Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmet Mirrors Input: Vented helmet mounting

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 05:52 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I ride in suburban roads and in a less bike-friendly metropolitan area. It helps, with more automobile traffic, to have a mirror, and I like helmet mirrors for a few reasons. What I’m looking for in input is:

1.) Mirror recommendations for a vented helmet (min is a Trek brand helmet 106_3979.jpg Photo by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket) Here is an album, if extra pictures would be helpful Trek Helmet Exterior Photos by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket (first should probably suffice).

2.) Input about securely mounting a helmet mirror to a helmet. EDITED: Should have initially included that, at your convenience, if you could also include pictures to show how you mounted it, that would help, to give me a better picture (pun intended) of how people are mounting it.

What I’ve gathered from looking at various threads: I’d say about 90% of the posts I see don’t give much depth at all about those key variables. All most posts say, essentially are: “I like x mirror, it’s been great.” Some are helpful, but may leave out key information I’m looking for. I’d rather get more input to weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision than to just buy different mirrors (don't have a lot of money) and hope they work, with no to limited input. I know it's "just a mirror" but I find it helps with safety, gives greater peace of mind, and I can again, avoid wasting money on a mirror that may not work out.

---> NOTE<---: To save my time and your time, I am not interested in receiving input in this particular thread about the following:

1.) Your experience/opinion about not using a mirror
2.) That I should try a handlebar mirror or sunglass/eyeglass mirror
3.) Anything else not regarding a helmet mirror, its function, performance, or secure mounting.

My experience with the 3rd Eye Pro Helmet Mirror

With that said, I picked up a 3rd eye pro helmet mirror from a LBS at least about 2-4 years ago and have been using it since. Like many people, you may have found it to be a little sub-standard in one key area—mounting security, if you have used one more long-term (at least a year). It is not really designed for the vented type of helmet. Does it work OK? It’s not bad. The mounting system is again, not really designed for such helmets I use and want to finally try something different.

What I’d like in a helmet mirror

Secure mounting: I’d rather avoid tape, glue, etc. and using one or more of snapping the mount body onto a helmet, zip ties, velcro, etc., as the main way to secure a mirror to some place on a helmet (helmet body, visor). If I do use tape or the like, I'd prefer it as much more supplemental, but again, would rather not use it.

High quality/durability of the overall product:
I also don’t want to worry about the actual mirror falling off, as I’ve read others mention about helmet mirrors. So if you either rarely use your helmet/mirror (say an hour a month) or have less than a year of use as opposed to more long-term usage, then make that note. If there is a particular mirror or mirrors you’ve used and found them to be problematic, share that please.

Adjustability to an extent: Mirror shapes and placement points on various helmets may vary enough to render a helmet mirror not as effective if it lacks as much adjustability as other mirrors. Ultimately, I’d like the mirror angle to have enough adjustability to work on virtually any helmet.

What would also be nice, but not necessary

Adjustable arm angle: Not necessary, but would be nice. A mirror that can remain on the helmet and stored in a backpack if need be, for commuting for example. This is not something I need often, but one nice feature of the 3rd eye pro helmet mirror is that it can rotate near the mounting area, just below on a swivel, to create a different angle. Here are some pictures that show the mirror more flush with the helmet. 106_4126.jpg Photo by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket 106_4123.jpg Photo by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by DTownDave22; 06-08-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 07:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Have used a Take a Look mirror on the visor of my Bell Metro for several years. Secured by the mounting clip and a small zip tie - drilled a small hole in the visor.
Works well.
Old 06-06-14, 08:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Safe Zone mirror from EVT uses Zip ties around a helmet rib . Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror
Old 06-06-14, 11:30 PM
HvPnyrs

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post #2 above ,
Have the "Original Take A Look" , visor mounted on a Bell Metro as well, did not need to drill, used the hole provided at the outer corner of the visor.
The "Compact Take A Look" is visor mounted on the Giro Pneumo, single tie wrapped in the middle of the 3 prong clip.

