper against a guardrail! You can see where it separated the black cover from the front bumper. Thank goodness it was only the corner of the bumper!...that's it, now I'm going to be in a bad mood alll day!

I took it in for a recal on the tailgate cables couple years back. The service person was shocked that I had no dings or dents.

That's my thang, taking car of my thangs! Other riders think my 1998 tandem is still new.

My Poor bumper!
Old 06-29-10, 01:05 PM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You can take the UBI framebuilding course and ride a custom you built yourself!
Old 06-29-10, 01:11 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
At least it's Mrs. Beanz and not some other cute little thing's booty. I say that's a good thing!
Ya guys got me!.....Mrs Beanz plays dingy at times but let's just say, a smart woman does not need to worry about her man wandering!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.