Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks Cambium All Weather? Was there a need?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 10:20 AM
Plimogz
Global Warming Witness

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just received a promotional email from Brooks advertising their new 'All Weather' Cambium line of Saddles. From what I can tell, they replaced the cotton top of the previous models with a nylon top; maybe there's something else?

I had been under the impression that the rubber and cotton construction was already a more 'all weather' friendly design than their leather saddles, but this new product is making me wonder if the first Cambiums had some problems with usage in bad weather which I am unaware of.

Has anyone experienced fast wear of their original Cambium saddles which would explain the need for the revised models?
Old 09-20-17, 11:39 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I thought part of the appeal of Cambiums was lack of worry about the weather as well. However, I put a black Cambium on my bike in February and it is now a very light grey. I'll try and find photos. I love the seat, and it remains comfortable, but, for the price, I'm very surprised that it didn't hold it's color at all. I ride it almost daily, rain or shine, including some multi-day tours where it was outside 24/7, so I guess that's a factor, but really it's not remotely the color it was when it was new, and it was new earlier this year.
Old 09-20-17, 11:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Yeah, i saw that a few weeks ago- i figured it was because their previous product was complete garbage from a longevity perspective. I have a C17 and am slowly trolling ebay for another C17, so i clearly like them, but for the retail price- complete crap that the company has allowed so many to be sold how they are.

Brooks Introduces the All-Weather Cambium C15 | The Radavist

this article says the all weather version addresses the fast wearing cover and color problem.

I dont mind my black-gray c17 look. it should cost $80 less for being junk in terms of lasting quality, but i actually dont mind the look.
Old 09-20-17, 12:52 PM
Rob_E

Don't know if this really shows it, but, here's about 8 months of my Brooks. First is less than one month in, then 3 months in, and then the bottom two are from the last month.

Still comfortable. The material does seem to be showing a little wear, but it's holding on. But the color is gone. If it were five or ten years in, okay, but why sell a black seat that's light grey before you've had it a year? Just sell it as light grey so I'll know what I'm getting. Or whatever color it ends up being. I just hope it lasts, because if the material wears anywhere close to how fast the color has faded, I'll be ready for a new one soon. Way too soon given the price.

Still the most comfortable seat I've owned, but that doesn't mean I want to buy one every year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1595.jpg (97.5 KB, 715 views)
Old 09-20-17, 03:03 PM
Plimogz
Global Warming Witness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
[...] i figured it was because their previous product was complete garbage from a longevity perspective. I have a C17 and am slowly trolling ebay for another C17, so i clearly like them, but for the retail price- complete crap that the company has allowed so many to be sold how they are.
[...]
this article says the all weather version addresses the fast wearing cover and color problem.
[...]
If I am understanding you, the problems are fast wearing of the cotton top, and color fading?

Can you speak to what happens once the cover wears? are both issues cosmetic, or does the functionality also suffer from poor longevity?
Old 09-20-17, 03:19 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have 2 Cambium C17 carved i black (mnore of a dark grey)

super comfy and excellent for long distance .... if you register the serial number on the Brooks website, you get a 10 year guarantee

mine have had many miles in the dry and wet and still look good

I must say though that the new 'all weather' looks very nice and looks more 'qaulity'

------------------------------------------------

the old C17 Carved:

--------------------------------------

The new 'All weather':

Old 09-20-17, 03:48 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by dim
I have 2 Cambium C17 carved i black (mnore of a dark grey)

super comfy and excellent for long distance .... if you register the serial number on the Brooks website, you get a 10 year guarantee

mine have had many miles in the dry and wet and still look good

I must say though that the new 'all weather' looks very nice and looks more 'qaulity'
Not sure I prefer the black metal over the silver. I guess it will depend on whether or not this black saddle retains it's color. How long have you had yours?

I do think they are comfy. I am hopeful that the loss of color is the only problem I face because I don't want to continue my quest for a good seat. I don't think I registered mine. I better dig out that paperwork and see if it's still an option.

The all-weather version is less expensive, which bothers me. If they have more durable, less expensive materials on hand to make Cambium, why wouldn't they all be "all weather" unless the new materials make them undesirable in some other way like comfort or abrasion? I guess time will tell. Until then, my backside is certainly happy with my C17. It's only my eyes that point out that it should probably not have completely changed color in 8 months.
Old 09-20-17, 04:37 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
My previous "slate" C17 faded a lot and the cotton frayed at the edges. A cut mysteriously developed at the nose. Unfortunately I had not registered it so not covered by warranty. I've transferred that one to my Litespeed. The faded color goes better with the grey titanium.