Last edited by HvPnyrs; 06-06-14 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 11:48 PM
HvPnyrs

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will add that I feel the T.A.L. ABSOLUTELY indispensable for my 30+ mi. round trip, 4 day a week, year round commute.
Old 06-07-14, 12:17 AM
gman214

Bikes: Breezer Storm Comp 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Safe Zone Mirror. Best purchase since I started biking!
Old 06-07-14, 12:28 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Safe Zone Mirror is quality, backed up with great customer service. My problem with the mirror and all the others I have tried is one of focal length. I like the idea of a helmet mounted mirror, but I could not get one to work for me. I've also tried the take a look and third eye. The Safe Zone Mirror came the closest to satisfying me. My last club ride, 3 other riders had the Safe Zone Mirror, they all were about my age ( 60 + ) and they all liked it. Just wish I could get used to it.
Old 06-07-14, 12:33 AM
yote223

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTownDave22
I ride in suburban roads and in a less bike-friendly metropolitan area. It helps, with more automobile traffic, to have a mirror, and I like helmet mirrors for a few reasons. What I’m looking for in input is:

1.) Mirror recommendations for a vented helmet (min is a Trek brand helmet 106_3979.jpg Photo by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket) Here is an album, if extra pictures would be helpful Trek Helmet Exterior Photos by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket (first should probably suffice).

2.) Input about securely mounting a helmet mirror to a helmet.

What I’ve gathered from looking at various threads: I’d say about 90% of the posts I see don’t give much depth at all about those key variables. All most posts say, essentially are: “I like x mirror, it’s been great.” Some are helpful, but may leave out key information I’m looking for. I’d rather get more input to weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision than to just buy different mirrors (don't have a lot of money) and hope they work, with no to limited input. I know it's "just a mirror" but I find it helps with safety, gives greater peace of mind, and I can again, avoid wasting money on a mirror that may not work out.

NOTE: To save my time and your time, I am not interested in receiving input in this particular thread about the following:

1.) Your experience/opinion about not using a mirror
2.) That I should try a handlebar mirror or sunglass/eyeglass mirror
3.) Anything else not regarding a helmet mirror, its function, performance, or secure mounting.

My experience with the 3rd Eye Pro Helmet Mirror

With that said, I picked up a 3rd eye pro helmet mirror from a LBS at least about 2-4 years ago and have been using it since. Like many people, you may have found it to be a little sub-standard in one key area—mounting security, if you have used one more long-term (at least a year). It is not really designed for the vented type of helmet. Does it work OK? It’s not bad. The mounting system is again, not really designed for such helmets I use and want to finally try something different.

What I’d like in a helmet mirror

Secure mounting: I’d rather avoid tape, glue, etc. and using one or more of snapping the mount body onto a helmet, zip ties, velcro, etc., as the main way to secure a mirror to some place on a helmet (helmet body, visor). If I do use tape or the like, I'd prefer it as much more supplemental, but again, would rather not use it.

High quality/durability of the overall product:
I also don’t want to worry about the actual mirror falling off, as I’ve read others mention about helmet mirrors. So if you either rarely use your helmet/mirror (say an hour a month) or have less than a year of use as opposed to more long-term usage, then make that note. If there is a particular mirror or mirrors you’ve used and found them to be problematic, share that please.

Adjustability to an extent: Mirror shapes and placement points on various helmets may vary enough to render a helmet mirror not as effective if it lacks as much adjustability as other mirrors. Ultimately, I’d like the mirror angle to have enough adjustability to work on virtually any helmet.

What would also be nice, but not necessary

Adjustable arm angle: Not necessary, but would be nice. A mirror that can remain on the helmet and stored in a backpack if need be, for commuting for example. This is not something I need often, but one nice feature of the 3rd eye pro helmet mirror is that it can rotate near the mounting area, just below on a swivel, to create a different angle. Here are some pictures that show the mirror more flush with the helmet. 106_4126.jpg Photo by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket 106_4123.jpg Photo by DJBucs2005 | Photobucket

Thanks for your time!
Just lose the helmet and you won't have to worry about the mirror. just my .02 worth.
Old 06-07-14, 08:07 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah. I like the Take-a-look too....
Old 06-07-14, 08:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
I've used Third Eye Pros for about 20 years now. The OEM adhesive isn't up to the task but you can easily replace it with 3-M Exterior mounting tape. The stuff is water proof and strong. You can get it at your local hardware store. I do trim the mounting pad on the mirror to conform with the vents on the helmet and I mount it behind the visor further back then you've mounted yours.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-07-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 08:58 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The best helmet mirror I ever had was made by an old fellow from (I think) Ohio. He made them using a bent spoke to clamp onto the bottom of a foam helmet. Stays secure, easy to adjust and stays adjusted. I doubt he's making them anymore because I'm old and he was older than me.

