Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for recommendations: gravel routes near Moab

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 04:42 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Each year our club goes out to Moab for a long weekend. While some bring mtn bikes and others road, I want to offer some gravel options this year.
We're looking for one-day routes that will be 30-50 miles, loops or out-and-back where we can either ride from Moab itself or can drive a short distance to a parking location and ride.

One road I've found that seems promising is Hurrah Pass, which seems to be an easy jeep road with some climbing. Our club is from Boulder so we don't mind climbing

Any routes or areas to check out? They don't need to be dirt roads, but shouldn't really be mountain bike trails either.
Old 01-31-19, 04:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Island in the Sky to Moab is about 40 miles or so. You could climb up the paved road to the Natl park entrance and then bike down via the mostly gravel road through Dead Horse Point SP. Then there is the White Rim Road. Bring some water...
Old 02-04-19, 01:49 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Schaefer trail. The big steep but clean dirt road you'd take to get down to Moses and Zeus. Once down, there are lots of dirt options around. Not too sandy if memory serves me right.

Being from Boulder, I can assume at least half of your group has climbed Primrose Dihedrals, so they will know where I'm talking about.