Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Whisky Parts Co - No.9 Road Plus fork (2018)

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 01-19-18, 12:40 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Whisky has a new fork this year that looks interesting. I am wondering if anyone has tested this, or will be soon?

I currently have a No.9 TA fork from a few years ago, but the tire clearance is a bit tight even for a Conti 4K 28mm tire (measures more like 32mm). This new 2018 RD+ fork has a lot more clearance.

My No.9 is a 49mm rake, 367mm A-C. This new RD+ fork is 51mm rake, 383mm A-C. Running this diff through a trail calculator while estimating a slightly slacker headtube angle due to the 1.6cm increased A-C length, the RD+ would be slightly more trail than my 49mm rake fork, but still very much in the amount I prefer.

For max rotor size, the RD+ is rated at 160mm. The photos show the fork leg inside is fairly straight so physically it might clear a lot bigger. However Whisky says (I called their Support #) they are more concerned about torque limits and so only certify it for 160mm. In comparison, our older No.9 can accept a 203mm rotor, though I don't recall what the rated max size was.

The RD+ is rated for "Condition 2" (gravel), so it should be stronger than a plain road (Condition 1) fork. Whisky doesn't post max weight ratings, so their Support only suggests a "typical" max in the order of 300-350lbs.

No.9 RD+ | Whisky Parts Co

Steerer Type 1 1/2" Tapered
Steerer Length 350 mm
Fork Length 383 mm
Material Carbon
Rake 51 mm
Crown Race 40 mm
Axle 12 mm x 100 mm
ASTM Rating Condition 2
Brake Type 140mm Flat Mount
Max Rotor 160 mm
Fender Mounts Yes
Max Tire 700c x 38 mm or 650b x 47 mm
Weight 440 g
Part Number FK9922

Last edited by twocicle; 01-19-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 01:57 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I'm trying to pick a fork and I was wondering if anyone had an update on this fork to share?
Old 01-27-19, 08:41 AM
EthanBixby

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have a Whisky #9 CX on our Granite Tandem Design, and after about 3000 miles it's been fine. It's pretty similar to the new #9 RD, except it takes wider tires, different rake and length, and 10g heavier.
EB
Old 03-23-19, 01:52 PM
colotandem

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EthanBixby
We have a Whisky #9 CX on our Granite Tandem Design, and after about 3000 miles it's been fine. It's pretty similar to the new #9 RD, except it takes wider tires, different rake and length, and 10g heavier.
EB
what rotor size are you using with that fork? Also, what brakes?
Old 03-24-19, 04:15 PM
tkramer
TKramer

Bikes: Paketa V2r, Co-motion Equator Co-pilot, Bingham BUILT. tandem

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might also want to consider the CoLab cross fork. It has been designed and tested for tandem loads. Just had a bike built with one. With the 700c x 38mm Panaracer Gravel King's (40mm wide measured) there's still plenty of clearance even for mud guards. It can run a 180mm rotor with an adaptor - plenty big with hydraulic calipers.
Old 03-24-19, 07:15 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tkramer
You might also want to consider the CoLab cross fork. It has been designed and tested for tandem loads. Just had a bike built with one. With the 700c x 38mm Panaracer Gravel King's (40mm wide measured) there's still plenty of clearance even for mud guards. It can run a 180mm rotor with an adaptor - plenty big with hydraulic calipers.
Looks very interesting. Can you share some photos please. The one on their website does not have much detail.
Old 03-24-19, 07:59 PM
EthanBixby

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colotandem

what rotor size are you using with that fork? Also, what brakes?
We are running a 183mm rotor, originally a Hope. But the rivets interfered ever so slightly with the Sram eTap hydraulic brakes, so we have swaped out to a Sram rotor. I am considering trying a DP floating rotor soon.
EB
Old 03-26-19, 10:38 AM
tkramer
TKramer

Bikes: Paketa V2r, Co-motion Equator Co-pilot, Bingham BUILT. tandem

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeinxs
Looks very interesting. Can you share some photos please. The one on their website does not have much detail.

CoLab fork clearance with Panaracer GravelKing 700 x 38 tires.

Nearly 12mm clearance at the sidewalls.

180mm rotor with dog bone adapter.

Routing for Dyno hub.