Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pinarello . . .

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Pinarello . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 09:21 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Pinarello . . .

Had heard of Pinarello brand tandem being available in the US but had not spotted one until today.
Rode Bike Patrol (on my single) for the local Tour of the Tucson Mountains. At the finish line was a duo in matching Texas flag jerseys with a flashy blue/white Pinarello tandem.
Hard to ignore the mega size Pinarello decals. Being curious (OK, nosy!), decided to take a quick peek. Rolf wheels, Sugino crank, XTR stuff, Avid discs, alu fork.
Was told by owner it was superlight Scandium tubing, and that the tandem weighed 28 lbs.
Told him we rode a tandem in that weight range and could I heft it/pick it up. The very firm answer was 'No'.
Oops, my bad . . .
Internet lists that for as low as $4,699 (and up + shipping) you can indeed purchase a Pinarello 4-Power 2-seater with a claimed weight of 'frame only' of 3.97 lbs! Available in one-size and color as stated, components not as pictured.
Been around tandems long enough that a sub-4-lbs alu-type frame is not quite a reality yet.
Compared to Santana's Scandium at $7295, a Pinarello @ $4699 would indeed be a hell of a bargain.
But before you get too x-cited . . . suggest you ride both Scandiums before plunkin' your money down!
Spotted about a dozen tandems at today's event from Diamondback to Cannondale, KHS, Burley, Co-Motion . . . and oh, yes, a Pinarello!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 04-28-08, 07:16 AM
the desert fox

Bikes: 1997 TREK 6500, 1998 KLEIN Mantra Race, 2004 KONA dew (SOLD),2006 SCOTT SUB (SOLD),2008 GIANT OCR (SOLD), 2006 TREK T900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen this model in the Toronto Bike Show last March. The one thing I noticed that it had the disk brake specific Shimano Deore FH-M525 rear hub. I'm wondering if it's just the regular Deore respaced 145mm.
Old 05-01-08, 04:24 AM
mrfish

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Local dealer showed me it in the brochure. I made nice noises as the Pinarello graphic design department did a good job.

However in my view it's not a serious offering, mainly because it only comes in one size. Also I'd guess that the stoker area is a bit short based on the limited dimensions I've seen. Better IMO to get a Cannondale or Trek in a tried and tested design in a size that fits you for less money.

All that said I would really like to see a Pinarello carbon tandem as I think they could build a good one.
Old 05-01-08, 04:42 AM
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw this at the 2006 Milan Show:

Old 05-01-08, 06:45 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
What, no warped forks and seat stays?

I'm waiting for the "Prince" Tandem to come out.
Old 05-01-08, 06:18 PM
zonatandem

That's exactly as the twicer we saw last Sunday . . . but a sub 4-lb frame?
Old 05-01-08, 06:49 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There's a pop-culture expression harkening back to the beginning of the end of the Happy Days sitcom that seems quite apropos for Pinarello's 4Power tandem venture:

Good grief... at least they could have given it racing geometry instead of touring-length stays and all of the other trappings of run-of-the-mill general purpose tandem frame sporting garish graphics that embodies nothing worthwhile for which Pinarello is renown.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 05-01-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 10:44 PM
zonatandem

Remove all them graphix and it'll be lighter yet!
Old 05-02-08, 08:23 AM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kind of like the looks of it.......it has a little bit of that classic 60's -70's Italian look going for it and it is a twicer...what's not to like?.....then again my stoker says I've never had much taste for the finer things..so I just pedal.
Bill J.
Old 05-02-08, 09:13 AM
Pista Largo

Bikes: Bianchi, Trek, Another Trek, Raleigh, Fuji and Santana and another Santana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It should be red. Pinarellos should be red.
Old 05-02-08, 10:22 AM
swc7916

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Was told by owner it was superlight Scandium tubing, and that the tandem weighed 28 lbs.
Told him we rode a tandem in that weight range and could I heft it/pick it up. The very firm answer was 'No'.
Why was that? Do people not want you to touch their bike, or are they afraid that you're going to think it weighs more than they claimed?
Old 05-02-08, 05:23 PM
Knubby
Too lazy to pedal

Bikes: Trek road and mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the ad below, the frame weighs in at 6.55lbs.

https://www.precisiontandems.com/cat_files/pinarello.htm
Old 05-22-08, 04:55 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Wait! I was under the impression that Santana is the only tandem manufacturer entitled to make over the top claims!
Old 03-03-19, 10:17 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have owned and raced this tandem since 2007. It's geometry has done us well with at least 25 Double Centuries (innumerable centuries) and 3 Furnace Creek/Silver State 508's. Saturday March 9th we will do another Double Century my 56th and my stoker's 40th. It may not have classic race geometry as TandemGeek states but I have successfully captured quite a few KOM's on Strava, not intentionally of course, but just from the pure joy of having fun going fast down a twisty mountain. What would be race geometry for a tandem? I am considering having LandShark make me a tandem with couplings and would like to hear what changes to the Pinarello 4Power tandem would be suggested.
Old 03-03-19, 10:21 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stumbled upon this thread looking for the frame weight of my Pinarello tandem as I am requesting spec weights from LandShark for a new tandem with couplings. The next time I do a complete tear down I could weigh mine and put this issue to rest. I just haven't ever weighed the naked frame in my previous overhauls.
Old 03-04-19, 12:35 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
... What would be race geometry for a tandem? I am considering having LandShark make me a tandem with couplings and would like to hear what changes to the Pinarello 4Power tandem would be suggested. ...
I'm on my 5th tandem now, getting back into it after living cycling through my kid. I did tandem race.

For a TT - as little as you can have in the middle and parallel tubes - and longer to flatten the stoker.

For a tandem stage race, general purpose pac riding, that (your picture) geometry is good. It depends a lot on frame material. New carbon / oversized tube frames can do without a diag of any kind. But shorter and stiff fork. You likely will be out of the saddle sprinting. I prefer same side drive for the sync chain. It just handles the power better. Electronic rear shifting makes a huge difference. I'm ridding alloy now, but have to say, I still like the spring and snap of my older steel bikes even if they were pounds heavier.
Old 03-06-19, 04:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
I stumbled upon this thread looking for the frame weight of my Pinarello tandem
you ... 'stumbled' across a 10 year dead thread? I got suspicious when I saw TandemGeek as one of the contributors ... I'll save my efforts for a fresher topic but I can't help wondering why the weight of a frame matters when it is impossible to ride a frame without its running gear.
Old 03-08-19, 11:18 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
you ... 'stumbled' across a 10 year dead thread? I got suspicious when I saw TandemGeek as one of the contributors ... I'll save my efforts for a fresher topic but I can't help wondering why the weight of a frame matters when it is impossible to ride a frame without its running gear.
Frame/fork weight could be important to me if I was planning on switching my existing "running gear" over to a different frame.
Brent