Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 02-18-19, 08:03 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by SoberPanda
So coming back to DS4, one obvious upgrade I can think of is getting thinner tires, Have any of you done that? I mostly ride on roads so how thin can I get? Is the trade off between less rolling resistance and less comfort worth a try?
They're worth a try, to see if you like how they feel (the thinner tires), but I don't think you'll be measurably faster with them. It's been demonstrated through various instrumented testing that thin tires with high pressure can help on glass-smooth surfaces (like velodromes or super smooth asphalt), but the benefits break down pretty quick when you add much texture to the surface (as with most asphalt and concrete, and certainly gravel).

If you want more speed and ride mostly on smooth roads only, I think your biggest bang for the buck will be swapping to a suspension-corrected rigid fork. The stock fork is pretty heavy, which dampens response, makes it harder to accelerate, etc. Your bike will feel completely different with a rigid fork (for the better, if you're after speed and agility).

Last edited by hokiefyd; 02-18-19 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 08:54 AM
SoberPanda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
They're worth a try, to see if you like how they feel (the thinner tires), but I don't think you'll be measurably faster with them. It's been demonstrated through various instrumented testing that thin tires with high pressure can help on glass-smooth surfaces (like velodromes or super smooth asphalt), but the benefits break down pretty quick when you add much texture to the surface (as with most asphalt and concrete, and certainly gravel).

If you want more speed and ride mostly on smooth roads only, I think your biggest bang for the buck will be swapping to a suspension-corrected rigid fork. The stock fork is pretty heavy, which dampens response, makes it harder to accelerate, etc. Your bike will feel completely different with a rigid fork (for the better, if you're after speed and agility).
That's a good thought but unfortunately the road condition around me isn't that great so the suspension does help.
Can you recommend some thinner tire?
Old 02-18-19, 09:40 AM
hokiefyd 

I cannot; I don't have experience with tires less than about 35mm. I have 2" / 50mm tires on my Giant Roam (same concept as Trek DS), the same Schwalbe Hurricanes that Jerry mentioned above. They have a completely slick center tread, so they roll very smooth and fast (for me). If your roads are such that you really want the suspension for comfort; I suspect you will not be happy with narrow tires (and they won't be of help on surfaces that rough anyway). You can run tires like the Hurricane at lower pressures and just float over road imperfections that a narrower tire with higher pressure will bounce over.

IMG_20180530_170543731 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180530_170330496 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Of course, only you can decide what compromise works for you. Schwalbe and Continental are both leading bicycle tire manufacturers, and both offer quality tires. Of course, there are a LOT of good tire manufacturers out there...it just depends on what's available to you locally or online.
Old 02-18-19, 02:22 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
That's a good thought but unfortunately the road condition around me isn't that great so the suspension does help.
You don't necessarily want a 'thinner' tire; you want a better tire if your objective is to reduce rolling resistance/increase 'speed' for a given effort.

Lower rolling resistance is a product of better tire materials, design, construction, tread. If you replaced the stock 38mm Bontragers on your bike (I'm assuming that's what is on there) with a set of these -- https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...8-barlow-pass/ -- in either version, the difference would be quite noticeable. Same width; much 'faster' tire.
Old 02-19-19, 12:52 AM
SoberPanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=badger1;20800906]You don't necessarily want a 'thinner' tire; you want a better tire if your objective is to reduce rolling resistance/increase 'speed' for a given effort.

Thanks, That tire has good reviews but don't think these are available in Mumbai. During my research I have found 'SPECIALIZED ALL CONDITION ARMADILLO ELITE 700C FOLDABLE'. Do you think these will help? Also, will they fit?
Old 02-21-19, 05:41 PM
BeachBunny

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey DS people. I’m still loving my DS4 that I bought last year. I have now ridden it enough to know that I would like to change my riding position a bit. I would like to sit up straighter and take some of the pressure off my hands. I would like to get some riser bars. Has anyone done this? I was looking at the Race Face ones but I have no idea what to choose. This is probably one of those “....talk to the LBS guys” situations. I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people had any advice ? Has anyone got a recommendation on quality bars?
Old 02-22-19, 07:33 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
Hey DS people. I’m still loving my DS4 that I bought last year. I have now ridden it enough to know that I would like to change my riding position a bit. I would like to sit up straighter and take some of the pressure off my hands. I would like to get some riser bars. Has anyone done this? I was looking at the Race Face ones but I have no idea what to choose. This is probably one of those “....talk to the LBS guys” situations. I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people had any advice ? Has anyone got a recommendation on quality bars?
You could also change your stem, if you haven't done that already. If you like the general shape and width of your handlebar, but just want it higher...check out a taller or more angled stem. Or even a stem extension. Yes, the local bike shop folks would definitely be able to help you there.