Replaced it with a black one which has held up better. It's not the new "all weather" C17 but the top was sealed with some kind of shiny finish that was not there on the original slate saddle. It has faded slightly as you can see in the photo. This one has been duly registered so I'll trade it in for the new style if it fails!

edit- I did successfully dye the slate saddle black as suggested by @jonc123 on another thread but it bleached right back to its original appearance.
Attached Images
Slate C17.jpg (98.3 KB, 649 views)
Black C17.jpg (98.0 KB, 642 views)

Last edited by BobG; 09-20-17 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 05:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Italian company that bought Brooks .. has expanded their product line up.. Cambium Cotton Duck top and the nylon all weather..
the aluminum end parts probably cost more to make, so there will be a price differential.. ..in the parallel product lines..

Selle Royale, makes a lot of saddles under their own marque, they also own the Fizik company..

I have 3 of the Fizik saddles no longer made.. all have a synthetic covering ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-09-18 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 08:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
I ordered a C17 this week, and went with the standard (old) model. It's lighter, and I have more confidence in the steel undercarriage than in the new fiberglass rails. I don't leave my bike out in the sun much (without my ass covering it), so I'm not too worried about fading.
Old 09-22-17, 03:26 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
You have to admire the marketing savvy if nothing else. The opportunity for an honest admission that the previous product was sub-par in some areas, turns into the chance to pay even more for a product which actually meets the quality standard Brooks have always claimed to offer. I'm sure a career in politics awaits their marketing manager.
Old 09-22-17, 03:56 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
To be fair, is anyone monitoring other seat manufacturers to see how often they rotate/change their saddle design?
I have a C17 natural and it looks more or less the same. I expect it to appear somewhat worn with use.
Old 09-27-17, 05:28 AM
Plimogz
Global Warming Witness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
To be fair, is anyone monitoring other seat manufacturers to see how often they rotate/change their saddle design?
I have a C17 natural and it looks more or less the same. I expect it to appear somewhat worn with use.
If the durability issues are purely cosmetic, I could not care less. If, on the other hand, the original model has some design flaw which leads to structural failure or similar functional failing, that would bother me.

I only ever use mine for long, wet rides; something I don't often do. But given that my usage of the saddle is basically limited to the precise situation one would expect to be addressed by an 'all weather' product revision, I wondered if there was a widespread problem which I wasn't yet seeing but should be expecting down the line.
Old 09-27-17, 11:47 AM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
My previous "slate" C17 faded a lot and the cotton frayed at the edges. A cut mysteriously developed at the nose. Unfortunately I had not registered it so not covered by warranty. I've transferred that one to my Litespeed. The faded color goes better with the grey titanium.

Replaced it with a black one which has held up better. It's not the new "all weather" C17 but the top was sealed with some kind of shiny finish that was not there on the original slate saddle. It has faded slightly as you can see in the photo. This one has been duly registered so I'll trade it in for the new style if it fails!

edit- I did successfully dye the slate saddle black as suggested by @jonc123 on another thread but it bleached right back to its original appearance.
Is your saddle "nude" or black on the bottom? I noticed some of the black ones at first were nude, then later black.
Old 09-27-17, 03:29 PM
BobG

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Is your saddle "nude" or black on the bottom?
Jon, My older slate saddle is "nude" on the bottom. The new black one is black on the bottom.
Old 09-27-17, 05:56 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I've been riding a C17 for about 2 years. A bit of wear is visible, but I think it's holding up quite well.
Old 09-27-17, 06:26 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Plimogz
If the durability issues are purely cosmetic, I could not care less. If, on the other hand, the original model has some design flaw which leads to structural failure or similar functional failing, that would bother me.

I only ever use mine for long, wet rides; something I don't often do. But given that my usage of the saddle is basically limited to the precise situation one would expect to be addressed by an 'all weather' product revision, I wondered if there was a widespread problem which I wasn't yet seeing but should be expecting down the line.
Yeah.. I don't know.

Perhaps it was an initial run that they then corrected. Not sure how long they have been around.
When I look at mine it's pretty basic and can't see too many places to fail. I have steel rails.
Old 04-09-18, 07:37 AM
bockers

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bit of a thread resurrection but i had to add my experiences.

I am a plus size cyclist, so any saddle has to be comfy and accept abuse. I have had 2 Cambiums, one slate and one black. They have been on my bikes for over two years of commuting and general riding over 3000 miles. Iv'e not notice either of them fading, one has a scuff from crash damage but that has not got worse. There are no other signs of wear.

I just got my first MTB and added the new All weather Cambium and it suit the MTB well. I assume it is for MTB and wet commuting rides at the top face does not hold water like the standard ones do(although they get damp rather than wet).