I've seen ads for a similar mirror from hubbubcustom.com. I haven't seen one in the flesh but, if I were buying a helmet mirror today, that's what I would order.
Old 06-07-14, 09:51 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
I've used the Third Eye mirror on the last several helmets. The mounting tape wasn't 100% secure, so I trimmed the mount to match the vent space then wrapped a zip-tie around it. They stay on for the life of the helmet. The upper joint (near the helmet) works loose over time, but a drop of sugerglue fixes that.

I should mention that the Safe Zone mirror is a built by a friend. I'll probably try one on the next helmet.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-07-14, 02:05 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The best helmet mirror I ever had was made by an old fellow from (I think) Ohio. He made them using a bent spoke to clamp onto the bottom of a foam helmet. Stays secure, easy to adjust and stays adjusted. I doubt he's making them anymore because I'm old and he was older than me.

I've seen ads for a similar mirror from hubbubcustom.com. I haven't seen one in the flesh but, if I were buying a helmet mirror today, that's what I would order.
Chuck Harris passed away in 2012: https://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...iast-dies.html
Old 06-07-14, 02:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Yup, Chuck Harris was the guy. Not only were his mirrors better than anything else that I've tried, they also cost less. He was enjoyable to talk with too.
Old 06-08-14, 08:44 AM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I've used the same Take a Look mirror on my last three helmets. It attaches securely to the visor, in my case no need for tape/Velcro/ties, etc.

Bike Peddler Take A Look Mirror at REI.com
Old 06-08-14, 09:04 AM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
Have used a Take a Look mirror on the visor of my Bell Metro for several years. Secured by the mounting clip and a small zip tie - drilled a small hole in the visor.
Works well.

Is it quite similar to this setup here with the Take a look mirror? Take a Look Mirrors by Bike Peddler | Calhoun Cycle Shopcast
Old 06-08-14, 09:08 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by DTownDave22
Is it quite similar to this setup here with the Take a look mirror? Take a Look Mirrors by Bike Peddler | Calhoun Cycle Shopcast
Yep, it's like that with addition of a small zip tie to keep the mirror from falling off, which was a rare occurrence prior to use of the zip.
Old 06-08-14, 09:33 AM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gman214
I have the Safe Zone Mirror. Best purchase since I started biking!

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Safe Zone mirror from EVT uses Zip ties around a helmet rib . Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror

Originally Posted by Northwestrider
The Safe Zone Mirror is quality, backed up with great customer service. My problem with the mirror and all the others I have tried is one of focal length. I like the idea of a helmet mounted mirror, but I could not get one to work for me. I've also tried the take a look and third eye. The Safe Zone Mirror came the closest to satisfying me. My last club ride, 3 other riders had the Safe Zone Mirror, they all were about my age ( 60 + ) and they all liked it. Just wish I could get used to it.

A few questions:

1.) How do you store your helmets? Upside down, hanging, or right side up? I keep an amber, daytime light on my helmet now since I ride in the roads and like to deviate from my relatively safe route and ride routes that are a little less safe, making such a light a little more warranted. Therefore, storing it upside down is not an option. I find keeping it right side up, on a stack of helmets, seems to work well. It approximates the shape of a head and helps prevent the mirror from hitting against the hard shelf surface I have it and the hats on. Does the Safe Zone mirror cause any problems with bumping against the surface if you are storing it right side up, against the flat surface you are storing it on?

2.) Size: One tradeoff, seemingly so, of this mirror, which I've come across, is the size. Do you ever store it in a backpack or in limited spacing, and if so, does the mirror's arm get compromised (damaged) or just simply needs to be readjusted?