(Another option is a bar that sweeps further back. It wouldn't necessarily be higher, but your hands would be further back, making you sit more upright. It's a different feel for sure -- something probably to test ride first.)
Old 02-22-19, 07:59 AM
BeachBunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply hokiefyd. I realize this is a subjective problem and will definitely talk to my LBS. I did change out my stem, but maybe not enough. I went from a 90mm 7 degree to an 80mm 17 degree one. As well as bringing the bars up and a little closer, I’m interested in the idea that new bars could also change the angle of my wrists slightly.

Do bike shops allow test rides of different bar styles? I’ve been through this with my motorcycle. I had to choose a set of bars based on the specs and reviews of people who had them. I was not able to test ride. The bars I ended up with are fine, but I could have done better I think. On my bicycle, I would like to get it right the first time.
Old 02-22-19, 02:56 PM
hokiefyd 

I have 70mm 35 degree stems on many of my bikes. Fairly short and fairly tall. They're pretty inexpensive online, and probably worth a try.
Old 02-24-19, 06:35 AM
BeachBunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I’ll take a look at that.
Old 02-25-19, 01:06 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Bikes: Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Guys.
I assume you meant clipless, I do use them. I do see some benefit in sprints, but it has only been some time. I am concentrating on not dying on steep climbs so dont think I use the advantage of clipless on climbs yet. I do wear proper clothing as well. Changing the rim and tires sounds like a big investment, but I take it the benefits are proportional according to you. Would changing just the tires have very minimal impact?
Also, I wanted to know, does locking out the suspension when there are some patches of bad road, cause any harm to the suspension?
Yes I meant clipless lol. The rims are an investment much like anything you get for the bike. I’ll let you know soon if they really do make a difference on the Ds as I’ve just ordered some DT Swiss xr331 rims. 380g each as opposed to the 620g Bontrager standard rims. Also fork wise I have a Rockshox 30 gold rl preordered (not available till 11th March) this has 100mm travel but with remote lockout. The standard suntours weigh approx 2400g and the Rockshoxs weigh approx 1800g. With both these installed the bike should be noticeably quicker.

For my my commute I’ve switched out to continental top contact 2 tyres, currently I don’t feel much difference from the standard tyres �� but I haven’t been that well so could be why. Again will feedback after a while of riding.
Old 02-26-19, 10:49 PM
SoberPanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nicktrek8.4

Yes I meant clipless lol. The rims are an investment much like anything you get for the bike. I’ll let you know soon if they really do make a difference on the Ds as I’ve just ordered some DT Swiss xr331 rims. 380g each as opposed to the 620g Bontrager standard rims. Also fork wise I have a Rockshox 30 gold rl preordered (not available till 11th March) this has 100mm travel but with remote lockout. The standard suntours weigh approx 2400g and the Rockshoxs weigh approx 1800g. With both these installed the bike should be noticeably quicker.

For my my commute I’ve switched out to continental top contact 2 tyres, currently I don’t feel much difference from the standard tyres �� but I haven’t been that well so could be why. Again will feedback after a while of riding.
thanks Nick, looking forward to your feedback.
Old 03-02-19, 11:17 AM
SoberPanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello, Have any of you tried 700* 28 tyres on DS4? Do they fit?
Old 03-04-19, 12:36 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Bikes: Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello, Have any of you tried 700* 28 tyres on DS4? Do they fit?
I should think so, although mines older mine came stock with 700x28, now running 29x2.0 which I think is close to 50mm.
What size have you got on there now?
Old 03-04-19, 01:59 AM
SoberPanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I should think so, although mines older mine came stock with 700x28, now running 29x2.0 which I think is close to 50mm.
It came with 700*38c and the rims are Bontrager Tubeless Ready Disc, 32h. Somehow I dont find details of any of the parts used in DS individually on internet.
Old 03-04-19, 06:23 AM
hokiefyd 