Prior to Brooks Cambiums I was on Turbomatic 4s but find the brooks far more comfy.
Old 04-09-18, 10:33 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I am wondering if the new nylon top is a bit more slick, helping to emulate on of the qualities a lot of people liked about their leather saddles. Some people appreciated the slickness along the sides of the saddle so their legs weren't irritated, or shorts didn't wear, but instead slid over the leather nicely.
Old 04-09-18, 10:49 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I’ll sell my lightly used C-17 if anyone is interested. Still original color. Found it to be uncomfortable. PM me.
Old 05-12-21, 12:17 PM
Tophero1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super old thread, but still relevant since now in 2021 there are still C17 (non all weather) standard versions being sold with the Canvas top and tan rubber underside.

For purposes of clarity moving forward, I will refer to the two types as "standard" and "all weather"

As someone who owns 2 C15 "all weather" versions, and previously owned a C17 "standard" version years ago (eventually stolen with a bike)

I have to say, I prefer the "standard" version with the canvas top texture and am thrilled they are still available. At least for some of my purposes.

While my C15 "all weather" in all black looks brilliant and clean on my road bike, the "standard" version with shiny metal hardware and canvas has a lot more character on my steel hardtail mountain bike.

I remember my previous C17 "standard version" building up some wear and fading on the canvas, and this is was actually the best part. It had personal character and didn't resemble a clean peace of all black rubber. In fact I am actually looking forward to the wear this saddle will exhibit overtime. Its closer to what I loved about my way long ago previous leather B17 and B15 leather saddles. They were very personal in their patina.

Its likely this "standard" C17 saddle will not last as long as an "all weather version, but I am confident it will last far longer than I require to get my moneys worth out of it.

Its also 40 grams-ish lighter. And while im riding steel bikes and by no means a weight weeny, I never mind a little less weight even if it doesn't factor into my decision making.

If I was hesitant first time buyer of a cambium saddle, the "all weather" might make more sense for re-sale on the used market. As my C15 all weather saddles still look brand new after thousands of miles. I could probably sell them for a next to new price. This won't be the case with the standard version.

That said, I know what the Cambium saddles ride like and will have no intention of selling it down the road, so im ok with this.

The final thing to consider is clothing wear. Ive heard reports of the standard version wearing through clothing due to the rougher canvas texture. This makes sense as it is not as smooth as the "all weather" version. That said, the complaints I've heard are with people wearing jeans and using this as a commuter saddle on road-ish bikes. So in a higher cadence, more of a fixed position, and wearing an also textured material.

For mountain biking and bike packing, I tend to spend more time out of the saddle and in a variety of positions. So less friction on a fixed point. I also ride with a nylon type tech short, which likely won't be as problematic as jeans. Eventually im sure my tech shorts will wear out, and this might be at a faster rate then the "all weather" version. But thats something im prepared to live with.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone on the fence.
Likes For Tophero1:
Old 05-12-21, 05:30 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 193 Posts
Can someone comment on the newer Cambium vs. a standard B17, as to the feel and any other differences noted ? (I realize this is totally subjective)
Old 05-12-21, 05:44 PM
Tophero1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robow
Can someone comment on the newer Cambium vs. a standard B17, as to the feel and any other differences noted ? (I realize this is totally subjective)
I prefer the B17 in terms of pure comfort. Ive always liked the feel and I love that its a little slippery, which makes it easy to shift positions on a long road ride.
There is a break in period.

My current B17 has become a paperweight due to it cracking from abuse over the years. A few long rainy rides when you dont stay on top of leather care, this is what you get.
That said, it gave me a solid decade + of use.
I'll certainly buy another and I considered a new one for my current steel hardtail.
The main reason I went with the C17 is because I wanted something little more care free for bike packing trips.

Both versions have pros in cons in both comfort, aesthetics and durability. I think you just need to decide whats most important for your needs.

As far as used or new goes. I'd certainly buy a used Cambium saddle thats in good shape.
I would probably never buy a used B17 since the whole point of this saddle (IMO) is the very personal break in.
Old 05-14-21, 12:53 AM
bolgre11

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Schwinn LeTour, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Trek 560, 1985 Trek 510, 1985 Trek 720, 1992 Trek T100, 1993 Trek 990

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
If you're a heavier rider you may find that the cambium tends to flex significantly more than a B17 in use.

I'm 6'2" and >230lb, and found that the very lightly used cambium I bought from CL felt way more flexible than the B17 and Team Pros I was used to.

Ended up selling it because I wasn't a fan of that much give, but did really appreciate the utility of it for an all-weather commuter.

For what it's worth, all of the more normal-sized folks I know who deal with bikes professionally tend to keep cambium saddles on their get-around and commuter bikes vs leather if they go with a Brooks.