3.) Zip ties: Do the zip ties cause any discomfort on your head and do they keep the mirror stable?

Lastly, regarding your experience with most mirrors, NWRider, I am sorry to hear that. Posts tend to be more concise and short, and I am not entirely familiar with focal length and I just can't comprehend most science. I say that first point regarding conciseness because cycling has several variables, and may vary enough from person to person; you didn't exactly expand and more completely describe what the problem was, especially in non-scientific terms.

If you are riding in heavy traffic, commuting, and ride more destination based as opposed to being able to have more freedom to choose where you ride, essentially, you may be riding in heavier, faster traffic, which I find using a mirror on typical American roads (especially main suburban roads, with 40 MPH speed limits and above, 2 lanes or more) to not really be that sufficient for making quick decisions about judging distance, if for example, you want to make a lane change on such roads when there is a notable but relatively small gap in traffic to make a turn at the upcoming intersection.

I primarily use my mirror as a means of keeping tabs on who's behind me, and will rely on it alone on roads/streets that have less of those risk variables (traffic volume, traffic speed, and lanes). Hope that makes sense and I'm not entirely certain you were talking about judging distance, but my best guess would be it is distance and/or how in focus an object appears to you in your mirror, at least for the initial (but critical, considering you are likely moving, few seconds) when you are switching your own vision from what's in front of you, to the reflected image in your mirror.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 06-08-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-08-14, 10:44 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I store my helmet with the Safe Zone Mirror like I store any other helmet. I does take a bit more space however, but it's not a problem at all.
Sure, it the helmet SZ mirror were to be bumped, it would requirer adjustment.
The zip ties are routed such that you don't fell them at all. No problem.
My focal length problem is my problem, it likely will not be a problem for you. On my last club ride, the 3 others that rode with this mirror , loved it.
There are enough riders out there now that own one of these mirrors, maybe you will find one that lets you try theirs.
As for helmet mounted mirrors go, IMO the Safe Zone mirror is as good as they get. For me however, I could not make it work well.
Old 06-08-14, 11:24 AM
gman214

Bikes: Breezer Storm Comp 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I secured the Safe Zone Mirror to the helmet with the zip ties supplied in the packaging. I removed the cushions to attach the zip ties to the bracket then placed them back. NO DISCOMFORT AT ALL! Most of the time I leave my helmet in the cargo net in the van. Other times it sits on a flat surface inside. The mirror doesn't move much. Put your helmet on, cup your hand to make a slight adjustment and you're ready to roll! It does take getting use too. But after a couple of rides, you'll do fine with it. I WANTED TO SEE BEHIND ME AND IT GIVES ME THAT!!
Old 06-08-14, 01:02 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Most of the riders I know use mirrors, they've all been riding for years and for thousands and thousands of miles, and they all use DIFFERENT mirrors. Some helmet, some eyeglass, some handlebar. Maybe there's some magic mirror out there that you haven't heard about, but quite likely, you'll have to try a variety and just pick the lesser of the evils.

My stoker uses a helmet mirror, but it's one that mounts on the visor, I believe, so if you don't use a visor, wouldn't work.
I tried one that glued to the helmet, and it vibrated too much. I tried a clamp-on style, but the helmet was tapered wrong where it needed to clamp, and it wouldn't go on at all. I currently use an eyeglass-mirror, but it needs a rubber band to keep it from going flying. It'll stay on fine unless you whack it with your hand while wiping sweat, and in that case, the rubber band keeps you from having to go back and pick it up off the road. So it's not perfect, but it's my choice of lesser-of-the-evils.

You may have to look into making your own if you just can't find anything at all usable.
Old 10-19-20, 06:07 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Not only does Safe Zone mirror allow you to mount it in the helmet ribs (is that what they're called?) but it's a great mirror. Secure mount. No wobble. Easy adjustment on the fly.

And the company's customer service can't be beat. They not only publish their email address (rare) and their phone number (unheard of nowdays!) but they respond!!! They fixed my issue immediately, no questions asked. I'm hooked on the product and on this company's attention to their customers.