700x28mm tires will definitely fit. They'll be pretty narrow, but they'll fit.
Old 04-04-19, 10:31 AM
Armyguy1914

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hello

What is the difference between Dual sport 3 and 4 ?? The price difference ?
Old 04-11-19, 07:55 AM
SoberPanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I did finally put some Schwalbe Marathon Supremes 32 on it. It rolls much better than the Bontragers. Not sure if that's all tires or I got better as well lol.
Old 04-11-19, 06:16 PM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just got my new Bike awesome feeling

I just picked up a 2018 Trek Dual Sport 3 Bike. Its at my LBS getting inspected and I hope to have it back by this weekend to ride.!!!

My new Bike !! Dual Sport 3

Cant wait to ride

Finally got it in my car
Old 04-11-19, 08:02 PM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^Nice bike, I like the color. Let us know if you like it more after you have ridden it....
Old 04-12-19, 04:37 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hopefully I get to ride this weekend.

Originally Posted by 308jerry
^^^^Nice bike, I like the color. Let us know if you like it more after you have ridden it....
Hopefully I get to ride this weekend.So far I heard it's going to rain 80% Fri and Sat and 100 on Sun So weekend in the toilet now.
Old 04-13-19, 07:28 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914
Hopefully I get to ride this weekend.So far I heard it's going to rain 80% Fri and Sat and 100 on Sun So weekend in the toilet now.

I hear ya.... Between the blizzard conditions and the 30 mph winds on days it doesn't snow around here, we haven't been able to ride much either
Old 04-15-19, 09:03 AM
zurcenegue

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2019 Trek DS4

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got my 2019 Trek DS4

Hello Fellow Dual Sports Cylist

I got my second DS4 last satuday, yes it is my second DS4. :-). My 1st DS4 is 2017 model and I love it, but realize it is small(especially the seat tube, to front) to me because the size 15.5 and my height is almost 5'7(I did not pay attention when I bought it as it is the suggestion of my LBS technician. my bad :-) )

To make the long story short, my wife wants to be involved in biking, so I decided to give my 2017 DS4 to her(instead of buying her with Trek DS for women) so that I can move to bigger 17.5(medium size) 2019 DS4.
I know the risky part of this decision because I don't know if my wife will be comfortable with DS4 15.5. She still under testing. If we found out if DS4 15.5 is too big, I will sell my bike and look for DS for women.

To be honest, I like the build of 2017 DS4 compare to my 2019 DS4.

I will post the picture of my side by side

Last edited by zurcenegue; 04-15-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-21-19, 09:48 PM
vignesh_ce

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have clocked just over 600 km in DS3 in 3 months of ownership. I like it a lot due to the versatility - take it anywhere you want. Recently, I started riding with cycling group, where most of them have road bikes and I find it difficult to keep the pace with them. Initially, I thought it's my stamina/pedalling power but later when we swapped our cycle, I realised how easy to ride a road bike - it just glides the road.

So, now what changes I can do myself or to my bike to keep in pace with the road bikers? They are not professional but just amateur like me.
Old 04-22-19, 07:49 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vignesh_ce
I have clocked just over 600 km in DS3 in 3 months of ownership. I like it a lot due to the versatility - take it anywhere you want. Recently, I started riding with cycling group, where most of them have road bikes and I find it difficult to keep the pace with them. Initially, I thought it's my stamina/pedalling power but later when we swapped our cycle, I realised how easy to ride a road bike - it just glides the road.

So, now what changes I can do myself or to my bike to keep in pace with the road bikers? They are not professional but just amateur like me.
The best thing really is to get a road bike. Once you start modding your DS3 to be more road oriented, you will start losing the "go anywhere, ride anytime" abilities of the dual sport bikes. Then even then, it still won't be as light and allow you to tuck in like a road bike. You can try switching to narrower tires and slamming the stem and keeping your fork always locked, beyond that you need stronger legs. I still think you should just get a road bike if you plan to ride with people on road bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.